• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disc to digital question

If fraud is the concern from a mobile app, I wonder what’s the hesitation from K to release a windows/Mac app that reads discs?
Agree, but they would have to maintain the app. It has also been mentioned to use the USB port somehow that is on the back of Stratos. If that worked at least they could control…. Maybe only recommend a few specific portable disc drives supported. There are smart folks at K who maybe could come up with something! SJ

Sure, any process that makes it easier for an owner to prove ownership of content would be welcomed by all owners, and using an optical drive connected to a PC or Mac would be a good solution. I'm not arguing against finding ways to make the process easier on owners (and frankly easier on me given the number of Alto's I've sacrificed to help with cataloging), I was only pointing out why a scanning App might not get support from content owners willing to offer D2D on their content once ownership of the physical copy is established.

Jim

Sure, any process that makes it easier for an owner to prove ownership of content would be welcomed by all owners, and using an optical drive connected to a PC or Mac would be a good solution. I'm not arguing against finding ways to make the process easier on owners (and frankly easier on me given the number of Alto's I've sacrificed to help with cataloging), I was only pointing out why a scanning App might not get support from content owners willing to offer D2D on their content once ownership of the physical copy is established.

Jim
I think your last sentence is the answer. Kscape has the technical knowledge and expertise to do this, as we all know. However, getting the content owners to agree to something I imagine is the HUGE sticking point. The possibility of fraud is huge and any system likely to get the content owners on board with supporting it in this day and age will likely be either very costly or burdensome. There are too many services cracking protections left and right which could enable anyone with a burner or cracked drive firmware to load .iso images into a system to "prove" ownership of a physical disk. As much as I would love this myself, I think the likelihood of this happening is pretty remote. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I don't understand why the content owners would be an issue at all.

The content owners already allow Vudu to have an app with barcode scanning.

They also already allow kscape to use an Alto to read a disk and catalog it - so why would there be any issues allowing kscape to either adapt the Alto process to a pc/mac with a drive attached or follow a similar approach to Vudu?
Its film cataloguing, not movie ripping.

Let's be honest, kscape owners have already dropped at least $7000 on hardware, are they really going to be running round Best Buy and scanning films to save $10 on a film upgrade?

Owners should be asking why kscape hasn't already provided this functionality, they are a software company and it's not as if they are releasing huge UI or hardware changes.

if content providers can’t or will not allow other means of authentication then K should start selling hardware for the sole purpose of cataloging and authenticating the customer has possession of the disk in their home. That is what they do now with the Alto. They should be able to do this for a standalone K disc reader that would hook into the home K network. Sell it for $199 or include it with a new Strato C/Terra system sale. Without a viable D2D program for new customers the value of ever owning a K system diminishes greatly. I love my Terra system but the quality differences in K vs streaming is narrowing . K should give customers a good reason to switch to K vs having inherent barriers to entry. You’d think they would have more clout with studios if their customer base was larger and growing. Every K system purchase means studios will get to sell their libraries again. The other reason all K customers should want this is to protect the long term viability of our significant investment.

You’d think they would have more clout with studios if their customer base was larger and growing. Every K system purchase means studios will get to sell their libraries again.
I think the timing and store offerings (*put foot up on extras soapbox*) makes it fairly clear that for the most part they are treated as any other digital distributor. If anything, they aren't even getting off that good, considering they aren't listed as a distributor for purchase (although, to avoid dealing with people complaining about needing to buy an $8,000 Roku to watch the movie they just purchased, it could as easily be K asking to stay under the mass' radar.)

I've got a thousand or so discs that I would love to migrate over when the time comes, and while linking it with a VUDU/Movies Anywhere type app would be preferable, at this point I wouldn't be against actually sending in a lot of my old physical movie copies if it meant putting them into my K account.

Back