• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

HDR Movie Tag or HDR Picture Correction for Projectors

sbutter

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
When displaying HDR material on a projector, we are having to manually change the projector's picture memory for HDR movies. Similar to the Aspect Ratio tags, the Control Protocol needs the addition of HDR tag.

Another option would be to have picture controls in the Strato to make adjustments for a brighter HDR picture. Firmware updates to Sony and Panasonic UHD Blu-ray players have added HDR brightness setting specifically for projectors.

Good news! This is coming in the next kOS update on Encore systems. There's a new GET_VIDEO_COLOR command that includes HDR/SDR, color space, bit depth and chroma sampling information.

The protocol documentation will be updated accordingly.

The most benefit would be an HDR Brightness adjustment like the Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-ray Player. This allows the user to adjust HDR brightness and make the change from HDR to SDR seamless. The benefit of this feature for a device that mixes SDR and HDR content is a big plus. With Netflix, the transition from SDR TV show to HDR TV show is seamless on the projector with an HDR Brightness setting of +5 on the Panasonic.

If you could add the HDR brightness adjustment to Component Advanced Setting of the Strato, it would be great and really simplify the use of the Strato with a Projector and mixed SDR/HDR content.

The Get_Video_Color tag would be nice to have, but it will create a delay with having to gather the information and then execute the commands via automation system.

HDR Brightness Feature could be used by everyone, and not have to rely on automation system or end user making picture adjustments.

One of the two things keeping me from adding a Strato is that my projector (JVC RS500 ) and low gain screen don't like HDR so I watch in SDR/WCG - which settings in my Oppo allow me to do. Will the features noted above eventually allow K to provide equivalent settings as the Oppo (and Panasonic and ...) have?

This is great news. I’ll use this so that my projector will set the right video preset. Since most/current UHD/4K Projectors are not the best at displaying HDR as compared to a HDR TV.

For a while I was using just UHD versions, then a calibrator provided a custom HDR tone map that should only be used when the HDR tag is present. HDR to SDR wasn’t what I wanted to do and I hope that the tag will automate my preset selection (as I am the only aware of this in the house :) ).

The Lumagen processor does a great job of adjusting the HDR image to fit an SDR space. Its quite convincing!

Looks like this was added to new kOS.

GET_VIDEO_COLOR
00 unknown
01 SDR
02 HDR
03 SMTPE ST 2084

color_depth
00 default
01 RGB
02 BT.601
03 BT.709
04 BT.2020

Interesting that Kscape Store HDR movies report Video_Color as SMTPE ST 2084 with BT.2020.

I thought it would be HDR or SDR. What is SMTPE ST 2084?

Before anybody gets too excited at the mention of Dolby Vision, let me just clarify that SMPTE 2084 is the standard also commonly known as "HDR 10". To be honest, I'm not sure why we have both "HDR" and "SMPTE 2084" values on that output, but I suspect that the "HDR" one is seldom if ever actually used. It might be a leftover from early work on our HDR support, but I will inquire.

When the Kaleidescape system reports to a control system what the movie’s meta data is, then the control system will “know” to set scaler/display to the “right” calibrated preset.

Having three display meta data tags will allow for the ultimate customization.

Too cool!

I've pinged Alan Chow to see if he can/will update the Control4 driver to take advantage of this. It was the missing link in my theater becoming fully automated. Go K!

I posted over in the enhancement request area, but they next need to add GET_AUDIO so control systems can automatically switch audio feeds depending on source signal (e.g. Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, etc.). Not all audio systems can do this (just like not all projectors switch profiles when receiving HDR). Would really be useful! SJ

Can you cite an example of an audio system that is not able to detect the audio format being sent over HDMI? I'm not aware of any.

All audio systems can detect an audio signal/format, but you can still decide what post processing option you want to apply. Example, if my system receives a DD 5.1 signal, I have several options to choose. DD 5.1, DD 7.1, Dolby Upmixer to 7.2.4.... If I also receive a Dolby Atmos signal, I can turn off post processing all together. Same with DTS. If I received a DTS Signal, I can use 5.1, 7.1 or DTS Neural X. Maybe unique to my setup which is a Mcintosh MX-160. But my control system could change post processing automatically to my defaults if it received this information from my Strato. Thanks. SJ

All audio systems can detect an audio signal/format, but you can still decide what post processing option you want to apply. Example, if my system receives a DD 5.1 signal, I have several options to choose. DD 5.1, DD 7.1, Dolby Upmixer to 7.2.4.... If I also receive a Dolby Atmos signal, I can turn off post processing all together. Same with DTS. If I received a DTS Signal, I can use 5.1, 7.1 or DTS Neural X. Maybe unique to my setup which is a Mcintosh MX-160. But my control system could change post processing automatically to my defaults if it received this information from my Strato. Thanks. SJ

I have a MX-160 and I change my post processing based on audio just like you describe. I do currently capture the “Audio Type In” in my control system and have thought about having the control system change the post processing based on this.

I haven’t tried to do this yet but it seems like it should be doable depending on your control system.

John

Yeah, I could probably do it with the MX160 info, but would be super easy if the Strato would output the event like they do with video. My control system changes several configurations if the movie is HDR vs SDR and I could use the same code/logic for audio.... SJ

Yes, I could see this being helpful.

John

I did implement the configuration to audio based on MX160 audio type. It works well, but the main downside is that whenever you pause/skip in a movie, the MX160 audio type changes to no information and then when the movie starts back up, the system thinks it has been updated and sends the appropriate audio command again. Just results in a quick audio dropout/reset. Not an issue when just watching a movie. May need to write some more code to get it to stop that behavior if possible. Still think it would be great if this was done by the Strato on the start of a movie like they do with HDR, etc. SJ

Back