• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Entering Pin Code for Parental Control

bdo21

I have always used the parental controls for Kaleidescape so the children could enter their pin codes to access different age appropriate movies. I now have put the Kaleidescape system in a new house with Control4 and one of the players is hidden so it doesn’t work with an IR remote control.

I have been told Control4 cannot enter the pin code to show more movies (either using the C4 remote or via programming). I have also tried the kaleidescape iPad app but I cannot see in the remote section anywhere to enter a number for a pin code.

Is there any way to enter a pin code or am I stuck?

Thank you

I have been told Control4 cannot enter the pin code to show more movies (either using the C4 remote or via programming). I have also tried the kaleidescape iPad app but I cannot see in the remote section anywhere to enter a number for a pin code.

Is there any way to enter a pin code or am I stuck?

I can't answer your Control4 question but I'd be shocked if Control4 can't provide a number pad input when kOS is displaying the Passcode dialog.

As for the Second Screen app (I'm assuming that's what you are referring to when you mention the "iPad App"), on the Remote Control tab, there's a round button labeled "ABC123" to the right of the volume buttons. Tapping that button will display the iOS keyboard. Enter your PIN via the keyboard then tap the ABC123 button to dismiss the keyboard.

If, on the other hand, you're referring to the Kaleidescape Mobile App (the one with store access), the remote will automatically display a number pad whenever kOS displays a Passcode dialog.

On Control4, the numbers work like a phone pad for selecting letters normally, but will work as numbers when the PIN dialog is showing.
  • On a stick remote, just use the number pad
  • If using a touchpad (with regular drivers) then the pad is either on the left side (per the images in K's Control4 manual,) or on the 10-key tab if it looks like the generic navigation pad I've always seen. Presumably the Alan Chow driver has something as well (and it probably looks a lot nicer... it would have to.)
  • John has already mentioned where to find it on the K apps.
They will need to hit menu, and then scroll over to the Parental Controls tab to authenticate their higher level. This will bring-up the PIN dialog, since they cannot just use the number pad until the system is expecting only numbers.

Thank you. I think that clarifies it - I never used the parental controls menu option before - everyone just entered typed their pin on the Kaleidescape remote and it worked. I’ll try going to the parental controls option but it sounds like that will work.

Thank you!

I'm not sure if I have an old version of the Control4 driver, but on my Control4 system anyway, I can hit the asterisk key anywhere in the normal onscreen display and it brings up the passcode dialog. Sometimes it gets a stray digit entered in the passcode dialog when doing this, but a left arrow clears that.

(I should clarify that what I'm describing above is for Premiere players. On Alto/Strato players, there's no direct passcode entry for parental controls because the entire parental control model is different.)

Back