• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Japanese Period Romance Drama Recommendations?

Wbhendrix

So lately I've been on a kick rewatching some early 2000's Japanese & Chinese movies (Memoirs of a Geisha, House of Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger) and I have a hankering to watch more films of a similar feel that I have not seen yet. I love the combination of asian drama, romance and action all set during a period other than modern times.

What other films would you recommend that are in this same niche?

Not from the 2000’s but of similar style and feel is Ran. It is a bit older but is fantastic.

I also liked 13 Assassins.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not from the 2000’s but of similar style and feel is Ran. It is a bit older but is fantastic.

I also liked 13 Assassins.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks! yeah I saw those in the store the other day and put both on my list to watch as well.

I guess i should have specified that they dont need to be movies from the early 2000's... just anything that is similar to the films i initially mentioned.

MOAG was American made, but I get your point. Most of my favorite Japanese films are not in the Store unfortunately, and Andy already mentioned RAN, and on the Chinese side I would recommend Red Cliff if you are okay with movies depicting battle scenes.

I'm very much into Japanese Taiga dramas, but I haven't found any available in the US. I have a strong interest in Japanese history from the Ashikaga period through to the end of the Tokugawa, and most Taiga dramas take place during that period of time in Japan. I'd love to see any of those in the Store, but not likely to ever be available, NHK is tight on distribution.

Jim

MOAG was American made, but I get your point. Most of my favorite Japanese films are not in the Store unfortunately, and Andy already mentioned RAN, and on the Chinese side I would recommend Red Cliff if you are okay with movies depicting battle scenes.

I'm very much into Japanese Taiga dramas, but I haven't found any available in the US. I have a strong interest in Japanese history from the Ashikaga period through to the end of the Tokugawa, and most Taiga dramas take place during that period of time in Japan. I'd love to see any of those in the Store, but not likely to ever be available, NHK is tight on distribution.

Jim

I've been on an IMDB rabbit hole this afternoon and made a list of movies that do look interesting and you're right, very few Taiga dramas are in the K store.
That said, any movie recommendations you have outside of the K store is still much appreciated! (if that is still appropriate in this thread/forum)

There's not much romance here, but "Iron Monkey" is great. Directed by Yuen Woo-ping, who choreographed the fights in movies like "Crouching Tiger," "The Matrix," "Kill Bill," etc.

That said, any movie recommendations you have outside of the K store is still much appreciated! (if that is still appropriate in this thread/forum)

Yes, it's appropriate, this Forum was created as a resource for K owners, and those considering K, but it is not controlled in any way by K. Sharing info regarding content, in the Store or not, is not a problem.

Jim

@Wbhendrix, a few that come to mind are the NHK Taiga dramas on the life stories of Ashikaga Takauji, Oda Nobunaga, and Tokugawa Ieyasu. (When I lived in Japan for 5 years I studied those historical figures extensively, so it was interesting to watch the Taiga dramas about their lives and their impact on Japan historically.) Unfortunately, to my knowledge I believe these are only available in Japan. I haven't searched recently, but every once in awhile you can find them used online, but they tend to be expensive. Note: as you may know these are actually a mini-series, so likely in the 6-disc set minimum range.

Jim

In case you’re not familiar with him, Akira Kurosawa is considered by many to be the greatest of the Japanese directors. So if you enjoy Ran by Kurosawa then you might wish to check out his Seven Samurai (1954) which is considered to be not only his greatest film but also one of the greatest films of all time irregardless of country of origin. It is available on a Criterion Blu-ray.

[BTW, although this is off topic per se, you might be interested to know that John Sturges’ The Magnificent Seven (1960) was a revisionist western, based loosely on Akira Kurosawa’s justly famous Seven Samurai (1954).]

Toshiro Mifune, the preeminent Japanese actor who starred in Seven Samauri, also starred in other Kurosawa films. And if you like Seven Samurai then you might wish to check IMDB to see a list of other Kurosawa films. Criterion has releases a bunch of his best films on Blu-ray.

In addition on a Criterion Blu-ray there is Inagaki's The Samurai Trilogy which also starred Toshiro Mifune.

There is also Shogun (1980), written by James Clavell in which Toshiro Mifune (among others) also stars, on Blu-ray.

In a different vein, but also highly recommendable, there is Kurosawa’s Dreams (executive produced by Spielberg) which is a very powerful, profoundly moving film. Depending on your tastes of course. But for some this is one of the absolute must see films — and maybe the greatest work of art by any filmmaker ever. High praise for sure. And not for everyone. Of course to each their own.

Awesome! Thank you all so much for the recommendations! I’ve already started adding these to my watchlist and can’t wait to dig in.

I met Mifune in 1975 when he showed up at a party for a comedian actor friend (Oka Hachiro) (not the Anime character) in Iwaki, Fukushima, Japan. I had been studying Kendo for a number of years and asked him a technique related question, and to my surprise he said "I never practiced Kendo, or any martial art."

Never met Kurosawa, but his work speaks for itself. (I agree with the 7 Samurai comment, but also put Yojimbo in that category.)

The story of a life transition to the most famous, and arguably the most skilled, swordsman in Japan (Miyamoto Musashi) presented in the Samurai Trilogy is excellent.

For Kurosawa I would add a few other films:

"Yojimbo" and "Sanjuro" are both brilliant.

Also:

George Lucas himself says "The Hidden Fortress" was one title that inspired "Star Wars."

I would put "Harariki" by Masaki Kobayashi into one of the top 10 greatest films ever made.

I haven't seen this in ages, but I remember this Zhang Yimou film being brilliant.

NOW, CAN WE GET THESE ON KALEIDESCAPE PLEASE?!

Back