• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Feasability study for a multiroom, multi-location K system.

Mocar

I am a nembie to this forum and would like to ask following questions:
Basic system: a MDV, 1U server and M300.
I am looking at a system that offers the possibility to play my CD's, DVD's and BD's in multiple rooms but also in multiple locations, ie. when I go to my holiday house I pick up my MDV (or IDV in the future) and the disk cartridges and use them with 1U server and M300 player installed overthere.

Question 1: is that possible? Are the disk cartridges interchangeable?
Question 2: I want to transmit my audio via wireless system, eg. Sonos system. Is Sonos (or other system) compatible with a M3300/500 or Music Player?

Thanks and kind regards,

I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but question why you would want to do it that way.

First, "yes," you could move one full set of KDISKs from one Server to another Server, provided the receiving Server is empty. You would have to move ALL the disks into the additional Server, and that Server cannot have any other disks present in the Server. That said, IMO, you run a significant risk of damage to disks and data loss by moving disks back-and-forth between Servers. Ideally, you would just buy a second Server with it's own storage disks and replicate the content between the Servers (or, since it sounds like you plan to move the MDV and M300, just move the 1U as well).

You can move the MDV/IDV and M300 between Servers.

A question I have is storage capability. You mention BR, but you are considering a 1U. I assume you do know that you will only have 6TB of storage capacity. Given you want to use the Server for DVD and Music as well, how much space will be dedicated to BR content? You mention the MDV/IDV, either of which will hold many, many more BR discs than your system will likely be capable of storing, especially considering the MDV/IDV should only be used for BR disc storage (DVD/CD store directly on the Server and do not need to be "confirmed" in your system for playback).

You cannot "stream" content between two different locations (without introducing some 3d party device). I think someone posted the ability to receive access to his K collection by using a "slingbox," or some such device, but even if possible, I suspect quality might be an issue).

Regarding music playback, it is possible to integrate a Sonos system, but you cannot get two way access to music content on your K Server by using the Sonos directly. If Sonos (I have not worked with one) has the ability to accept an audio "In" then you could link it with a KPLAYER (or Music Player) and distribute whatever music you select on the K system, but this is "one way" (K to Sonos). If you want complete access to your Music collection stored on the K Server, controlled by Sonos, I would think you would have to integrate a PC and K Conductor into your system to allow the Sonos access to the content.

Perhaps another Owner has already done this and will add a comment.:)

Jim

One might also point out that with the equipment list above (MDV, 1U Server & M300), there would be no way to import DVD and CD content to the system. So the system would be confined to Blu-ray only.

Thanks Jim and Croptop for yr. quick replies!
The proposed system above was just for argument sake. For sure, I would use a 3U server and a M500 where necessary. I understand the IDV will be able to rip all CD,DVD and BD and would be the ideal solution.
Re. transportability: are the disk cartridges that fragile that they risk damage when transported well protected in a suit case?
Replicating the content on a second server is too time consuming. Transporting the 1/3U to different locations looks interesting but could be too bulky for eg. travelling by plane.

Audio: Any other ideas for transmitting audio wirelessly in a multiroom configuration where there is no ethernet nor wired connection possible? The SONOS or Logitech Squeezebox Touch are such nice components but how to connect them to the K system?

One might also point out that with the equipment list above (MDV, 1U Server & M300), there would be no way to import DVD and CD content to the system. So the system would be confined to Blu-ray only.

Good point! Missed that in the discussion (was thinking IDV)!:eek:

Jim

Thanks Jim and Croptop for yr. quick replies!
The proposed system above was just for argument sake. For sure, I would use a 3U server and a M500 where necessary. I understand the IDV will be able to rip all CD,DVD and BD and would be the ideal solution.
Re. transportability: are the disk cartridges that fragile that they risk damage when transported well protected in a suit case?
Replicating the content on a second server is too time consuming. Transporting the 1/3U to different locations looks interesting but could be too bulky for eg. travelling by plane.

Audio: Any other ideas for transmitting audio wirelessly in a multiroom configuration where there is no ethernet nor wired connection possible? The SONOS or Logitech Squeezebox Touch are such nice components but how to connect them to the K system?

Stating the obvious, the KDISK drives are enterprise level drives, but are stilll disc drives and subject to damage anytime they are moved. That said, I'm sure they could be packed in a way that reduces that risk. There is also the "in and out of the Servers" factor. Not sure what risk that adds, but it is logically more than if the drives remain untouched in the Server.

Actually, replicating the content using K's replication feature is simple to use and reasonable in the time it takes to replicate. IIRC, I replicated 1,200+ movies and 1,200+ CD's in less than 6 days. The process is VERY easy, just click a few options and the system takes care of the replication.

Jim

The process is VERY easy, just click a few options and the system takes care of the replication.

Easy IF you have the dealer access key to make it happen. Impossible if you're an end user and want to do it all by yourself :(

Easy IF you have the dealer access key to make it happen. Impossible if you're an end user and want to do it all by yourself :(

Huh?

Not sure what you are referring to regarding replication. All the dealer has to do is "authorize" the replication through K and the end user can certainly replicate on their own (all of my client's did their own, without any issues).

Jim

Well that's interesting to know. I thought the dealer had to be physically present to enter some super secret code prior to replication taking place. What you write makes more sense on thinking about it.

Nope. There is no password needed and the process is fairly simple too. My dealer walked me through it in 3-5 minutes and we are thousands of miles apart. It took a couple of days to transfer everything but well worth it. Also, much better than encoding all my movies over again :)

Does it involve opening up a port on your router and the dealer accessing your Kaleidescape system to start the replicate process remotely? Or, does the dealer arrange it through Kaleidescape and they access your system in the way that only they can?

I just performed a replication for a client last week. He had maxed his 1U, 1TB drives and wanted to upgrade to new 2TB drives, effectively doubling his storage. Because he only had a single server, I retrieved his server -- filled with original drives -- and brought back to my store. Removed the drives from MY server, put in his drives, filled HIS server with the new 2TB drives and then enabled replication. Only the dealer can enable replication, but it is a SIMPLE process. (Done on the dealer extranet site.) One replication on both systems was enabled, you select the source system and the target system and away she goes! It takes a little less than 1 day per TB on a Gigabit network. If you owned two servers, I can't imagine that your dealer wouldn't be willing to remotely enable this for you, as it took less than like 5 minutes.

What would be awesome is to do this remotely, like if you wanted to sync two K'scape systems in different homes. Though that initial sync up over the Internet would be a looooooong one.
Best,
John

Does it involve opening up a port on your router and the dealer accessing your Kaleidescape system to start the replicate process remotely? Or, does the dealer arrange it through Kaleidescape and they access your system in the way that only they can?

No port opening or anything. Again, the thought is that the two systems are sitting ON the same network. K'scape sees all (knows all....) and when the systems are both on the network and reporting in they can be enabled. Once they have been enabled for replication, you designate a source and a destination and then just click a "start replication" button. My biggest fear is that I would accidentally wipe all his content out, but they said that isn't possible.
js

I just performed a replication for a client last week. He had maxed his 1U, 1TB drives and wanted to upgrade to new 2TB drives, effectively doubling his storage....

So what happened to the old 1TB discs? Does the owner get them back with the content still on them, get them back but without content, or trade them in on the 2TB discs?

...Again, the thought is that the two systems are sitting ON the same network. K'scape sees all (knows all....) and when the systems are both on the network and reporting in they can be enabled...

But what about if you have two 1U servers on the same network, and they have been added to the same group. I guess you can't then take the discs out of one server, put new higher capacity discs in it, and then replicate content from the other server?

So what happened to the old 1TB discs? Does the owner get them back with the content still on them, get them back but without content, or trade them in on the 2TB discs?

That would be up to the individual dealer, whether to take in on trade or return, or keep and return to K'scape for reinitialization. All of the content remains on the disks, it isn't lost or wiped during the replication process.

But what about if you have two 1U servers on the same network, and they have been added to the same group. I guess you can't then take the discs out of one server, put new higher capacity discs in it, and then replicate content from the other server?

To do the replication, the servers can't be in the same group. So, you would ungroup them, do the replication and then REgroup them. Again, these are click boxes that take like seconds to do. But once they are ungrouped and replication is enabled, that is exactly what you'd do; remove the discs from one server and replace with higher capacity drives and then replicate the content onto the new drives. In trying to explain the process, it makes it sound more complicated. It is stunningly simple. Just time consuming.

When 2 servers are in a group and you import content, does the entirety of that content go only on one or the other server, or will the system divide it amongst both servers wherever it best fits to balance the available capacity? Once servers are ungrouped, can they operate completely independently of each other without issue? I'm just trying to understand the complexities of grouping/ungrouping servers and replication. I bought a 2nd 1U server so I could do my own replications once the need to upgrade capacity arose.

When grouped, you do not get to choose which server content it loaded onto. If you group servers, their content is shared to all players that are part of the group.

When ungrouped, each player will have access to only the content on the servers in its group.

Back