• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

HDR titles starting to appear

Yes, you can download them, but it will give you a warning if your equipment is not compatible. However, unless you have an HDR capable display, you likely will not be able to play them. 4K titles can be downrezed to 1080p, but HDR titles, IIRC, only play when the Strato is connected to an HDR display.

Someone please chime in if I am not correct in this.

This is correct. To add a little more detail, by default, the HDR version will not be queued for download from the store unless the system has been connected to an HDR display. However, you can click the "change" link on the download dialog and select the HDR version manually.

But you won't be able to play it on Stratos connected to a non-HDR display.

I spoke to Kaleidescape support
I was told that NO, we cannot even download the HDR title unless a HDR display is connected to the Kaleidescape system

Anyone want to further chime in here?

You might want to look at HDFury Linker or Integral. You should be able to add a HDFury Integral or Linker between the Strato and the display. This will send a HDR EDID to the Strato and SDR picture to the display. This should give the Strato the proper HDR EDID to download.

I have not tried this with Strato, but it does work with Samsung UHD Bluray player. There is a lot of discussion on the HDFury, HDR, and older JVC 4k nonHDR projectors on AVSForums.

I just noticed that "Hacksaw Ridge" has been added with Dolby Atmos. If you have added previously, you will need to delete and re-download.

John

So, how does the size of the K store 4K library compare to any of the 4K streaming services, or is the quality so much better on Kaleidescape that it blows the streaming services out of the water?

Yes, you can download them, but it will give you a warning if your equipment is not compatible. However, unless you have an HDR capable display, you likely will not be able to play them. 4K titles can be downrezed to 1080p, but HDR titles, IIRC, only play when the Strato is connected to an HDR display.

Someone please chime in if I am not correct in this.

Wayne

On my Oppo 203, I can either remove HDR or Strip Metadata and watch in SD/WCG (Standard Dynamic Range and Wide Color Gamut). Until such time as the Strato provides those kinds of functions, I won't be able to buy one as HDR on my projector, which is 4K and supports HDR (and a very low gain screen) is not watchable.

My understanding is if you have both HDR and SDR displays in your system then the K system will give you options to download either. And I think the idea is you would down load both. Which, if I am correct, is really crazy that the Strato cannot do what the Oppo can re: converting HDR-SDR. I wonder how good the conversion is. If I am right then you are downloading perhaps 3 versions of the same movie: 1- HD for Premiere system; 2 SDR UHD; 3- HDR UHD... that's crazy! (I hope to be wrong!)

I don't know how much difference the quality is to the streaming but I am going to find out. My guess, based on experience with HD material, I expect the difference to be ever so slightly noticeable on the larger flat panels (75" or so), more noticeable on projection setups and probably difficult to discern on the 65" and smaller displays.

My understanding is if you have both HDR and SDR displays in your system then the K system will give you options to download either. And I think the idea is you would down load both. Which, if I am correct, is really crazy that the Strato cannot do what the Oppo can re: converting HDR-SDR. I wonder how good the conversion is. If I am right then you are downloading perhaps 3 versions of the same movie: 1- HD for Premiere system; 2 SDR UHD; 3- HDR UHD... that's crazy! (I hope to be wrong!)

I don't know how much difference the quality is to the streaming but I am going to find out. My guess, based on experience with HD material, I expect the difference to be ever so slightly noticeable on the larger flat panels (75" or so), more noticeable on projection setups and probably difficult to discern on the 65" and smaller displays.

I am not familiar with any streaming service that provides full bandwidth audio - it is all 5.1. And I can assure you that 5.1 compressed audio is easily audibly inferior !!! Even if the compressed video, in your opinion, is not discernible.

You mean for movie soundtracks. I thought you meant for just regular audio. I do agree its noticeable- but Ive tried playing regular DD vs Dolby TruHD for people and many people don't notice the difference. I do though. I don't think most people care (sadly) but I also think this is a place all the streamers would have to do is literally flip a switch, and for $x more/ month, presto- whamo! They would be able to match (or even exceed) the quality we have right now. There are streaming services offering lossless audio.

You mean for movie soundtracks. I thought you meant for just regular audio. I do agree its noticeable- but Ive tried playing regular DD vs Dolby TruHD for people and many people don't notice the difference. I do though. I don't think most people care (sadly) but I also think this is a place all the streamers would have to do is literally flip a switch, and for $x more/ month, presto- whamo! They would be able to match (or even exceed) the quality we have right now. There are streaming services offering lossless audio.

What nifty switch does a streamer flip to exceed the quality of high rez audio on a BluRay?

And what streamers (movies, not music) are offering lossless audio?

I don't know right now, all I'm saying is they could do it if they wanted to. My guess is if there is a market for it, they will come in to meet it.

I'm not even sure how to respond to some of the above.

So some comments:

(1) Streaming quality vs Kaleidescape quality (or disc in hand quality): Streaming of full bandwidth 4K (with HDR) and full bandwidth audio will be materially different than what K provides. The streaming options don't provide full band width audio, simply 5.1, and I am not aware of any that stream HDR. I can assure you that 5.1 audio sounds nothing like full bandwidth that comes with K. The differences are anything but subtle (assuming one has an appropriate audio system). As for HDR vs no HDR, as I noted above, for large, low gain screens, it is most difficult to get a reasonable picture, so many watch SDR/WCG. On a bright flat panel, properly calibrated, the differences are also not subtle.

(2) You said: "My understanding is if you have both HDR and SDR displays in your system then the K system will give you options to download either. And I think the idea is you would down load both." You CAN download both but why would you? If you have a 4K display, then why would you want to download the non-4K version?

(3) You also said: "I wonder how good the conversion is." It is good enough that allows me to watch 4K movies in my theater.

Last edited:
I think we are just looking at it from different perspectives. You are saying the disc based format K is using today is the highest form, most reference quality. I agree. I'm just saying, "for now".

BUT- a few thoughts:

a. That statement is true for now. MOST don't care- and thats where the big money resides. This will push the streaming services into other territories. As we are seeing in every market, there is the high end luxury market and there is the low end budget market- with little in the middle. This ends with services like Amazon offering UHD and master audio or whatever you want to offer it. And it will happen. Its a matter of time. Tidal is now offering MQA. I haven't gotten into streaming audio, simply because Im happy with what I have, but other friends tell me there are high res options out there that are really amazing. Premium services are in their infancy. I think they will grow.

b. You seem to think theres some kind of physical barrier preventing these services. Its simply a question of money. There is not much stopping these services from delivering the bits. Its just a question of compression, bitrate, and the pipes. Both are improving all the time. I remember several years ago it was almost unfathomable to stream HD video. Today its no problem. You can relatively watch a 4K video on YouTube. Netflix and Amazon offer some UHD and some HDR. Is it the same quality as off a UHD disc or our K system? Not yet. But it will come. I know you are hung up on the full audio, if the market clamors for it, they will offer it. The problem we face is the market might not clamor for it, but there might not be enough of us to keep Kaleidescape afloat. However, this is not a feasibility problem, its simply a problem of market demand.

c. I believe the UHD disks can go up to 120mbps while K is limited to 100- so someone could argue we are not getting the full playback on the Encore system. Just something too consider when Amazon or Netflix does 120mbps playback.

Some thoughts on HDR- Ive spent a bit of time looking at it and I find most "HDR" displays really can't display HDR properly. Its a problem. The only displays I know of that can really show HDR well are OLED. And then, in normally lit rooms, many people complain the picture looks a bit dull. The industry is suffering from an alphabet soup problem. I mean you have 4K, which is technically different from UHD, but most use interchangeably, and then you have HDR, SDR, WCG, etc. A problem. Most people just want to sit down and enjoy the latest and greatest and "4K" rolls off the tongue better than the rest of this nonsense.

You said: "You CAN download both but why would you? If you have a 4K display, then why would you want to download the non-4K version?" So, unfortunately you misunderstood my statement. I said "My understanding is if you have both HDR and SDR displays in your system then the K system will give you options to download either. And I think the idea is you would down load both. Which, if I am correct, is really crazy that the Strato cannot do what the Oppo can re: converting HDR-SDR. I wonder how good the conversion is. If I am right then you are downloading perhaps 3 versions of the same movie: 1- HD for Premiere system; 2 SDR UHD; 3- HDR UHD... that's crazy! (I hope to be wrong!)"

Please note I said HDR and SDR, both flavors of UHD. The problem is the Encore hardware does not convert HDR to SDR. Im not sure why it can't, when Oppo can do this for so much less cost. But the point remains, if you were to download only the HDR version of content and then tried to play it back on a non HDR capable device, it would not work. Firstly the EDID wouldn't allow it, and secondly, the dynamic range of the image would be far too wide for the display. Hence, and I could be wrong, but as I understand it, the Encore system will download both versions. Unless I am wrong or missing some information, this just seems silly to me.

I think you took my response as meaning you would download both a UHD copy (of which there are sometimes 2 varieties- HDR/ SDR) and a HD copy. This would not be necessary for the Encore hardware since it can downscale UHD to HD. And I think you can buy the same HD content for the Encore system. So this would be fine if you are starting from scratch. However, for those with Premiere systems it could still be beneficial to do just this, and the K store will do it for you- you just tell it you want both the UHD and HD versions.

There are two reasons I can think of for the above:
a. You are running both systems side by side and the only way to display all the content currently would be to have HD duplicates on the Premiere system. The user has to remember what resides on which system. If you have people in the house who simply just want to watch a movie and pick from all the movies in the system, then you need to have a unified list of content and (until it changes) that would be on the Premiere system. I think this is a growing problem with Kaleidescape's Encore line for those who own Premiere systems. Its one thing to remember a few UHD movies as curiosities on another system, but as you build the UHD collection, you might forget. I hope Kaleidescape is working on this.

b. Unlikely, but you have a distributed video system where some displays which cannot play UHD/4K content, they require 1080P and for whatever reason you don't have the ability to downscale from 4K to 1080P. I think in this instance you'd find the distributed video system can do the downscaling for you but its still something that comes to mind as a possibility.

So, sorry for the confusion. You are right that as of right now Kaleidescape is the way to go if the small differences matter to you. That's why I'm still a Kaleidescape user and owner. But I can see my kids and wife don't use the system nearly as much as they used to. They watch things on their phones.

I'm simply pointing out things K should do to improve the experience, which I think are very important for Kaleidescape to stay relevant in the high end, especially since I see the future holds powerful storm clouds.

Last edited:
I think we are just looking at it from different perspectives. You are saying the disc based format K is using today is the highest form, most reference quality. I agree. I'm just saying, "for now".

BUT- a few thoughts:

a. That statement is true for now. MOST don't care- and thats where the big money resides. This will push the streaming services into other territories. As we are seeing in every market, there is the high end luxury market and there is the low end budget market- with little in the middle. This ends with services like Amazon offering UHD and master audio or whatever you want to offer it. And it will happen. Its a matter of time. Tidal is now offering MQA. I haven't gotten into streaming audio, simply because Im happy with what I have, but other friends tell me there are high res options out there that are really amazing. Premium services are in their infancy. I think they will grow.

b. You seem to think theres some kind of physical barrier preventing these services. Its simply a question of money. There is not much stopping these services from delivering the bits. Its just a question of compression, bitrate, and the pipes. Both are improving all the time. I remember several years ago it was almost unfathomable to stream HD video. Today its no problem. You can relatively watch a 4K video on YouTube. Netflix and Amazon offer some UHD and some HDR. Is it the same quality as off a UHD disc or our K system? Not yet. But it will come. I know you are hung up on the full audio, if the market clamors for it, they will offer it. The problem we face is the market might not clamor for it, but there might not be enough of us to keep Kaleidescape afloat. However, this is not a feasibility problem, its simply a problem of market demand.

c. I believe the UHD disks can go up to 120mbps while K is limited to 100- so someone could argue we are not getting the full playback on the Encore system. Just something too consider when Amazon or Netflix does 120mbps playback.

Some thoughts on HDR- Ive spent a bit of time looking at it and I find most "HDR" displays really can't display HDR properly. Its a problem. The only displays I know of that can really show HDR well are OLED. And then, in normally lit rooms, many people complain the picture looks a bit dull. The industry is suffering from an alphabet soup problem. I mean you have 4K, which is technically different from UHD, but most use interchangeably, and then you have HDR, SDR, WCG, etc. A problem. Most people just want to sit down and enjoy the latest and greatest and "4K" rolls off the tongue better than the rest of this nonsense.

You said: "You CAN download both but why would you? If you have a 4K display, then why would you want to download the non-4K version?" So, unfortunately you misunderstood my statement. I said "My understanding is if you have both HDR and SDR displays in your system then the K system will give you options to download either. And I think the idea is you would down load both. Which, if I am correct, is really crazy that the Strato cannot do what the Oppo can re: converting HDR-SDR. I wonder how good the conversion is. If I am right then you are downloading perhaps 3 versions of the same movie: 1- HD for Premiere system; 2 SDR UHD; 3- HDR UHD... that's crazy! (I hope to be wrong!)"

Please note I said HDR and SDR, both flavors of UHD. The problem is the Encore hardware does not convert HDR to SDR. Im not sure why it can't, when Oppo can do this for so much less cost. But the point remains, if you were to download only the HDR version of content and then tried to play it back on a non HDR capable device, it would not work. Firstly the EDID wouldn't allow it, and secondly, the dynamic range of the image would be far too wide for the display. Hence, and I could be wrong, but as I understand it, the Encore system will download both versions. Unless I am wrong or missing some information, this just seems silly to me.

I think you took my response as meaning you would download both a UHD copy (of which there are sometimes 2 varieties- HDR/ SDR) and a HD copy. This would not be necessary for the Encore hardware since it can downscale UHD to HD. And I think you can buy the same HD content for the Encore system. So this would be fine if you are starting from scratch. However, for those with Premiere systems it could still be beneficial to do just this, and the K store will do it for you- you just tell it you want both the UHD and HD versions.

There are two reasons I can think of for the above:
a. You are running both systems side by side and the only way to display all the content currently would be to have HD duplicates on the Premiere system. The user has to remember what resides on which system. If you have people in the house who simply just want to watch a movie and pick from all the movies in the system, then you need to have a unified list of content and (until it changes) that would be on the Premiere system. I think this is a growing problem with Kaleidescape's Encore line for those who own Premiere systems. Its one thing to remember a few UHD movies as curiosities on another system, but as you build the UHD collection, you might forget. I hope Kaleidescape is working on this.

b. Unlikely, but you have a distributed video system where some displays which cannot play UHD/4K content, they require 1080P and for whatever reason you don't have the ability to downscale from 4K to 1080P. I think in this instance you'd find the distributed video system can do the downscaling for you but its still something that comes to mind as a possibility.

So, sorry for the confusion. You are right that as of right now Kaleidescape is the way to go if the small differences matter to you. That's why I'm still a Kaleidescape user and owner. But I can see my kids and wife don't use the system nearly as much as they used to. They watch things on their phones.

I'm simply pointing out things K should do to improve the experience, which I think are very important for Kaleidescape to stay relevant in the high end, especially since I see the future holds powerful storm clouds.

I'm not sure we are in disagreement. As Internet speeds increase, the possibility of streaming high bit rate audio and video increases. And while the software that resides on the K platforms is impressive and does really make the product and provide "the experience", a company like Amazon which is a bazillion times bigger than K could easily create such a platform and experience (rather quickly if they put the resources on it) --- if they thought the return was worth the investment.

I think K is fine --------- for the moment. But I sure hope the senior management team is looking way beyond what they are doing today or they could cease to exist in 5 years (or sooner). They rather quickly must solve some of the product integration issues that have been discussed as well as making the Strato a much more functional device (DV700 access to BR's as well as a vehicle to play movies that K does not support). Without these being solved very quickly, my bet is they won't last 3 years. While I most certainly understand why they cut staff by 50%, if they don't get some of these issues addressed, that move will turn out to be nothing but delaying the inevitable. While they appear to be doing better at getting some of the 4K content available, I am not aware of any of the product issues that have been address. And FWIW, and in my opinion, the release of the "mini Strato" appeared to be solving a problem that i did not know existed. I would have much preferred them to address some of the better known product issues.

We shall see. I won't post any more on this subject as I want to give K a bit more time to see what new capabilities they can bring to market.

Maybe someone like Amazon or Hulu or ??? will buy K and we can all then have the best of all worlds !!!!!

I completely agree. I have been a Kaleidescape customer for over 10 years. So I believe in the product. But I sure hope they have a good way forward.

Suicide Squad is now available in HDR and Atmos. I noticed however that despite owning the BR quality version(bought from the strore) there is no offer to upgrade for $15.99, I have to pay the full $36.99 price. Is that a studio thing again? I have upgraded all my owned WB movies when they were made available in HDR for $15.99 why is this one different?

Back