• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

DTS X in the K store

Nabs17

There are 2 movies with a DTS X soundtrack on blu ray:

The Last Witchhunter
Crimson Peak

Do they have DTS X soundtracks on the K store because it's not listed as an audio option. So has anyone downloaded either of these movies and can confirm?

I was not aware that the DTS-X decoders were available yet. I'm sure we will continue to see more and more movies that include DTS-X in the Store, but we still need our PrePro's and Receivers to decode the audio. I had to order the new Atmos/DTS-X card for my Datasat RS20i, should be arriving soon, but I think it may need an update when DTS-X is finally available (if it isn't already).

Jim

Some Denon and Marantz models already have the firmware to decode DTS X. I have a Yamaha processor and we are getting our firmware updates in March but if these movies just have DTS HD tracks then I'll go buy the physical discs.

There are 2 movies with a DTS X soundtrack on blu ray:

The Last Witchhunter
Crimson Peak

Do they have DTS X soundtracks on the K store because it's not listed as an audio option. So has anyone downloaded either of these movies and can confirm?

Also, "Ex Machina" has a DTS:X sound track on BR.

John

I can confirm the Last Witch hunter and American Ultra have dts:x encoding. Downloading Crimson Peak now...

Some Denon and Marantz models already have the firmware to decode DTS X. I have a Yamaha processor and we are getting our firmware updates in March but if these movies just have DTS HD tracks then I'll go buy the physical discs.

Thanks for that info! I figured it would be any day if it had not already been released. Now we have to decide what the speaker setup should be to best take advantage of all Three codecs (Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro)!

Jim

I can confirm the Last Witch hunter and American Ultra have dts:x encoding. Downloading Crimson Peak now...

Thanks...that's good to hear as I was wanting to download Crimson Peak. I will download tonight and it will be there by the time I wake up.

Thanks for that info! I figured it would be any day if it had not already been released. Now we have to decide what the speaker setup should be to best take advantage of all Three codecs (Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro)!

Jim

According to DTS they are "supposedly" adaptable to any speaker layout. I'll know for sure next month. Since I'm Yamaha, I won't have Auro.

Jim, I'm ordering my Datasat RS20i with both Auro and Atmos next month for our new theater that just started construction this morning. So excited! I assume your answer is yes, but do you love it?

Absolutely!! It is the best processor I've ever had in any of my spaces. (Disclosure: Datasat is one of the lines we carry in my CI biz., along with Trinnov, Bryston (SP3 also has an incredible sound), and the usual Receiver suspects (Denon, Integra, etc.). After hearing just about anything I could get my hands on, I selected the RS20i for my spaces.

That said, I still spec the Trinnov Altitude for high-end projects that require more than 16 independent channels, or use of their remapping feature. I think both pieces are incredible, but I prefer the sound of the RS20i (as do many friends that have heard both).

Jim

According to DTS they are "supposedly" adaptable to any speaker layout. I'll know for sure next month. Since I'm Yamaha, I won't have Auro.

Interested to hear about your experience with the speaker layout. I think the consensus amongst my other enthusiast friends is DTS will probably match up better with the recommended Auro layout, but I guess we'll know soon enough as all of these are now available. I've got an order on hold for the additional Pro Audio Tech speakers for my main theatre, trying to finalize the layout after playing with DTS.

Auro sounds great, but not sure how much traction they are getting against Atmos and now DTS-X.

I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Jim

I also have the Datasat RS20i, but not yet upgraded it for Auro, Atmos, or DTS-X. I’m currently running mine in a 7.1 configuration in a small room. I’ve been sitting on the fence, holding off on the upgrade, waiting to hear recommendations for the height speaker layout. Any observations, advice, etc would be very helpful!

As I understand it, Auro’s recommendation is adding a speaker to each of the 4 top corners of the room, and one speaker directly overhead in the ceiling. With Amos, the ideal placement is adding 4 speakers in the ceiling: a stereo pair to the front of the listening position, and a stereo pair to the back of the listening position. With DTS-X, I have no idea what their ideal recommendation is.

Since mine is a small room, I ideally want to pick one layout that will work well with all three sound formats. I’ve heard through the grapevine that Auro sounds the best, but I’m betting that if there is a “sound format war”, Dolby will win based on their clout.

Any listening observations you folks would share is most appreciated!!

Dave

The Auro layout depends on the number of channels you plan to support, and although obviously room size makes a difference, for most folks the major limiting factor is likely to be the independent channel support of their Receiver or Processor. I have not seen a corner height location recommendation ("4 top corners of the room"). When possible, Auro recommends an upper layer aligned with a typical 5.1 or 7.1 setup, i.e. directly above the current speakers. At a minimum, they recommend a height speaker directly above the Front Left, Front Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, and the single "VOG" in the ceiling above the MLP.

I'm sure over the coming months there will be recommendations on how best to configure a setup that plans to use all 3 formats. Fun times again!

Jim

Since we tore the room apart to re-do everything, we can try and accomplish support for all of them. We're going with 7.7.2 if that's the right way to say it. The usual seven positions at ear level, then the same seven at ceiling level expect for instead of a front-center there will be the VOG speaker directly overhead. The front and back will each have 2 large in-wall subs. That will be a big upgrade for us - very excited!

Sounds like a lot of work, but always fun to create a new setup! I'd be interested to hear how that turns out (net support for the 3 codecs).

Jim

I am running 7.4.2 and the Atmos tracks sound amazing. Can't wait for firmware to be released for DTS: X.

I had asked this awhile ago and requested that K list this just as they list the Atmos movies in the collections section.

Can anyone confirm a list of movies that are DTS X in the store?

I can think of two off the top of my head:

The Huntsman: Winter's War
Patriot's Day

John

ETA: Also, "London Has Fallen" and "Nerve".

Last edited:
Back