• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CEDIA Expo 2015 - Big reveal

What would be cool is if a Strato could "see" a premiere system, player, server and allow legacy content to play through it, and K could report when new movies are brought in to the store that allow us to replace the disk rips with store downloads, eventually being able to remove the premiere system all together.

I am not worried about our Premier line. They have never abandoned us before. Even when the Alto came out with the Disney content, that was also rolled out to the Premier line customers, most of whom I think have decided not to opt in to Disney's requirements.

The Premier line is still the only one that allows music playback. It is also the only line that really doesn't have a limit to quantity of players and servers.

Right now, it appears as though only Sony is in the 4K store, so there is likely not a whole lot of content yet although that will probably change in the coming months. What I do expect in the coming months would be as follows:
Premier Line UHD 4K Player (has 3D support to cover that gap in the 1080p content)
Larger hard drives (6TB and later 8TB)
4K store support for above player
4K disk player to coincide with the 4K BluRay discs
4K disk vault

Come to think of it, the likely 4K player for Premier would be two of them - one a player only like the M300. The other a disc player/reader like the M500. I suspect we will see the Premier line get that duo once they roll out the disc players. It would also have a 4K variant of the Vault. 2 of these 3 new items require a new disc reader. Between now and then, our only real options are to wait, or see if Kaleidescape offers a 4K version of the M300 that can only be fed by the online store until the 4K vault and 4K tray player come out.

Launching a 4K version of the M300 would not have generated the buzz that they are getting with the Encore. If I have to wait a few weeks for the 4K Premier player, so be it, but I am not so pessimistic to throw in the town on the Premier line.

I do wonder what it will be like when replicating off these large drives. At the current transfer rate of 1TB per day, it will take me 7 weeks to replicate all the content from one of my servers to a new chassis with 8TB drives. That is a damn long time to replicate. It would take about 2 1/2 months to replicate all the content from a 3U server with 6TB drives if one wants to move up to 8TB drives. They are going to have to come up with a faster drive upgrade system soon.

Fingers crossed the Terra will work with 2nd gen C1's....

Hell, letting me upgrade both C1's 4gb to the 6gb would hold me over for a year or two.

Kevin D.

I'm sure the drives will cost separately at least $1200 for the premiere line if/when there're announced. So $1000 seems reasonable. I'll order 6 at that price now ;)
What I do expect in the coming months would be as follows:
Larger hard drives (6TB and later 8TB)

Considering the 6Ts look to be coming in at the same "low" price of the current 4Ts, I'm guessing (with a bit of hope thrown-in) that the 8Ts are far more impending. [Not that I mind the prospect of a new lower starting-point, it just makes the return of the legacy loan process all the less likely.] That's a good thing, since I'm not loving the marginal increase in space provided by 6Ts, but getting some 8Ts in the mix will significantly benefit my capacity formula. Anything to slow the need to troll the listings for another chassis and maintain focus where it belongs... on vaults.

I based my price assumption on past hd prices from K. When I first joined this "club" K had just introduced 1Tb drives and they were priced similarly. My current system has 3Tb ones and I'm close to needing more so any introduction would be welcome. I think I only have room for about 10 more bluray titles. 8Tb would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

I based my price assumption on past hd prices from K. When I first joined this "club" K had just introduced 1Tb drives and they were priced similarly. My current system has 3Tb ones and I'm close to needing more so any introduction would be welcome. I think I only have room for about 10 more bluray titles. 8Tb would be great but I'm not holding my breath.

This question is based on total ignorance, so please bear with me. Why can't you just swap in a bigger hard drive? Why do you have to buy the drives from K?

In my instance I can just simply add more drives. My 3U server has six open slots.

You need K specific optimized drives that have been formatted for the K system. This is proprietary software that we just don't have access to.

Back