• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Coming up next - place your bets

Which of the "Big Ten" movie studioes do you think will be next to be added to the Kaleide

• Relativity Media

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Open Road Films

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr.Poindexter

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Anybody want to wager a guess on which studio will be next in the Kaleidescape store?

There are three majors left of the Big Six that are not in the store yet.
Fox - 18.8% market share for 2014 (1st place)
Disney - 15.7% market share for 2014 (2nd place)
Paramount - 10.1% market share for 2014 (6th place)

There are three minors of the four that comprise the "Big Ten" with the six majors:
Weinstein - 2.2% market share for 2014
Relativity - 1.8% market share for 2014
Open Road - 1.6% market share for 2014

The Big Ten comprised 97% of all the movie market share in the USA for 2014. The studios Kaleidescape has in the store represent 46.8% of the box office. Of course, the box office does not take into account TV shows, which is a major part of the home video market now and I don't have data handy on those and how they fit or don't fit into the store's studio breakdown. (For example, Warner owns HBO films, but we don't have Sopranos or Game of Thrones available in the store)

It won't really matter to us non US customers as little or none of the material will be available in the UK store and even worse I don't believe there are any other stores for Europe. No bets from me on this but I will offer 2:1 against the store expanding outside the US in 2015.

Hoping for Disney. They released their digital Anywhere format that can link with iTunes and Google Play stores. It would be great to link to Kscape Store.

I won't be voting as all I want is some better films to purchase than the scooby doo cartoon series which seems to be the most popular newest addition to the store since Godzilla.

The store outside of the US is a joke. I have looked at your offerings on the U.S. store and I was astounded at the selection you guys have on offer.

On that can you add in your poll if your outside the U.S. do you just want any other studio at all on the offerings ? :D

I won't be voting as all I want is some better films to purchase than the scooby doo cartoon series which seems to be the most popular newest addition to the store since Godzilla.

The store outside of the US is a joke. I have looked at your offerings on the U.S. store and I was astounded at the selection you guys have on offer.

On that can you add in your poll if your outside the U.S. do you just want any other studio at all on the offerings ? :D

I have discovered that the poll does NOT update if you live, work and play in Canada. I think there is a message somewhere in there.

Peter

I don't think I will be able to sell a vault any time soon, but I would have needed another if I wasn't able to unslot so many discs already.

I did a little looking at the store and went through my receipts and found some interesting things.

In the past 12 months, I have made 43 separate purchases in the store - some for one title and some for multiple. I looked at the order dates and order numbers and came to find the following:

In the last 401 days, the store has made 61,062 "sales". (some might be for free as coupon redemption, some might be a couple sales grouped into one receipt)
That is an average of 152 sales per day. From November through end of January, that rate is much higher at 272 sales per day. The numbers might be skewed by black friday sales and also addition of a new studio certainly will add large numbers of purchases in the immediate time after the addition. Also, new studios online increase the number of sales as more titles are available.

Still, is 152 sales per day a number that a studio would find interesting? While it sounds like a lot, if the average "ring" was $30, then it is only $4500 per day, or $1.6M in annual sales or about $500k per major studio annually. I don't think that is really enough to get them excited, but I do see a trend towards store purchases increasing over time.

The biggest sales jumps I saw were the days just around Christmas of 2013, where they hit 574 per day over a 3 day period and just over 500 per day after Thanksgiving of 2013. The biggest purchase I ever has was $143.28, which is when I was able to do a UV upgrade on 72 titles from Warner. My average sale amount was $13.93 if I exclude the freebies I got.

So what is the sales count for non US stores (UK & Canada?). It would be interesting to know but then no new titles means no new sales which means no investment and so the spiral continues.

What I believe is the real benefit of the store is to provide cash-flow for Kaleidescape and as their customer base is predominantly US based they get the best ROI there. You are right on the sales numbers as they are more rounding errors on a studio's balance sheet than strategic so studios will not get too excited and coupled with the niche nature and high price of the Kaleidescape product it will always mean they stay niche with no real studio leverage.

Thanks to Amazon my vault will continue to fill with discs as there is no alternative solution as even the UV Upgrade route is another localised solution as UV rights are at a country level so a bluray with a UV inlay card bought in the US can't be redeemed elsewhere and here in Europe a title with UV rights bought in one European country can't be redeemed in another.....

I will only really get worried when the play once and then self destruct disc is introduced.

Or they could of carried on letting people purchase discs and copy them as it is completely legal here in the UK to do so.

The studios have got everything backwards. They should of embraced the digital realm whilst they had the chance. The same with the music studios too.

But your right if the studios had their way you would pay, watch a film, then if you wanted to watch that film again you had to pay again. And again. And again. And again.

Every film the store releases new in the UK I have bought it. That's a total of 3 films in the last year. Lego movie, edge of tomorrow and Godzilla. 3 films.

I voted for Disney.:):cool:

Jim

Hoping for Fox, particularly if their rights to the MGM library carry over. Would assume we wouldn't have access to HD versions of catalogue titles produced by distributors like Twilight Time and Kino, alas.

I placed my bet on Fox because I think they are more likely to come to the table before Disney.

I voted for Disney.:):cool:

Jim

I sure hope you're right. Many movies that I have on Blu-ray are Disney-owned, and I would love to get them on the server. With my only video player being an M300 at the moment, I don't have a BD-compatible reader, so I am "relegated" to using my Oppo BDP for Blu-rays. Poor me, I know, but it would be nice to have them on the server. I already joined Disney's version of UltraViolet just in case. ;)

Just for comparison, here are the total titles and BR titles for the major studios:

Warner Bros - Total Titles: 13,208 (BR Titles: 2,331)
Lionsgate Films - Total Titles: 1,189 (BR Titles: 712)
Sony Pictures - Total Titles: 7,935 (BR Titles: 1,130)
Universal Studios - Total Titles: 9,152 (BR Titles: 1,206)

20th Century Fox - Total Titles: 9,278 (BR Titles: 1,434)
Disney/Buena Vista - Total Titles: 6,333 (BR Titles: 1,002)
Paramount Pictures - Total Titles: 5,836 (BR Titles: 894)
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer - Total Titles: 1,453 (BR Titles: 535)

I voted for Fox just because of the possible issues dealing with Disney (no UV rights). But now that they have their own Anywhere store and have worked out deals with Itunes and Vudu i am starting to be more positive that something will be worked out with K. I just think it will be further down the road.

John

Not really a vote for what we want. We want them all. More of a bet on which one is next, as I assume we won't have all the rest come online in one announcement.

Yeah, I went with who I figured would fall next.

Who do I want next? Anyone willing to join WB in a pro-extras license :)

Paramount is my dark horse pick. With all the Star Trek and other multi-disc TV shows, it could be a very efficient catch.

Back