• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

How Do You Report Import Issues to Kscape?

Steven

Hi,

I've seen some specific import issues directly addressed on this board, which has been very helpful. However, my searches haven't found the general instructions for reporting various issues to Kaleidescape (and I certainly could have missed something). I've had several issues:

1. Disk just will not import - I've had DVDs that, when I put them in my tray, are not recognized at all. Not a recognition error, they just don't do anything. As I understand, the only thing to do is to fill out the form with Kscape and send it to them to 'fix.'

2. Disk imports but nothing is recognized - This is my most frequent experience. The material seems to import and play, but there is not any information recognized. From here there are two options, and I'm not sure what to do, but it relates to the UPC.

A. I have the UPC - I input it where it asks. Now from here, does Kscape know that I have imported a DVD and will now use the UPC to get the correct data in? Or do I still need to report it to them?

B. I don't have a UPC - Is my only option here to fill out the form with Kscape and send the disk(s) to them to put into the system?

3. Disk imports with some information but not all - Seems like it will sometimes have title but no cover art or track info, summary data, etc. Should I leave this be, since it is in the database (expecting the missing information to appear at some point), or should I report an issue?

I have found with my home movies that it really is pretty easy to compile the information. But for a mainstream or fairly mainstream piece of media, I just wonder if I should be reporting issues or trying to fix them on my own, by uploading my own cover art, etc.

Does any of this rambling make sense?

Thanks, Steven:confused:

Hi,

I've seen some specific import issues directly addressed on this board, which has been very helpful. However, my searches haven't found the general instructions for reporting various issues to Kaleidescape (and I certainly could have missed something). I've had several issues:

1. Disk just will not import - I've had DVDs that, when I put them in my tray, are not recognized at all. Not a recognition error, they just don't do anything. As I understand, the only thing to do is to fill out the form with Kscape and send it to them to 'fix.'

You can report this to K by sending an email to support@kaleidescape.com (I usually indicate it is just an FYI and does not require a response because K support works hard, and shouldn't have to stop an answer an email just to say "got it, thanks.") They will make sure the correct person gets the word.

2. Disk imports but nothing is recognized - This is my most frequent experience. The material seems to import and play, but there is not any information recognized. From here there are two options, and I'm not sure what to do, but it relates to the UPC.

When that happens you will normally see an "Enter Details" box show up in the right side column of the "Import" screen (Web User Home Page). Click on that and enter the UPC from the DVD/CD case (including the small numbers at the beginning and end of the UPC) and select "OK". The UPC is sent to K and they will eventually get it into the system, you do not have to do anything else.

A. I have the UPC - I input it where it asks. Now from here, does Kscape know that I have imported a DVD and will now use the UPC to get the correct data in? Or do I still need to report it to them?

See last comment.

B. I don't have a UPC - Is my only option here to fill out the form with Kscape and send the disk(s) to them to put into the system?

Yes (send to K), or put in your own coverart (more work, and enter the movie details yourself (using the same Edit Movie page used for entering UPC. Use the "Enter Movie Details" tab at the bottom of the page)

3. Disk imports with some information but not all - Seems like it will sometimes have title but no cover art or track info, summary data, etc. Should I leave this be, since it is in the database (expecting the missing information to appear at some point), or should I report an issue?

Report to K, (preferably send K the disk).

I have found with my home movies that it really is pretty easy to compile the information. But for a mainstream or fairly mainstream piece of media, I just wonder if I should be reporting issues or trying to fix them on my own, by uploading my own cover art, etc.

Best to send difficult disks to K, but you can always try doing it yourself.

Also, just in case you didn't know, on most of these pages there are small colored "?" (question marks) in the upper left corner that when clicked on provide more guidance for using the selected function.

Does any of this rambling make sense?

No not at all!!:D:D (Kidding!:)) This is why the forum is here.

Thanks, Steven:confused:

No worries, have fun!!

Jim

Hello Steven,

1. If a disc will not import, you should write movieguide-data@kaleidescape.com .

2 and 3. If a disc imports, but is missing some or all of the information, you can either enter the UPC or loan us the disc.

Kaleidescape cannot supply the same level of service available through our loan program with only the UPC. When you loan Kaleidescape your unrecognized discs, we add the information into the Movie and Music Guide databases for you. The DVDs and CDs you loan us are processed for high resolution cover art, aspect ratio information, bookmarks, and detailed information. Kaleidescape will cover the cost of shipping your discs to and from one of our processing facilities.

You can learn more at http://www.kaleidescape.com/loan .

Best regards,
Tom Barnett
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Thanks for commenting Tom.:)

Jim

great info, in fact we should have had it posted here clearly a long time ago.
I'll make this note "sticky" so it's easy to find the info.
--josh

Last edited:
All,

Thank you for the information. Tom, I appreciate the help from Kaleidescape and will certainly take advantage of that procedure.

Thanks, Steven

Cannot play movie

After importing my movie, i got this error message:
CANNOT PLAY MOVIE
This Movie is in a format that is not supported by this display.

What can be done? Not the first time it happen.

Thank You

What is the hardware? And what region do you live in and is it the same region the disc you imported is from? (eg did you import a PAL DVD and youre trying to play it back on NTSC?) Could it be an HDMI error?

I have a Cinema One.

I live in US but i have couple Region 2 DVD. I change the seting to Zone 2 to import all my region 2 dvds.

Dvds are PAL. I am just trying to play it from the cinema one after that. Nothinf to do with the HDMI as it works with all Zone 1 DVD.

Thank You

Is your video display capable or enabled to view PAL content?

If the display is NTSC only you will not be able to view PAL.

I dont think you can change the zone back and forth too much at some point think it has to be locked down.

There is a maximum of four region changes. R1 to R2 and back again would count as two.

It is worth being careful not to end up being locked onto the wrong region!

Do you have a solution for that? I know i have zonefree dvd player and i can play my zone 2 dvd on the TV without a problem.

Most fairly modern video scalers/processors should be able to perform this conversion (if the tv cannot.)

Have you enabled the PAL formats as even being eligible under the video output settings?

So that mean my TV is not able to display PAL content?

I'd be surprised if the TV did not support PAL signals. However some displays (eg the cheaper Samsung models) do not support 50Hz refresh rates over HDMI. I live in a PAL country and Samsung are selling these daft panels that don't support 50Hz refresh rates over HDMI! Try connecting the Cinema One to the display via a non-HDMI method.

Back