• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Coming up next - place your bets

Which of the "Big Ten" movie studioes do you think will be next to be added to the Kaleide

• Relativity Media

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Open Road Films

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess it comes down to the store being so good at what it does. We want more.

It is so convenient, if you live in the US of course, to just press a button and get what you want in about an hour. With easy options to upgrade your current DVDs as well. It's a no-brainer. Content is the only limiting factor.

I cannot tell, is the new Miramax sale a not so subtle hint, or have they been a sleeper-cell under LG the whole time? They aren't directly mentioned in either the thread here or K's press release for Lion's Gate.

Miramax was added as part of adding LG but it would be nice to think that it might be a subtle hint of things to come...

John

Understood, but those services do not store content in the same way K does (the Alto gets closest), and Disney has always been sensitive to the persistent copy/control issues. Hopefully they've gotten past that by now.

Jim

It's encouraging that Disney allows Vudu to not only rent, but sell, Disney content there. I think that bodes well for us. I am not betting on Disney as the next studio on K's Store, but I do think it's realistic to expect they'll be there eventually, and the copy/control issue won't be an obstacle.

Miramax was added as part of adding LG but it would be nice to think that it might be a subtle hint of things to come...

John

I don't really follow the "who's in bed with whom" thing very closely. What subtle hint would Miramax imply?

The last time they added someone they had a theme based sale. When they added the new studio they had to add movies from that studio to the sale. If they have a studio based sale they don't have to worry about adding new titles into the sale. Oh, and a lot of wishful thinking......

John

Oh, understood. I was just thinking there was some relational reason I didn't know about. Maybe a certain studio was involved with another studio, and it was a relationship I didn't know about. But K's previous behavior around adding an additional studio is certainly worth taking note of, too. I am new enough to the Store itself that I have always only know it to have the current four studios, so I was unaware of that trend.

Still hoping for some big news soon.

Now that I've forgone 3D viewing, that's no longer a blocker for me with K. Just need wider content support. Need it soon though or else I'm going to need to buy more hard drives for my diy server. I'd like to avoid that.

Well, I think we all know the content is coming, and sooner rather than later. I would personally spend any improvement money on getting into K as soon as you can. I don't think you'll regret it.

Really seemed like a missed chance for Disney to stick K's logo in the marque of stores that would get the Star Wars chronicle digital collection on sale Friday.

Maybe that just means Disney isn't the next studio? I'd like to see them, but heck, I'll take any new studio at this point. Just keep plugging until we eventually have them all.

Big missed chance here. This story is getting loads of press and all the carrying stores are named in just about every article.

.....Still

Now that I've forgone 3D viewing, that's no longer a blocker for me with K.....

Started out not a fan of 3D, but after changing projectors to a 5000 lum. setup I changed my mind. Light really makes a difference, as does the 3D gear being used (IMO). In addition, the passive 3D on Sony's 84" 4K is excellent, not sure I could give 3D up at this point, but the marketplace may someday dictate a change in availability.

Jim

Question for the 3D crowd. I've heard that the new UHD bluray coming will NOT include a 3D option other than the HD legacy version. Is that a sign that 3D is just not viable? Am I missing something or have I misunderstood the new standards?

Sorry for the off topic.

And come on new studios!!

You are correct, there is currently no agreed to standard for 4K 3D. Doesn't mean it can't be added at some point, but for now it is backward compatible, and limited to, the current BR 3D. I guess it could be read as a general support for 3D going forward issue, but there has been no statement from any official source indicating a pull-back from 3D. Just about all of the gear currently being sold still supports 3D, you just don't see much in the way of a marketing push anymore. That could be a sign, but it could also be they consider the public to be 3D "educated," and marketing dollars need to be allocated elsewhere (4K, UHD???).

Jim

Back