• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Feasability study for a multiroom, multi-location K system.

When 2 servers are in a group and you import content, does the entirety of that content go only on one or the other server, or will the system divide it amongst both servers wherever it best fits to balance the available capacity? Once servers are ungrouped, can they operate completely independently of each other without issue? I'm just trying to understand the complexities of grouping/ungrouping servers and replication. I bought a 2nd 1U server so I could do my own replications once the need to upgrade capacity arose.

Expanding on Mike's comment, content being imported will import to only one server, it is not divided between two Servers, which is why they can operate independently when ungrouped. (Different way of saying what Mike already stated)

Jim

I too am a newbie to this forum, but a K user for 6 years. I recently upgraded my two 5U servers (1 traded in for a 3U; 1 system for sale on this forum in the marketplace) and in the process, my dealer inadvertently deleted about 450 of my 630 movies. I just completed painstakingly reloading my movies one by one (dealer's bulkloader worked for 40 movies then went down for the count) over several weekend trips to my vacation home where my K system resides.

Is there a way I could have avoided the one-by-one reload with an authorized replication from K? In other words, is there a central storage that has all of my content available for reload in the event this ever happens again?

Last edited by a moderator:
dtmps, sorry to hear about that issue (frankly that's the first time I've heard of an actual loss during replication). It would be interesting to know how the loss occurred, to perhaps help prevent this happening to someone else.

To my knowledge, K does not have a replication that does what you are seeking. They do have a service (or did at one time) that would allow for your content to be replicated by K, at their facility, but you still needed to get the KDISKs (with preloaded content) to them.

I also sent a PM.

Jim

Replication issue

Thanks, Jim.

What happened is that my dealer sent the drives with my content still on them back to K without having replicating them on my new system. The CEO at my dealer was gracious and great (but at least one of his installers tried to make it sound as if it was K's mistake, rather than just 'fessing up and saying they "forgot to" replicate my content before sending the drives to K). The failure of my dealer's bulk loader after only 40 movies reloading was what made the reload process (hundreds of DVDs) so tedious and maddening.

I guess I was hopeful that since K has their DVD loan process for metadata they might have actual movie data as well for those who can prove ownership.

Thanks for your answer, and the PM!

Perhaps Jim has answered this via PM, but I'm quite sure when you send a DVD to Kaleidescape for processing they don't write a copy of it to their servers, they just store the bookmarking information. So to answer the question, no, they wouldn't be able to write a copy of the movies you lost in the manner suggested.

Back