• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

cannot access my system or user interface - help

bedbuged

Came home today to find my player frozen on the cover art page. Was unable to navigate the system so I went to computer to pull up the user interface to no avail.

I rebooted the server and my players... now my server appears to begin booting, the lights on the front panel go from bright blue to the dimmer blue then after about 1 minute it switches back to the brighter blue, and goes offline, then back to the dimmer blue... this continues indefinately. The lights on the k-disks are all blue.

The player has no onscreen display at all now and the front panel just stays bright blue.

I have spent the last 10 hours searching posts on the forums, searching the Kaleidescape website, checking network connections, reconfiguring my router and firewall to no avail... hopefully K will be able to diagnose this over the telephone for me... If it hadn't been Sunday I might have an answer already... Its not knowing thats been driving me nuts.

If you guys have any thoughts on the matter it would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance.

You may want to hook up a computer to the serial port and check the boot log. You will have to download and install a program called putty to do it, but it is a free program. That will let you know how far along the boot process it is getting which should help troubleshoot what is wrong, in the event that it cannot boot up enough to send a log file to Kaleidescape.

Yes, and that's what K tech support will probably get you doing as well. If you are having boot difficulties their remote access to your system for diagnostics might be problematic as well. Remember that you need a serial modem (crossed) cable to connect the PC to the server.

Here is an example Putty log of a failed server boot...

+Kaleidescape Server Boot...

ata_pci_probe: Silicon Image SiI3512 Serial ATA Controller

ata_pci_probe: Intel AHCI-ICH6M SATA controller

AHCI ABAR: 0xd02c3000, CAP 0xC6107F03, SSS off

ad0: 750GB <ST3750640NS> (3QD0B7J5) [1453521/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA133 in slot 1

Add ad0: scp 104F310, sc 104CE10, drive 0, slot 1, channel 0, pm-scp 0

1U server

Find a hard disk...

Drive 0:

Slot number 1

Total sectors 1465149168

Drive description ST3750640NS

Serial number 3QD0B7J5

Controller Silicon Image SiI3512 Serial ATA Controller

Starter_start_sector 00000110, Starter_byte_length 00144938

Read in the starter from slot 1, drive 0...

ad0: ata_wait_for_interrupt_completion: timeout waiting for intr

ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting

ad0: ad_error_handler: timeout error, retrying

ata0: ata_reinit: resetting devices ..

ata0: ata_reinit: done

ad0: ata_wait_for_interrupt_completion: timeout waiting for intr

I would call Kaleidescape tech support, but it looks like one of the drives won't start. Even with RAID, there are some drive errors that will pull down the system although removing the offending drive will allow the system to boot up without the redundancy. I would bet that will fix the problem but I certainly would talk to Kaleidescape first.

Thanks for all the help

Just wanted to thank you guys for all the helpful suggestions...

Mr. Poindexter... you were spot on with your advice. K-scape tech support called me first thing in the morning, and directed me to do a few things which included:

Bypassing my router and hooking the server directly to an internet connection (unfortunately my server did not communicate anything back to k)

Connect an ethernet cable from my pc directly to the back of the server, and do an 'ipconfig' from the c:\ command prompt (i think to verify the ip address of the server)

Then they wanted me to locate a "null" serial modem cable which was the cable brodricj mentioned... I knew I had one somewhere, so K sent me an e-mail with some links to their knowledge base on what exactly to do... which involved using putty to check the boot log.

Now I have to e-mail the boot log to tech support to see what they make of it... I am keeping my fingers crossed its some knid of drive failure because my server is my only piece of equipment that is 'out of warranty'.

For what its worth.... here is the boot log from putty:

+Kaleidescape Server Boot...

ad0: 1000GB <ST31000340NS> (9QJ1LQ1X) [1938021/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA133 in slot 1

Add ad0: scp 104F310, sc 104CE10, drive 0, slot 1, channel 0, pm-scp 0

1U server

Find a hard disk...

Drive 0:

Slot number 1

Total sectors 1953525168

Drive description ST31000340NS

Serial number 9QJ1LQ1X

Controller Silicon Image SiI3512 Serial ATA Controller

Starter_start_sector 00010110, Starter_byte_length 00144938

Read in the starter from slot 1, drive 0...

Starting the starter at 00108000

+yukon_init_pci_devices: CHIP_ID_YUKON_2

yukon_init_pci_devices: Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter

PrefPort:A RlmtMode:Check Link State

Marvell Yukon PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller detected

Start USB UHCI HC 0, base 0x0000db00, irq 0x2c

Start USB UHCI HC 1, base 0x0000dd00, irq 0x2b

Start USB UHCI HC 2, base 0x0000d800, irq 0x25

Start USB UHCI HC 3, base 0x0000d900, irq 0x2a

Start USB EHCI HC 0, base 0xd02c0000, irq 0x2c

EHCI-HC: EHCI version 1.0

EHCI-HC: companion controllers, 2 ports each

USB device detected on port 0, hub USB-Dev-1-root_device

USB hub attached with 8 ports with 8 removable, self powered: EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1

USB device detected on port 0, hub USB-Dev-3-root_device

USB hub attached with 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered: UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

USB device detected on port 0, hub USB-Dev-5-root_device

USB hub attached with 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered: UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

USB device detected on port 0, hub USB-Dev-7-root_device

USB device detected on port 0, hub USB-Dev-9-root_device

USB device detected on port 1, hub USB-Dev-8-uhub

Scanning for USB micro
Found the USB DFU interface
DFU firmware verification completed successfully: 4083 bytes in 0.843s

Kaleidescape VS Starter version 3.8.1-8253 booting....
ad0: 1000GB <ST31000340NS/SN05> (9QJ1LQ1X) [1938021/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA133 in slot 1

ad1: 1000GB <ST31000340NS/SN05> (9QJ1M04G) [1938021/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA133 in slot 2

Add ad0: scp 183EA3C, sc 193012C, drive 0, slot 1, channel 0, pm-scp 0

Add ad1: scp 183ED9C, sc 19302BC, drive 1, slot 2, channel 1, pm-scp 0

Invoking main system image...
+yukon_init_pci_devices: CHIP_ID_YUKON_2

yukon_init_pci_devices: Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter

PrefPort:A RlmtMode:Check Link State

Marvell Yukon PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller detected

Start USB UHCI HC 0, base 0x0000db00, irq 0x2c

Start USB UHCI HC 1, base 0x0000dd00, irq 0x2b

Start USB UHCI HC 2, base 0x0000d800, irq 0x25

Start USB UHCI HC 3, base 0x0000d900, irq 0x2a

Start USB EHCI HC 0, base 0xd02c0000, irq 0x2c

EHCI-HC: EHCI version 1.0

EHCI-HC: companion controllers, 2 ports each

USB device detected on port 0, hub USB-Dev-1-root_device

USB hub attached with 8 ports with 8 removable, self powered: EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1

USB device detected on port 0, hub USB-Dev-3-root_device

USB device detected on port 0, hub USB-Dev-5-root_device

USB device detected on port 0, hub USB-Dev-7-root_device

USB device detected on port 0, hub USB-Dev-9-root_device

Scanning for USB micro
Found the USB Application interface
Application firmware verification completed successfully: 4083 bytes in 0.545s
ad0: 1000GB <ST31000340NS/SN05> (9QJ1LQ1X) [1938021/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA133 in slot 1

ad1: 1000GB <ST31000340NS/SN05> (9QJ1M04G) [1938021/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA133 in slot 2

Add ad0: scp 49798F4, sc 4A5F864, drive 0, slot 1, channel 0, pm-scp 0

Add ad1: scp 4979C54, sc 4A5F9F4, drive 1, slot 2, channel 1, pm-scp 0

(E) Single-bit difference 01 at offset 3d55 in data block 0x6a on disk 2 in slot 1.

(E) Computing virtual block 0x6a on disk 2 in slot 1 failed. Status 1e0021.

(W) Rereading of block 200006a on disk 2 in slot 1 not allowed. Block state 2/IWOBS/b3000000

(W) Rereading of block 100006a on disk 1 in slot 2 not allowed. Block state 1/PW/b3000000

(W) After verification of block 200006a failed, 0 of 2 blocks were confirmed correct by being reread from disk.

Fatal Error: 001E403A

FSID=2D8B5BA0BE6AF1AE

Failed to write crash info on any drive.

Last edited:
There you have it, the server failed to boot although it did get a long way through the process. Have you only got 2 KDISCS in the server? As far as I know a server with 2 discs won't boot if one disc fails. The log seems to indicate a fatal write error, so with a bit of luck you're looking at a disc failure as opposed to a fatal hardware failure in the server. But I don't know, K will know exactly what the problem is. keep us posted!

I had no idea that a 2 drive server wouldn't boot in degraded mode. Never had that few number of drives before.

.......... I am keeping my fingers crossed its some knid of drive failure because my server is my only piece of equipment that is 'out of warranty'.........

Hopefully you will be fine, but it's nice to know the cost to replace an out-of-warranty Server is very reasonable under K's new replacement offer.:)

Jim

Kaleidescape Does it Again...

Well....

For a guy who just had a potential server failure on his hands, I couldn't be happier right now... How is that possible you ask?

I just heard back from the tech support department. Turns out after analyzing the boot log from my server, the problem seems to be with my drives.

Not just 1 drive, but they suspect both ( I only have 2 by the way) I asked tech support how that could possibly have happened without any kind of warning, and the explanation was a bit too technical for me to fully understand, but I was told it rarely to almost never does.

They initially told me if I sent them the drives, there was a very good chance they could recover the content and repair them. Then they gave me an even better option (in my opinion), which was to replace the drives under warranty with 2 'new' (not refurbished) units that will carry a full 2 year warranty! I will of course have to reload all the lost content, but thats a small price to pay for what I will be getting in return. I was told that they will be in the mail tomorrow morning.

The really nice thing (which is truely rare these days) is that the Kaleidescape 'experience' doesn't just end at the point of sale... They're there for you with tremendous back end support. From my inital call to them on Sunday, they had the problem diagnosed and resolved by Wednesday afternoon (it would have been even sooner, but I had to acquire a diagnostic cable, and that took me 1 day). They were prompt, professional, and went above and beyond on my behalf.

..The log seems to indicate a fatal write error, so with a bit of luck you're looking at a disc failure as opposed to a fatal hardware failure in the server...

Well, it looks like we had it diagnosed even before K tech support did :p

Are they exchanging your failed 1TB's for new 2 TB's, or new 1TB's??

As far as I know a server with 2 discs won't boot if one disc fails.

This is not correct. A server with a 2-disk filesystem will still be capable of booting and operating. Both drives have to fail to prevent the system from booting.

...A server with a 2-disk filesystem will still be capable of booting and operating. Both drives have to fail to prevent the system from booting...

Not always. I had a 1U server with 3 KDISC750's, 2 of which failed, and it would not boot on the remaining disc. The server log file of this event is the one I appended earlier in this thread.

Not always. I had a 1U server with 3 KDISC750's, 2 of which failed, and it would not boot on the remaining disc. The server log file of this event is the one I appended earlier in this thread.

That is true. A 3-disk system with two failed disks will not boot. For that matter, a server with any number of disks in its filesystem will not boot if two disks have failed.

But your original statement was "... a server with 2 discs won't boot if one disc fails." That statement is not correct.

Yes, that's the crux of it, which I didn't realize. A 3 disc server with 1 operative disc won't boot, but a 2 disc server with 1 operative disc will.

It really depends on the kind of RAID you are using. I think K is using a kind of modified RAID 5 setup.

Kaleidescape uses a variant of RAID 4.

Technically, a 3U server can boot with 2 bad drives as long as it had enough time after the first drive failed to rebuild it onto the hot spare, but at that point it is only missing one drive from the array and the hot spare is also bad.

Its a Kaleidescape Christmas

Today I awoke to my doorbell ringing... it was the Fed-Ex man. Under his arm was a package, and as I was signing for it, I caught a glimpse of the Kaleidescape logo on the side. Later, as I was opening the box, I actually had that feeling like I did as a child on Christmas morning unwrapping my presents from Santa!

Inside the box were 2 brand spank'n new 2tb drives! I have yet to install them in my server... too much holiday agenda right now... but they'll be up and running tonight because my wife and I purchased a bunch of movies as christmas presents for the kids.

Thank you Kaleidescape... for turning lemons into lemonade, and thanks to everyone on this forum for all the advice... I learned quite a bit as a result.

Happy Holidays and New Year to all...

Today I awoke to my doorbell ringing... it was the Fed-Ex man. Under his arm was a package, and as I was signing for it, I caught a glimpse of the Kaleidescape logo on the side. Later, as I was opening the box, I actually had that feeling like I did as a child on Christmas morning unwrapping my presents from Santa!

Inside the box were 2 brand spank'n new 2tb drives! I have yet to install them in my server... too much holiday agenda right now... but they'll be up and running tonight because my wife and I purchased a bunch of movies as christmas presents for the kids.

Thank you Kaleidescape... for turning lemons into lemonade, and thanks to everyone on this forum for all the advice... I learned quite a bit as a result.

Happy Holidays and New Year to all...

Good to hear! Have fun (and a wonderful new year as well)!!

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back