• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Josh.ai

I'm hoping so - similar to the AVA Remote demo from CEDIA 2022 shown in the video link below. Can skip 1:00 mark to see the text readout example.

You can adjust the sensitivity in portal.josh.ai. You have to go to settings > devices > Josh Micro > Micro Settings > Sensitivity. I believe default is 3. Try 2. This setting was previously labeled microphone level. I turned it up to 5 because I sit away from my Micro sometimes. With the recent update they rename it sensitivity to wake word. When it was at 5, it would wake up every time anyone said anything with shh in it. Now I reduced it to 4 in most rooms.

With a single Micro, optimized placement is difficult since it needs to be hard wired to the internet and naturally you place it near your ethernet socket. If you later add more Micros, hardwire the one that you don’t use often and setup your living room one with Wi-Fi. Try some placement for the most optimized performance. Typically extreme off-axis from your speakers or very close to your sitting position will work the best.
Thank you for your thorough reply. I’ve adjusted it to “2” using your helpful instructions. I update you if it helps tonight.

I have been a long time Apple TV user but recently switched to Roku Ultra. I was tired of waiting for Apple to open its APIs to custom integrators. I don’t think it will ever happen.

Unfortunately you can not get the same functionality from your Apple TV. Josh or any other device can not even call apps, let alone specified contents within those apps. Siri is your best friend with the Apple TV.

Roku Ultra GUI isn’t as snappy as TvOS on ATV. It’s upscaling is garbage. But it is the most integrator friendly streamer out there. It is very reliable. If you have a control system like Control4 or Crestron, you don’t ever use Roku GUI. You got apps or content directly from your 3rd party controller. I have a Lumagen scaler so I don’t care for the internal scaling in the Roku. Roku outputs raw audio too. ATV also converts audio to PCM whereas Roku correctly outputs Dolby Digital Plus.

It’s $650ish each for the Micro and Nano then $600ish for annual subscription for 5 rooms. If you buy all Nanos then you need Josh Core which is like $1800 I think. So the minimum entry is a Micro and 1 yr license, that’s about $1250-1300 without dealer discounts or promos if there are any. It seems very high at first but you give your full blessing after using it a few weeks. We started skeptically with 1 Micro but added Micros in all rooms after a couple of months.
Thank for all the info and help, will let you know what I eventually go with…

What do you guys think about Nvidia Shield vs Roku Ultra for a Control4 + Josh.Ai setup?

I moved from Apple TV 4K (2nd Gen) to Roku Ultra based on my dealer’s recommendation for better integration. I like the mini apps which allow me to access any app directly from my remotes. I believe Nvidia Shield or any GoogleTV can do the same. I believe deep linking also works for GoogleTV. What am I getting more on my Roku Ultra than an Nvidia Shield?

There is one streaming app for a foreign TV station which Roku doesn’t have. Also, I just discovered Roku doesn’t output native refresh rate for most apps except Prime and Disney Plus. There is also a bug in the YouTube software my Lumagen Radiance Pro hates. For this reason I keep my Apple TV 4K in my setup.

Keep an eye on Roku, they had 25% of their available cash, uninsured, in SV Bank.......(although they did announce they should be able to meet expenses).

Jim

What do you guys think about Nvidia Shield vs Roku Ultra for a Control4 + Josh.Ai setup?

I moved from Apple TV 4K (2nd Gen) to Roku Ultra based on my dealer’s recommendation for better integration. I like the mini apps which allow me to access any app directly from my remotes. I believe Nvidia Shield or any GoogleTV can do the same. I believe deep linking also works for GoogleTV. What am I getting more on my Roku Ultra than an Nvidia Shield?

There is one streaming app for a foreign TV station which Roku doesn’t have. Also, I just discovered Roku doesn’t output native refresh rate for most apps except Prime and Disney Plus. There is also a bug in the YouTube software my Lumagen Radiance Pro hates. For this reason I keep my Apple TV 4K in my setup.
Thanks for sharing this. I'm trying to decide same for theater project in construction and current items on my video matrix
  • Apple TV - works well when it does. Do get more lock-ups requiring device reboot (via OvrC Home app) than I'd like.
  • Roku - has worked great comparatively and no lock-ups. However, I'm concerned by the news that Cinelife posted, albeit an investment in a few Roku's won't be a huge loss if they run into further financial trouble.
  • Nvidia Shield - have just started researching and seems to be great for gaming, but wasn't sure how well it is supported from a customer standpoint and integration to Control4 comparatively, even though they have a licensed driver.
Dilemma here is putting in MadVR Envy Extreme for both the non-linear stretching and the other related features. In addition, coupling this with an AVPro Edge MxNet 10G system for the theater that will allow for multi-viewing so can watch sports in 4 quadrants of the projection screen as well as with the gaming devices that'll be integrated. Was going to go with Roku based on reliability and for having ability to watch NFL Sunday Ticket this fall on YouTube. However, if there are issues with a video processor (Lumagen, MadVR, etc.) that may push me in the Apple TV direction for the 4 streaming boxes needed.

Will be interested if the YouTube issue you've mentioned gets worked out in short order.

It did help. Seems to be working fine but without the unintended activations. Thanks.
I changed mine to 3 from 4 last night. So far so good. So false wake ups yet. Josh has adapted to my speech pretty well. Maybe requires less wake word sensitivity to work properly now.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm trying to decide same for theater project in construction and current items on my video matrix
  • Apple TV - works well when it does. Do get more lock-ups requiring device reboot (via OvrC Home app) than I'd like.
  • Roku - has worked great comparatively and no lock-ups. However, I'm concerned by the news that Cinelife posted, albeit an investment in a few Roku's won't be a huge loss if they run into further financial trouble.
  • Nvidia Shield - have just started researching and seems to be great for gaming, but wasn't sure how well it is supported from a customer standpoint and integration to Control4 comparatively, even though they have a licensed driver.
Dilemma here is putting in MadVR Envy Extreme for both the non-linear stretching and the other related features. In addition, coupling this with an AVPro Edge MxNet 10G system for the theater that will allow for multi-viewing so can watch sports in 4 quadrants of the projection screen as well as with the gaming devices that'll be integrated. Was going to go with Roku based on reliability and for having ability to watch NFL Sunday Ticket this fall on YouTube. However, if there are issues with a video processor (Lumagen, MadVR, etc.) that may push me in the Apple TV direction for the 4 streaming boxes needed.

Will be interested if the YouTube issue you've mentioned gets worked out in short order.
Like many Apple TV users (gen1-3) I had intermittent audio drop outs (few sec each time) when streaming Atmos shows. These have mostly subsided. if they start occurring I just change audio to 5.1 and that works for that show. Roku Ultra for me ALWAYS presents a HDCP error page which is also shared by many. Roku offers strong advice about how to counter this repeated problem. None of those work. So I have both and switch back and forth depending on which is the least annoying.

I got some replies outside here to my Roku vs Others for Control4 and Josh.Ai question including an answer to my email to Josh.Ai support.

Currently, only Roku offers deep linking with Josh.Ai. With the Nvidia Shield, Josh can use the mini apps on Control4 and take you directly to streaming app you call out for but can't take you directly to movies or shows you call out for. Apple TV can't even do this. At best, Josh can switch input to Apple TV, that's all. This is unlikely to change because Apple won't release APIs needed for this integration. I guess I am staying with Roku because of this but will keep an Apple TV in the setup as a back up.

I did some research on the refresh rate match issue with some of the streaming apps on Roku. Apparently, Netflix and some other streaming services use 24.00 fps rather than 23.976 fps which is the common standard. Roku OS can not display integer refresh rates like 24.00 and 60.00 and must convert to fractional refresh rates of 59.96. Because of this there is going to be micro stutters. Roku is doing a 3:2 pull down here for this conversion. Lumagen and MadVR should be able to reverse it and reconstruct 24.00 fps. I need to look into Control4 programming to see if this can be automated and only applied on these specific apps when they are playing content.

I made some progress on the YouTube app issue. There are some hidden menus in Roku OS. I was able to disable HDMI auto recovery and HDMI Fast Suspend in the hidden display menu. Now Roku stays in the correct display setting rather than switching back to auto every start up. So far working well.

Like many Apple TV users (gen1-3) I had intermittent audio drop outs (few sec each time) when streaming Atmos shows. These have mostly subsided. if they start occurring I just change audio to 5.1 and that works for that show. Roku Ultra for me ALWAYS presents a HDCP error page which is also shared by many. Roku offers strong advice about how to counter this repeated problem. None of those work. So I have both and switch back and forth depending on which is the least annoying.
thanks for that info. definitely have the dropouts on audio on the Apple TV at times or delays. Have had issues also with no audio for minutes at a time. Then when switching to watch same program (i.e. a Netflix stream of Breaking Bad) on Roku it plays immediately with none of the audio issues in the same codecs/format. Also have handshake issues at times with Apple TV as it switches video format settings without my intervention resulting in a no signal message. Then have to reset the device and get it back to the proper video settings. Bought both of my ATV's 4K's in 2021 but was planning to get the newer ones soon (maybe). Have never had the HDCP errors or anything related for the Roku Ultra's in the 4 years of owning them so go figure. The wife definitely prefers Apple TV interface but the lockups are annoying. Hoping its better with the current generation unit.

Josh Ai is Amazing. Thanks to Ari @chopedogg88, I am 90% up and running. Huge smile to say watch Top Gun Maverick and see the system go to the movie and start playing.

This is amazing

Josh One???

No i/o ports, no zigbee/z-wave, what is this device for really?

Also curious to know how this lawsuit will effect me with both Control4 and Josh Ai in my setup.

Hopefully, Snap AV buys Josh Ai and makes it simpler for us consumers. Put that Josh Ai functionality into the Control4 Core 5 controller and be done with it.

It’s designed to give you an all in one device to control your home from a single app. It’s a good inexpensive way to get started and you can expand on it. The lawsuit doesn’t affect anything and business as usual with the c4 josh integration. I personally did not like any of those remotes in the lawsuit anyway.
Josh is a solid company and is not selling to anyone. Josh has direct integration with kaleidescape , Lutron, sonos , locks, garage doors , tv’s , avr’s etc. They have a great demo at cedia. Speaking of demos. The Kaleidescape Trinnov Madvr demo is excellent.

It’s designed to give you an all in one device to control your home from a single app. It’s a good inexpensive way to get started and you can expand on it.
This is what I thought but then I saw there are no I/O ports in the back. So you still need the Josh Core for VoiceCast'ing and any legacy device integration with IR or serial is out of question. What's the msrp on it? If you can't list it here, is it significantly less than the Josh Core?

The lawsuit doesn’t affect anything and business as usual with the c4 josh integration. I personally did not like any of those remotes in the lawsuit anyway.
Josh is a solid company and is not selling to anyone. Josh has direct integration with kaleidescape , Lutron, sonos , locks, garage doors , tv’s , avr’s etc. They have a great demo at cedia. Speaking of demos. The Kaleidescape Trinnov Madvr demo is excellent.

This is good to know. Josh integration with the Halo voice button was in the talks before this lawsuit. Do you know this is still expected?

Does it work with Josh Nano or is Core still needed?
Looking at its back, it doesn't have any audio i/o. I don't see how you could get the Nanos speak.

Maybe you can do Nano + One + Sonos speakers. Do you even need the One if you have Nanos and Sonos speakers?

Looking at its back, it doesn't have any audio i/o. I don't see how you could get the Nanos speak.

Maybe you can do Nano + One + Sonos speakers. Do you even need the One if you have Nanos and Sonos speakers?
Currently, I have a Micro in two rooms and plan to add a third one. I have no need for the Core as there is no legacy stuff to integrate or need audio I/o. I am just not sure what the use case is. My media room is getting finished, and want to make up my mind to go to another Micro or Core/One/Nano before starting the rack wiring.

Cheers

Back