• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Dolby Atmos

fritzcurtis

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I have a new reciever coming in less than a month to upgrade my home theather to the new Dolby Atmos standard. My question is will K be pushing thru a firmware update soon to be able to push the new 9.2 or 11.2 standard to my reciever? My new reciever will process the signal as long as it is sent bitstream in the new 9.2 standard.

Atmos should not require a firmware update from K. As long as you're sending bitstream from your player to an Atmos-capable receiver, the receiver should recognize the Atmos-embedded stream. Atmos is designed to be backward-compatible with players and receivers.

I am not sure the last post was 100% accurate. For a receiver or pre/pro to be capable of decoding this new format, that processor must be capable of implementing the new algorithms required by atoms. Only receivers or pre/pro's that specify they are ATMOS compatible will be able to implement the new format. There is a requirement of additional channels necessary to convey the new spacial information... A receiver would need additional speaker outputs. A Pre/Pro would need new line-level outs to drive additional amps...

That being said, it is true that there is no need to replace ones Blu-Ray player, and by implication a Kaleidescape system, since it more or less is a giant player. Here is a good article that details this...

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/dolby-atmos-moves

Matt

Sorry Wilson,

I was reading the post on my iPhone - a bad thing to do at my age :) I saw that you mentioned "Atmos is designed to be backward-compatible with players and receivers." But looking at it on a bigger monitor, I now see you also stipulated "Atmos-capable" in another sentence...

Matt

Imported the new Transformers movie into the Cinema One (2nd Gen) and played the movie on my new Dolby Atmos receiver. Came thru loud and clear. The Dolby Atmos codec is a must upgrade for hem theater. I was unreal sounding. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your receiver to an Atmos enabled one. You won't regret it.

There seems to be an issue on Some Atmos material including Expendables 3 and the Atmos Demo disc. This is a confirmed issue they are working on currently.

What's the issue? (I'm curious:))

Jim

I had audio dropouts. When I called tech support they said it is a known issue.

Thanks guys!

Jim

Is the dropout issue solved? Also, what is the best way to find Atmos titles in the Store? I tried the obvious, searching for "Atmos" in the search bar, but of course that turned up nothing.

Bummer. I had 8-10 dropouts in one movie, most recently. Not Atmos, mind you, because I haven't gotten my ceiling speakers installed yet, and actually this wasn't an Atmos movie. I only have one player, an M300, so I don't think the system is overloaded from a streaming perspective.

These problems tend to be "seamless branching" issues, in particular when part of Dolby TrueHD Playback and using Bitstream as opposed to PCM (required for all KPlayers given the lack of internal HD codec decoding). Not sure firmware can fix the issue, it may require some hardware change at some point, or a modification to the BR disc encoding, not sure that's even being considered. There are a lot of BR players in the market suffering from the same problem, so hopefully a fix for all will be forthcoming, but be prepared to live with this issue for awhile.

Jim

There appears to be some change with the latest KEOS upgrade. The Expendables 3 and the Dolby Atmos disc that were not working properly seem to have been cured.

Back