• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Josh.ai

Currently, I have a Micro in two rooms and plan to add a third one. I have no need for the Core as there is no legacy stuff to integrate or need audio I/o. I am just not sure what the use case is. My media room is getting finished, and want to make up my mind to go to another Micro or Core/One/Nano before starting the rack wiring.

Cheers
Josh Nano is mic only and doesn't have any speakers. It can hear you but can't reply (by voice) to you unless you pair it with the Josh Core which must be connected to your audio equipment. A typical setup is the Josh Core connected to a distributed multi-room audio system via audio matrix switch(s) and Josh Nanos in each room.

An alternative to this is the Sonos integration. Josh can be setup to use Sonos speakers to talk to you. You can route the audio from Josh Micros to Sonos speakers too.

You can do one of these three:

1- You can get another Josh Micro
2- You can get another Josh Micro and 3 Sonos One SL wireless speakers (one for each room with Josh Micro). The only benefit of this setup is louder and clearer audio replies from Josh through Sonos speakers. (plus Sonos audio apps).
3- If you have the following, you can get another Josh Nano and Josh Core.
3a- An audio matrix switch serving audio to multiple rooms including the rooms with Josh Micro and Nanos.
3b- Your audio matrix switch needs to be one from the Josh Ai integration list so it can switch inputs and outputs.

I am still not sure what Josh One is for.

The one starts as a stand alone control system with no voice. It’s an app based system that will control all of your tech using a single app. Think of a someone using 4 different apps to control things in the home. You can add on voice later, add micros , Nano and core. And for clarification , the nano requires the core.

How does Josh integrate with Control4? Besides just using Control4 apps/remotes, we have ours integrated with Alexa. Frankly has been 100% reliable. “Alexa, turn on Family Room Kaleidescape“ and then we grab one of our new Halo Touch remotes and go from there….

How does Josh integrate with Control4? Besides just using Control4 apps/remotes, we have ours integrated with Alexa. Frankly has been 100% reliable. “Alexa, turn on Family Room Kaleidescape“ and then we grab one of our new Halo Touch remotes and go from there….
josh has a direct control4 integration. You can ask josh to do multiple things at once. (Josh watch kaleidescape , close the shades dim the lights over 2 minutes and tell the family it’s movie time) it’s also very easy to create custom josh scenes integrated with control4.

Josh Ai is Amazing. Thanks to Ari @chopedogg88, I am 90% up and running. Huge smile to say watch Top Gun Maverick and see the system go to the movie and start playing.
Just imagining the afterburners kicking in with 120dB and you shouting "VOLUME DOWN! VOLUME DOWN!" :LOL:

We went from Alexa/Control4 to Josh Ai/Control4 about a year ago. Alexa didn’t work well other than very basic commands. If you have Control4 4sight subscription, you could see the entire list of commands Alexa could respond to which was about 40 or 50 commands for our home. You couldn’t give multiple commands at once. Alexa was ahead in searching the web for you until a few months ago when Josh Ai added ChatGPT.

Alexa is a lot more economic depending on case by case. We bought Josh Micro’s instead Control4 Halo Touch’s to some of our rooms which saved us money. We initially considered having both Josh and the remotes in these rooms. A few weeks later we realized we would have never used the remotes as the voice control was more than adequate for these rooms. Josh claims high privacy. I don’t have a way to confirm that. I know for a fact you have no privacy with Alexa. I got myself accustomed to not care about this much as it is inevitable.

The one starts as a stand alone control system with no voice. It’s an app based system that will control all of your tech using a single app. Think of a someone using 4 different apps to control things in the home. You can add on voice later, add micros , Nano and core. And for clarification , the nano requires the core.
I think I get it now. It is kind of like Control4 Core Lite but with voice.

I want to get the Josh AI Cinema One Remote, but I have a question about accessing Control4 activities. I use three music activities in my media room: Sonos, Roon, and SACD Player.

I know Josh will support the Sonos activity. Can Josh somehow control the Roon and SACD playback as well?

I want to get the Josh AI Cinema One Remote, but I have a question about accessing Control4 activities. I use three music activities in my media room: Sonos, Roon, and SACD Player.

I know Josh will support the Sonos activity. Can Josh somehow control the Roon and SACD playback as well?
“When” Josh is setup properly and “doesn’t” need a router reboot it can stop, skip to next song, increase or decrease volume of my roon nucleus. It works about 60% of the time. Josh also will sometimes mistakenly hear its wake words when we are watching something. It decreases the volume dramatically and waits for the command. I have to tell it to mute itself or I can do it on its app. I likely will not renew my yearly ($600) use fee and it has taught me to rely on the Halo remotes instead because of its 40% unreliability. It is better than alexa which constantly adds new capabilities which “blows up” its ability to work with Control4.

They really should work on allowing multi-microphone setups. I don't mean multi-microphones in each unit but multiple units placed strategically in different locations in each room. It is a simple DSP function to filter out ambient/background noise and pick up commands in noisy situations with multiple microphones.

Back