• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Encore Line FAQ from K

Hi guys,

Regarding UltraViolet and 4K, I'm afraid the answer is that we don't have an answer for you on that at this point. By the time 4K content hits the Movie Store, we'll have those details, but it's still being sorted out.

Mike,
I know you are asked this question again and again but do you know when we can expect more studios to join K Escape?
Thanks..
Todo

Mike,
I know you are asked this question again and again but do you know when we can expect more studios to join K Escape?
Thanks..
Todo

Generally speaking, there's no pre-announcement of these agreements. The most recent announcements were about a month ago, and were related to the 4K Ultra HD content licensed from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, K2 Communications, The Orchard (Red Bull Media House) and Moving Art.

Generally speaking, there's no pre-announcement of these agreements. The most recent announcements were about a month ago, and were related to the 4K Ultra HD content licensed from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, K2 Communications, The Orchard (Red Bull Media House) and Moving Art.

1. Do you drink alcohol?
2. If so, would you be more likely to accidentally let those details slip when drunk?
3. If so, what's your shipping address and preferred method of intoxication?

:D

--Donnie

1. Do you drink alcohol?
2. If so, would you be more likely to accidentally let those details slip when drunk?
3. If so, what's your shipping address and preferred method of intoxication?

:D

--Donnie

That's the spirit, Donnie! ;)

You'd get farther with aviation gasoline, but sorry, I still can't comment. ;-)

Mike,

How will digital rights for 4K movies be handled as far as UltraViolet? If I purchase a 4K movie on Vudu, will I be able to watch it on a Kaleidescape system and vice versa?

Thanks,

Billy

Hi guys,

Regarding UltraViolet and 4K, I'm afraid the answer is that we don't have an answer for you on that at this point. By the time 4K content hits the Movie Store, we'll have those details, but it's still being sorted out.

Now that 4K movies are in the store, is there an update on this? And how does Vidity fit into the picture? Thanks!

Update on FAQ - Can my Cinema One be converted to an Alto remotely?

Hi all,

Was wondering if there was an update on this from the FAQs:

Can my Cinema One be converted to an Alto remotely?

Not at this time. We are discussing plans for upgrading the Cinema One to an Encore system.

Appreciate that the Premiere to Encore upgrade process has been published since then, but has anything been decided on this?

Without wishing to appear being lazy by posting a blatantly lazy post without thoroughly searching elsewhere here, my question is.
In markets where the Kaleidescape store is not available, and not likely ever to be practical if it becomes available (e.g. here in Australia where my cable connection to the internet can be 1Mbps or less), does it remain unlikely that I will ever be able to spin a UHD disc in the Kaleidescape ecosystem?

Hi B, that's probably an accurate assessment. My current understanding is that K does not plan to add disc based UHD importing to their components (I don't think reaching a contract with the studio's to allow that is possible at this time, from what I know). UHD will be K Store based downloads only, and at the speed you mentioned, not likely possible/reasonable.

Jim

Jim, any chance we see a Strato with an UltraHD drive, basically an UltraHD version of the Alto, at some point? At least that way discs could be cataloged and could play, even if importing won't happen. Also, for the countries where the store is viable, that would facilitate any digital offers that might be available.

Not planned AFAIK, currently because those controlling access to the 4K drives needed are not making them available. I also doubt we'd see a contract with the Studio's to allow direct from disc importing given all of the security surrounding 4K content. Can't ever say never, but if it happens for cataloging, it will not likely be anytime soon, but perhaps in a year or so things might change. (That's not a comment based on knowledge, just hoping like other owners.)

Jim

Yep, I am afraid that is going to be the case, too. Encore doesn't import anyway, but I was hoping for at least digital offers, using disc presence as a verifier. I suppose there's always UltraViolet, but as you know, not every studio allows those to cross over, so even though we might have a legit disc, and can get a copy on VUDU using UV, it won't keep us from having to buy it again on K, e.g. Disney, Fox, and maybe Paramount, if they ever come on board at all.

All this is very brain churning. UltraViolet, VUDU etc is all double-Dutch to me. I understand why I can't import content from disc into the Kaleidescape ecosystem. It's a stretch for me to understand why it is so problematic to catalog any UHD physical discs into the Kaleidescape UI (without importing the movie onto the server), and have the movie play directly from disc. Samsung make a 4K HDR Blu-ray player, and others also. Put the 4K drive in a Strato, have it put the coverart on the server, and let it spin the disc for movie playback. I don't mind waiting for the movie to start. Better to dilute the absolute Kaleidescape experience slightly and give us something 4K, rather than no 4K at all.
And another point. Strato/Encore is being marketed in Australia. I don't know why because we can't use it here because the K-store is not available here. Unless there are many "uncles" in the US who will let Australian owners VPN tunnel into their network and download content from the K-store. Even if so, it still is not going to work at 1-5 Mbps which is typical for many home owners here, like me, and I have cable!

Not saying there couldn't someday be a way to catalog 4K discs, but currently the option does not exist and it is NOT K that is controlling that capability, it requires access to the 4K drives, software, and studio support/agreement. Just fyi, these 4K Player manufacturer's (i.e. Samsung, Panasonic,etc.) were not releasing their 4K drives to third party manufacturers when these K products were in development (that may still be the case, not sure).

Certainly get your point about Encore in AUS and K Store........

Jim

UHD BDs are still blu-rays, so has there been a definitive statement that we won't be able to import & play as normal once hybrid-mode becomes an option? Premiere-side allows BD import, Encore-side allows 4k storage & playback, so it should be check-check-done.

What you are describing will not be a problem, but to be clear, with the upcoming integration we are actually still keeping the two systems (Premiere and Encore) separated. They will appear as "one" system for selecting content, but selecting a 4K movie, or any movie that was downloaded from the Store, will only playback on the Encore components.

The questions being asked above are wondering if we will ever be able to import a UHD movie directly from a UHD disc. This can only happen if the Studio's permitted it, and the Strato had a bully-in UHD drive.

Jim

I actually received Four separate contacts since posting above questioning what this upcoming "integration" accomplishes.

To be as clear as possible, the integration is essentially going to allow us to view our Two systems (assuming you own both a Premiere and an Encore system) in the On Screen user interface as "One" unified system. They will remain Two separate distinct systems, each with their respective capabilities. The main purpose of this integration is to allow us to view our entire multi-system collection simultaneously, and select content as we currently do for each respective system. If you select a movie from the guide that is stored in your Premiere system server(s), then Player's capable of playing that content will have access to it for playback. If you select a movie that has been downloaded from the K Store, then Strato or Alto (as appropriate) will be used for playback. There is more to the integration, but that is the primary gain from integrating when the software becomes available.

Now the important point, there is NO PROVISION in the integration that allows for importing a physical UHD (4K) disc to any Server, not the Premiere Servers, nor the Encore Servers. That function does not exist. There is also currently no way to "Catalog" ownership of UHD content, because there is no internal UHD drive in any K component. The reasons don't really matter at this point, it just isn't currently available.

If any of our usual K folks need to clarify any of this info, please feel free to correct it, or add to it.

Jim

I actually received Four separate contacts since posting above questioning what this upcoming "integration" accomplishes.

To be as clear as possible, the integration is essentially going to allow us to view our Two systems (assuming you own both a Premiere and an Encore system) in the On Screen user interface as "One" unified system. They will remain Two separate distinct systems, each with their respective capabilities. The main purpose of this integration is to allow us to view our entire multi-system collection simultaneously, and select content as we currently do for each respective system. If you select a movie from the guide that is stored in your Premiere system server(s), then Player's capable of playing that content will have access to it for playback. If you select a movie that has been downloaded from the K Store in DVD/Blu-ray quality, then any M class player, Strato or Alto (as appropriate) will be used for playback. If you select a 4K movie then a Strato will be used for playback. There is more to the integration, but that is the primary gain from integrating when the software becomes available.

Now the important point, there is NO PROVISION in the integration that allows for importing a physical UHD (4K) disc to any Server, not the Premiere Servers, nor the Encore Servers. That function does not exist. There is also currently no way to "Catalog" ownership of UHD content, because there is no internal UHD drive in any K component. The reasons don't really matter at this point, it just isn't currently available.

If any of our usual K folks need to clarify any of this info, please feel free to correct it, or add to it.

Jim

Corrected slightly :)

As for UHD Blu-Ray becoming available in any form for Kaleidescape that is up to the manufacturers releasing the drives to 3rd party companies like Kscape *AND* if Kscape actually want to support the format. Lets not forget there are under 50 discs available right now and if the format dies early then all the R&D will have been for nothing.

UHD BDs are still blu-rays, so has there been a definitive statement that we won't be able to import & play as normal once hybrid-mode becomes an option? Premiere-side allows BD import, Encore-side allows 4k storage & playback, so it should be check-check-done.

UHD Blu-Ray is not just a Blu-Ray it requires a whole new disc drive. Drives which manufacturers have not released to 3rd party companies like Kscape yet (and might never do). There is a strong possibility we may never see a UHD Blu-Ray drive for PC's or Laptops either.

Back