• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Dolby Vision

steelman1991

Anyone any information whether there are any plans to include this, or even if the Strato has the necessary chip to enable introduction?

Just curious if this is on the Kaleidescape road-map, or if the intention is to run only with HDR10.

Anyone any information whether there are any plans to include this, or even if the Strato has the necessary chip to enable introduction?

Just curious if this is on the Kaleidescape road-map, or if the intention is to run only with HDR10.

The Strato doesn't have the hardware chip for DV.

It's kind of wrong to write off DV by then because of a hardware claim, when Dolby announced a DV software SDK a while back. If you search for it, all the major tech sites carried stories on it. As long as the hardware is powerful enough, DV is firmware updated now with their SDK.

Would love to see them add Dolby Vision Support and with Ultraviolet support we could get all the titles that are DV on VUDU...

It's kind of wrong to write off DV by then because of a hardware claim, when Dolby announced a DV software SDK a while back. If you search for it, all the major tech sites carried stories on it. As long as the hardware is powerful enough, DV is firmware updated now with their SDK.

I think if Kaleidescape is saying they won't or can't support DV then we should take their word for it.

We've seen issues like this before. I am convinced these things are compromises that happen when you have to design components in an ever changing environment and you are not going to be a super large buyer of components like chips. So you get things like we have with the Premiere players not decoding the high res audio formats completely.

It just comes with the territory.

That being said, as I understand it, HDR 10, DV, isn't it all about metadata and the display performs the actual decoding? So just taking a guess here, I don't see why they couldn't just pass along the DV information? But I think there is much we don't know so there could be all sorts of reasons why it won't work. It's a shame if it is truly limited as DV seems to be a real improvement by allowing scene by scene HDR as opposed to the static setting of HDR10.

Does anyone know about HDR 10+?

This stuff can make your head spin!

Dolby Vision requires hardware support on the player/source side. Dolby has a nice white paper that explains in more detail how the Dolby Vision information is encoded, and how the work is divided between the player and the display.

Strato does not have the capability to support Dolby Vision. I wish it were as simple as supporting an SDK, but unfortunately, you either need hardware support or a lot of surplus processing power.

We’ve said publicly that Dolby Vision is an important consideration for future hardware.

Thank you Mike for clarifying and also the really fascinating article. I was expecting an overly technical article, but they have written this in an appreciable way for anyone with a basic understanding. I love the picture and sound out of my Strato!

Is this applicable to Terra servers as well or only Stratos? In other words, will terra servers need a hardware update for supporting DV?

Back