• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Encore Line FAQ from K

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
FAQs on the Encore and Premiere Line Products
Why did Kaleidescape introduce the Encore line instead of just a 4K player for Premiere systems?​
It simply isn’t practical to store 4K content on a Premiere system. The movie studios have very stringent
security requirements for their pristine 4K movies. Kaleidescape’s storage systems in its 1U Server, 3U
Server, and Cinema One products cannot satisfy those storage-security requirements. Other 4K security
requirements affect every component in the system, and (for a myriad of reasons) none of the Premiere
components can satisfy these requirements. For these reasons, it was necessary to develop a new set of
components in order to comply with the studios’ security requirements.
Does this mean that the Premiere line is obsolete? Will it be going away soon?​
No. We expect to continue selling and supporting Premiere line products for years to come. A customer
with a large collection of Blu-ray discs can find no better solution than Kaleidescape’s Premiere system.
Many of our systems are installed in remote locations that have very slow Internet access. Such
installations cannot rely on the Internet for content delivery or for restoring data when a hard drive fails.
The Premiere system’s RAID protection will continue to be important until everyone has fast Internet.
Also, most of the countries we sell in do not have access to the Kaleidescape Movie Store, so those
customers must rely on discs as their only source of content, and the Premiere system is their only
option.
Is Kaleidescape abandoning its installed-base customers?​
Not at all! For years we have negotiated very hard with the DVD CCA and with the studios to protect our
existing customers’ investments, and to insure that our Premiere customers can benefit from the
Kaleidescape Movie Store. We are continuing to support and improve the Premiere line. We value each
and every Kaleidescape customer, and everyone in our “audience” who uses a Kaleidescape system.
What option does a Premiere system owner have to buy and play 4K Ultra HD movies?​
There are two options:
1. Buy a Strato player and use it as a second source in your primary viewing zone.
2. Migrate to an Encore system.
We understand that using two different Kaleidescape sources is inelegant. One approach is to dedicate
the Strato to your 4K movies, and keep all of your Blu-ray and DVD movies on your Premiere system.
This minimizes the fragmentation of your library. Note that at this time, the 6 TB drive in a Strato is large
enough to store nearly every 4K movie that is available from Hollywood studios. Also, when you
purchase a 4K title on the Movie Store, you can download the HD version of the movie to your Premiere
system at no additional charge so those movies are available in your other zones.
October 23, 2015
Migration is more difficult for most of our customers, depending on the installation and the size of their
movie collection. During this early period of the industry’s transition from disc-based movie distribution
to electronic distribution, we expect most of our Premiere customers will prefer to use a Strato as a
second source, rather than migrate everything to Encore. As more 4K Ultra HD movies with HDR become
available and TVs for such content become the norm, and Internet connections become faster, and the
Encore products gain more features, it will become increasingly attractive to migrate from a Premiere
system to Encore.
Will Migration to Encore become easier in the future?​
Yes. It will be more attractive as well as easier to migrate as the Encore line becomes more mature. We
are planning to develop tools to facilitate the migration to Encore. And, we plan to introduce upgrade
programs for our customers with Premiere systems.
Why doesn’t Strato include an optical drive?​
At this time there is no standard disc format for 4K content. We are considering introducing a version of
Strato that includes a Blu-ray disc drive for local playback of discs and for disc-to-digital upgrades. In the
meantime, playback from disc requires a Disc Server, and disc-to-digital upgrades can be done with
either an Alto or a Disc Server.
Why does the Disc Server cost more than the DV700 Disc Vault when it is the same hardware?​
The MSRP has increased for the DV700 as well. There was a delay in updating the pricing information.
Our manufacturing cost is simply too high to continue selling this product at the lower price.
Can my Cinema One be converted to an Alto remotely?​
Not at this time. We are discussing plans for upgrading the Cinema One to an Encore system.
Will 6 TB Disk Cartridges be available for 1U and 3U servers?​
Yes. That will happen this quarter.
Why doesn’t Strato support 3D?​
Unlike M-Class players, the Strato hardware is capable of supporting 3D video. We plan to support 3D in
a future kOS software release.

Does Strato do internal decoding of lossless audio?​
At present, Strato only does bit-stream pass-through of lossless audio. A future release of kOS will​
enable Strato to do internal decoding of lossless audio to PCM.

Very helpful! Great to see 6TB drives will be coming for the Premiere servers. Also, great to see that lossless decoding is coming to the Strato, even if it should have been there from the beginning for such a high-end product. I still don't totally understand why the Strato player cannot communicate with both Encore and Premiere servers. Being able to read from both should not interfere with security for 4K stored on the Encore server, should it?

Good to see the following:

"Will 6 TB Disk Cartridges be available for 1U and 3U servers?
Yes. That will happen this quarter.
Why doesn’t Strato support 3D?
Unlike M-Class players, the Strato hardware is capable of supporting 3D video. We plan to support 3D in
a future kOS software release.
Does Strato do internal decoding of lossless audio?
At present, Strato only does bit-stream pass-through of lossless audio. A future release of kOS will
enable Strato to do internal decoding of lossless audio to PCM."

We will be getting 3D, 6TB drives and internal decoding of lossless audio.

Thanks Jim - great update.

John

Scripting

Hello Jim

Does this mean scripting will come to Alto and Strato? I would love this feature.

Cheers

Raj

Hello Jim

Does this mean scripting will come to Alto and Strato? I would love this feature.

Cheers

Raj

Not sure, as all of these features are software driven, anything is possible, but I have not heard that discussed. Maybe Mr. Green has some input.

Jim

Thank you Kaleidescape and Jim.

Intersting on the internal decoding. But how does than help anyone with a Premiere system?

Perhaps a future update might - maybe- let us use this as player for the Premiere server and content.

OK- here's a thinker... If I buy a Stratos with a hard drive and keep it as a separate system, and buy a Disney movie on it, will it download to my premiere system as the second system without me having to adhere to that bs no-more-ripping-even-though-you-want-to-buy-Disney-titles-and-give-Disney-money-despite-not-having-every-Disney-title-in-the-store thing?

If there was a player that would see and play content from both server systems I think that would satisfy many premiere owners. Here in the UK I'm not expecting much from the store or 4K anytime soon but if I could start with a player now I could transition as/when the infrastructure allows.

Running 2 server systems wouldn't be too much trouble if a player could see both.

I didn't see anything in the faq about why this may or may not happen.

Yes! This is what "many" of us have been waiting for for quite some time now.:)

Wayne

I think I would rather M just join the club and have their products decode. Not 100% sure how a player will decode atmos and the more advanced codecs. If M doesn't do something soon, anyone with a HT of significance with have moved to Trinnov and/or JBL.

Certainly good news on the drives and commitment for support. My sense is that many of these fact items were not on this sheet initially. Thank you Kscapeowners.com!

OK- here's a thinker... If I buy a Stratos with a hard drive and keep it as a separate system, and buy a Disney movie on it, will it download to my premiere system as the second system without me having to adhere to that bs no-more-ripping-even-though-you-want-to-buy-Disney-titles-and-give-Disney-money-despite-not-having-every-Disney-title-in-the-store thing?

No. The store specifically says that the Disney op-in is "by system". You can have one system that you opt-in and another where you don't.

John

I think I would rather M just join the club and have their products decode. Not 100% sure how a player will decode atmos and the more advanced codecs. If M doesn't do something soon, anyone with a HT of significance with have moved to Trinnov and/or JBL.

Certainly good news on the drives and commitment for support. My sense is that many of these fact items were not on this sheet initially. Thank you Kscapeowners.com!

I've asked M (and others) to do something re: internal decoding in the past and I have gotten nowhere. They were all very polite discussions, but at least as of 2-3 years ago, there's basically no interest.

I think I've found something that might do the trick for those of us with Meridian systems but I will wait until I know for sure for more.

On the Disney thing, I'd like to hear from Kaleidescape, perhaps they have permission to allow those with the new system to have the movie also load to the Premiere like the others?

One thought I have on a way to resolve the whole two systems thing without having the new player direct access to the Premiere servers: maybe others have posted this already, and I can't believe Kaleidescape hasn't considered this but here goes: what if the new player had an HDMI switcher built in. It could have an input for the Premiere source and the new player would provide onscreen interface and the list of all content on the combined "system". The new player would handle the video switching. So the user would not really see anything more than one source and one UI. If they see the movie list and choose "Snow White" and thats 1080P, then the system just goes to the Premiere Player input and the code tells the Premiere Player to begin playing "Snow White". If say the system owner has a brand new 4K movie, and they play that, then it plays... While more complicated at the back end of things, the experience wouldn't be any different than we have now. Kind of like what happened when we had to go to the Vaults for Blu Rays.

Jerry, that is a brilliant idea. Unfortunately, that would have to be done on the next generation of players and would likely not happen soon.

Yeah, just some ramblings from the peanut gallery.

You know, the more I think about this, I think its also fair to point out likely 4K standards are a bit of a moving target and Kaleidescape has to deal with that as well. So perhaps some of these things that we react by saying: why'd they do that?! Maybe they didn't set out to do these things but were left with little choice.

On the Disney thing, I'd like to hear from Kaleidescape, perhaps they have permission to allow those with the new system to have the movie also load to the Premiere like the others?

As JohnJ correctly points out, Disney opt-in is on a per-system basis. Owning an Encore system will not allow you to download Disney movies to a Premiere line system without opting it in first.

John

Thanks for the update.

I actually opted in on Disney on my Premiere system. I did it because I simply wanted to have access to the Disney downloads and I don't think I really thought it completely through. Right now I have no problem with my decision, but I am concerned one day they will put out a movie that they might decide to not include in the download store... I guess we'll just jump off that bridge when it happens.

Back