• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Josh.ai

Josh works great in my home. I first started with several micros and have since added in the core and nanos. I have noticed an increase in response. I don’t think we are there yet with locally processing voice commands. Also keep in mind you cannot have the nano without the core. If you just want to try it out, start with the micro.

I also have the new halo remotes and the voice control of apple is instant. We will soon see halo voice control of josh so we will be able to use the halo for whole house voice control.
very nice! very similar experience and have 3 Halo's so far and really like them much better than the NEEO's they replaced. I'm curious to see the Josh voice control as well on the Halo's when it becomes available. Haven't done the Siri/Apple voice integration and might not if the Josh integration comes in the next few months.

Josh works great in my home. I first started with several micros and have since added in the core and nanos. I have noticed an increase in response. I don’t think we are there yet with locally processing voice commands. Also keep in mind you cannot have the nano without the core. If you just want to try it out, start with the micro.

I also have the new halo remotes and the voice control of apple is instant. We will soon see halo voice control of josh so we will be able to use the halo for whole house voice control.
This is great!

What do you use for audio with Josh Core? Do you need to keep the audio setup powered on at all in times for quick voice feedback from Josh? Otherwise I assume it will take a second or two for the power amps to power on every time Josh needs to speak.

Do you know if T4 series touch screens will get any voice integration or this is exclusive to Halo remotes?

Did you hear anything about Chatgbt integration timeline?

Another general question about other user feedback, have any of you installed more than 1 Micro or Nano into the same room? This is to optimize the microphones.

I had a few instances I had to speak loudly to Josh because I was further away from it. Matter of fact, Micro in the next room also heard the wake up word when I shouted it loud. They were pretty smart to coordinate. The closest one replied and the farther one ignored my commands.

A little more complex setup question, I have my kitchen open to my living room. Currently I placed a Micro on the kitchen counter which is where the kitchen and living room split occurs. Micro thinks it’s in the living room. I am questioning whether I should add another Micro closer to my sitting area in the living room. Assign this one to living room and change the other one to kitchen. Since there is no wall between rooms, will they work well? Theoretically they will both hear me but the closest one should execute commands while the other ignores them. Have any of you tried a setup like this?

This is great!

What do you use for audio with Josh Core? Do you need to keep the audio setup powered on at all in times for quick voice feedback from Josh? Otherwise I assume it will take a second or two for the power amps to power on every time Josh needs to speak.

Do you know if T4 series touch screens will get any voice integration or this is exclusive to Halo remotes?

For myself, the speakers in the same zone as the nano is designated act as their speakers. So they serve a dual purpose of playing music/podcasts, etc. and then, confirming by voice, the commands I've requested. In those zones of the Nano-Core combination the ducking feature works just fine when music is playing to hear and respond. The speakers also act as an intercom for the C4 Door Station as I have it announce when someone is at the front door for certain common zones.

I have separate audio/speakers for surround for video zones distinct from purely audio zones.

As far as T4 integration I'm not sure. That might be a good question to post in the Control Users Forum site.

ChatGPT is just in their discovery phase for Josh.ai. The founder posted a video on YouTube showing some of the capabilities they are exploring but would assume it is on the roadmap, but maybe not for release in this calendar year is my guess

Josh.ai Founder - ChatGPT YouTube Video

Another general question about other user feedback, have any of you installed more than 1 Micro or Nano into the same room? This is to optimize the microphones.

I had a few instances I had to speak loudly to Josh because I was further away from it. Matter of fact, Micro in the next room also heard the wake up word when I shouted it loud. They were pretty smart to coordinate. The closest one replied and the farther one ignored my commands.

A little more complex setup question, I have my kitchen open to my living room. Currently I placed a Micro on the kitchen counter which is where the kitchen and living room split occurs. Micro thinks it’s in the living room. I am questioning whether I should add another Micro closer to my sitting area in the living room. Assign this one to living room and change the other one to kitchen. Since there is no wall between rooms, will they work well? Theoretically they will both hear me but the closest one should execute commands while the other ignores them. Have any of you tried a setup like this?
Regarding your last point there is a beta that was available that will do room/zone grouping. I don't recall the specifics but this was discussed a Josh forum they had with their dealer network last October. Something that you may wanna ask your integrator about.

This is great!

I have the the Core connected to my whole house Triad Matrix. The Triad amps are always on. I would say I hear a response in about 2-3 seconds from the overhead speakers. I was considering turning off the response, but I see we have some cool Josh things coming our way soon.

I am told we will be able to use the T4 as a voice point for Josh very soon, However..... There MAY NOT be a wake word... That means we will have to actually walk up to the T4 and press a josh button. (sucks I know but its better then nothing)

Josh has started the testing to some dealers and its working quite well so far

Substance.. this is a good call for Support. They can assist you in optimizing your microphones and placements, etc. Closest one will usually take over but it also will look for sources. So if you try to watch a movie and both micros pick it up, the living room will take over since that is the zone with the Video source

I have the the Core connected to my whole house Triad Matrix. The Triad amps are always on. I would say I hear a response in about 2-3 seconds from the overhead speakers. I was considering turning off the response, but I see we have some cool Josh things coming our way soon.

I am told we will be able to use the T4 as a voice point for Josh very soon, However..... There MAY NOT be a wake word... That means we will have to actually walk up to the T4 and press a josh button. (sucks I know but its better then nothing)

Josh has started the testing to some dealers and its working quite well so far
We use it for doorbell announcements and pausing movies when it rings. Works very well.

I may not know how, but I'd like for the ability to use it to make announcements thru the home. We don't have T3/T4's in all rooms but when we have guests staying with us and want to announce (dinner's ready, we're ready to leave, etc.) that Josh could then repeat that in all rooms since we have a Micro or Nano in all bedrooms and main common area zones.

Yes that would work with josh. . I also have chowmain advanced announcement driver which lets you record your voice into your cell phone then it plays in whatever zones you want.

Looking to add Josh.ai
does it allow you to fast forward and rewind with voice like if I say rewind 30 seconds it would be able to do that ?

Looking to add Josh.ai
does it allow you to fast forward and rewind with voice like if I say rewind 30 seconds it would be able to do that ?

I can browse YouTube with Josh. For example, I tell him press down and press right twice to navigate videos then I tell him to press enter to start a video. We use ”pause the video”, “resume the video”, “turn on subtitles” very often and works great on most source devices.

I am sure it can fast forward and rewind but I believe it will be app specific for detailed commands like ”rewind 30 seconds”. I believe Josh is limited to the available buttons on the player device and specific apps. For example ”play/pause” works for Kaleidescape because it has such buttons on its remote but on Roku it is ”press enter/ok” to start/play/pause content on most apps because those apps are designed that way. I hope this makes sense?

Depending on your controller, I have Control4, you can probably setup Macros, Screens and other custom commands which you can teach Josh to execute when you say “Hey Josh, rewind 30 seconds”. I am still a newbie with Josh. Maybe others can correct me if I am wrong or add their two cents beyond my points.

You didn’t ask but it is likely going to be your next curiosity. Deep linking is currently a hit or miss. I can tell Josh I want to watch Law & Order SVU and he will find something else. If I say I want to watch Special Victims Unit then it will take me to Hulu and start Season 18 Episode 1 every time. I tried giving much more specific commands like Special Victims Unit Season 3 Episode 5 and it will still get you to Season 18 Episode 1 each time. Another example, I say Hey Josh, I want to watch The Lion King, although I have both the new and old ones on Kaleidescape and I specified Kaleidescape as my top priority source in settings, it will find the new remake on Disney Plus. Another example, Josh can’t find The Mandalorian at all. Oh also, Josh pronounces Kaleidescape “clean escape” or “kleid escape” or something like that. If you want to watch or listen to something with non-english name/title, forget it. I am sure these will improve over time. I have only owned my Micros for a few months. I can say they have shown noticeable improvements overall in such a short time. It can finally say my name correctly. My first name is Mahir. He called me Major, Mayor and at one point, My Hair :)

Thanks for all the info
just what I was looking for
so should also work with Apple TV the way you described ?
with Apple TV every app I can pretty much use Siri to rewind what time frame I tell it and would like to get this usage with Josh also.

deep linking sounds interestin, that should hopefully be something that improves with time.

what device do you use with Josh ?

also what is pricing for Josh.ai, just looking to do a single room at the moment ?

thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info
just what I was looking for
so should also work with Apple TV the way you described ?
with Apple TV every app I can pretty much use Siri to rewind what time frame I tell it and would like to get this usage with Josh also.

deep linking sounds interestin, that should hopefully be something that improves with time.

what device do you use with Josh ?

also what is pricing for Josh.ai, just looking to do a single room at the moment ?

thanks
I have been a long time Apple TV user but recently switched to Roku Ultra. I was tired of waiting for Apple to open its APIs to custom integrators. I don’t think it will ever happen.

Unfortunately you can not get the same functionality from your Apple TV. Josh or any other device can not even call apps, let alone specified contents within those apps. Siri is your best friend with the Apple TV.

Roku Ultra GUI isn’t as snappy as TvOS on ATV. It’s upscaling is garbage. But it is the most integrator friendly streamer out there. It is very reliable. If you have a control system like Control4 or Crestron, you don’t ever use Roku GUI. You got apps or content directly from your 3rd party controller. I have a Lumagen scaler so I don’t care for the internal scaling in the Roku. Roku outputs raw audio too. ATV also converts audio to PCM whereas Roku correctly outputs Dolby Digital Plus.

It’s $650ish each for the Micro and Nano then $600ish for annual subscription for 5 rooms. If you buy all Nanos then you need Josh Core which is like $1800 I think. So the minimum entry is a Micro and 1 yr license, that’s about $1250-1300 without dealer discounts or promos if there are any. It seems very high at first but you give your full blessing after using it a few weeks. We started skeptically with 1 Micro but added Micros in all rooms after a couple of months.

Regarding your last point there is a beta that was available that will do room/zone grouping. I don't recall the specifics but this was discussed a Josh forum they had with their dealer network last October. Something that you may wanna ask your integrator about.
Can you direct me to the Josh forum? I didn’t know there was one.

I don't think there is Josh.ai run forum. It might just be discussed in another forum

I have Josh Ai and Control4. I just use one micro in the same room as my HT. I have an issue of Josh “hearing“ a wake command when I watch streamed TV shows or movies. I have had to ask Josh mute itself to prevent it. I cycled through all the wake words. I am currently on Ok Home. Does anyone else have this issue? Or a suggested fix?

I have Josh Ai and Control4. I just use one micro in the same room as my HT. I have an issue of Josh “hearing“ a wake command when I watch streamed TV shows or movies. I have had to ask Josh mute itself to prevent it. I cycled through all the wake words. I am currently on Ok Home. Does anyone else have this issue? Or a suggested fix?
Not here. Have had a Micro in the family room for almost 3 years and only had it happen 1-2 times but have my sensitivity level adjusted. For bedrooms I haven't had this issue at all but they don't have a much media / streaming viewing as that space. I am building my HT and made the decision to not put a Josh device in there for the reason you are stating. Plus once they announced Josh integration with the Halo remotes forthcoming it prevented a need for one. So not a great solution but perhaps may choose to add a command to just have it do actions upon entering the room that will then automatically mute it upon playing media with a scene command. Then if get a HALO can use the voice commands on the remote. Not great but an idea.

You can adjust the sensitivity in portal.josh.ai. You have to go to settings > devices > Josh Micro > Micro Settings > Sensitivity. I believe default is 3. Try 2. This setting was previously labeled microphone level. I turned it up to 5 because I sit away from my Micro sometimes. With the recent update they rename it sensitivity to wake word. When it was at 5, it would wake up every time anyone said anything with shh in it. Now I reduced it to 4 in most rooms.

With a single Micro, optimized placement is difficult since it needs to be hard wired to the internet and naturally you place it near your ethernet socket. If you later add more Micros, hardwire the one that you don’t use often and setup your living room one with Wi-Fi. Try some placement for the most optimized performance. Typically extreme off-axis from your speakers or very close to your sitting position will work the best.

Last edited:
Not here. Have had a Micro in the family room for almost 3 years and only had it happen 1-2 times but have my sensitivity level adjusted. For bedrooms I haven't had this issue at all but they don't have a much media / streaming viewing as that space. I am building my HT and made the decision to not put a Josh device in there for the reason you are stating. Plus once they announced Josh integration with the Halo remotes forthcoming it prevented a need for one. So not a great solution but perhaps may choose to add a command to just have it do actions upon entering the room that will then automatically mute it upon playing media with a scene command. Then if get a HALO can use the voice commands on the remote. Not great but an idea.
I wonder if Halo remote will show text of your commands like Josh app does. Do you know if Josh will use the microphone button on the Halo remotes? That would be very convenient.

I got a T4 10” tablet for my living room. No one other than myself use it. I wanted the big tablet because of the chowmein Kaleidescape driver which let’s you browse your library. I rarely use that driver. Right now it is acting as a display for the music content. I can see the artist, album and track names. It also automatically shows the video feed from the Chime doorbell if someone is at the door. It is an overkill for this but I will keep it. I do want to add a Halo or Halo Touch eventually. I think I like to have a remote with more traditional form factor and with physical buttons for transport controls.

Back