• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Guidance on 2 failed drives in an old 3U

nsxboy

Hey guys,

I most recently acquired a dead 3U that I luckily was able to revive using this forum and recommendations from this post: Purchase a power supply for Kserver-5000

I ended up purchasing a sparkle power upgraded replacement 700W unit and got the server power and booting. There's some learning here and happy to share with anyone who is interested.

What I found out from the folks at Kaleidescape on my 3U:
Unit has not been active for over 5 years
Unit is grandfathered
since 5 years ago, Unit has had 2 failed drives out of 6. (2 1TB drives have failed) the others are 2 2tb drives, and 2 1tb drives that are healthy).
The 2 failed drives have forced the system into "quarantined state" according to Kaleidescape support, which means that it'll connect via DHCP and get itself onto the network, but browser access is unavailable and locked out.

I'm hoping to get guidance from the group here on what are my options on reviving the server.

Given that I need to wipe the full system and not need to salvage any content anyway, is it possible to reformat the 3u with just 4 drives?

Or

Do I need to purchase 2 replacement drives and what do I need to do in order to restore the drive back to functional state?

Any guidance here on the forum would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike

I believe you just replace the drives (must buy them from Kaleidescape dealer). Don’t need any kind of formatting as they come ready from Kaeidescape. You cannot do it yourself.

Another option is to just discard the remaining 4 drives you have, and drop in a "working set" of drives from another 1U or 3U.

If you get a working set from a 1U, it uses a single parity drive without a hot-swap, so your 3U will still be "yellow" because it's still short 1 drive. A working set from another 3U should just drop in and work.

In all honesty, replacing the 2 failed drives is probably the best route if for no other reason than you would have 2 new drives with a warranty.

Personally, I’d be concerned with the limited life remaining in the existing drives that are still working. It would be a bummer to put in a couple new drives to only suffer more failures before too long. Additionally, the new drives you purchase will be much larger (I believe they are 10TB or larger) and you won’t be able to take advantage of the increased capacity until the 3rd new drive is added (due to how the array works).

You may want to consider getting a brand new file system of all new hard drives from K. The new drives are big enough that you could even start with a 3 disk file system and have more capacity than what you’re looking with those old drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6TB is the standard drive size for the 3U these days. With 2x 2TB, and 2x 1TB, andy is correct, you would have the exact same 6TB usable if you bought 3 new drives and just discarded all the current drives in your system.

If you go this route, you would also have to hunt down 3 more "blanks" as you're dropping down from 6 drives installed to 3 drives installed.

Thanks guys. After seeing everyone's feedback here, I am thinking that I'll likely end up ordering a new set of 3 drives at the 6tb and starting from scratch to ensure longetivity and sustainability.

Thanks all!

Mike

Back