• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Best 4k HDR titles

dlittle

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Hi All! I was hoping to get some advice: which 4k titles I should buy.

I just added an Encore system (to my preexisting Premiere system), and hooked it up to a 4k OLED (LG), and want to buy some content to showcase it. Anyone have opinions?

Also, does anyone know if the Kaleidescape remotes can be adjusted to communicate with only one type of player at a time? Right now, pressing a button on the K-scape remote controls both the Premiere and Strato player at the same time.

Also, one of my Stratos is hooked up to a 1080 projector. Anyone compare a 4k movie "down-rezed" from the Starto, vs native 1080 version from the Premiere player?

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

The Kaleidescape remote does not have multiple code sets.

Our players do respond to Kenwood and Toshiba disc player commands, though, and you can selectively disable one or the other. So, if you use a universal remote, you could program one source with Kenwood and the other with Toshiba.

http://realorfake4k.com is a good place to consider if you are actually buying 4k or marketing puff.

Interesting site. What methodology do they use to determine whether it is 4K or not? Who are the folks who put this site up and what is their background? I am not suggesting that the data is not accurate but I would prefer to know how they made the determination.

I do not know where the site gets its information. However, you can check individual movies on IMDb. Look under technical details for Chromatographic Process. It should give the source format and the Digital Intermediate (master) format.

John

Interesting site. What methodology do they use to determine whether it is 4K or not? Who are the folks who put this site up and what is their background? I am not suggesting that the data is not accurate but I would prefer to know how they made the determination.

On the face of it, that seems like a great website, but good call to question the veracity of information. Skepticism is healthy and good. I don't have the answer but wanted to say thanks for asking.

I do not know where the site gets its information. However, you can check individual movies on IMDb. Look under technical details for Chromatographic Process. It should give the source format and the Digital Intermediate (master) format.

John

Unfortunately the same 'veracity' claims could will be levelled at IMDb, as it's a user maintained source- in much the same way as Wikipedia.

Unfortunately the same 'veracity' claims could will be levelled at IMDb, as it's a user maintained source- in much the same way as Wikipedia.
True but are there any you discrepancies you perceive?

It highlighted to me most all vfx and all cgi movies are still 2k. You need to quadruple processing power to generate in 4k

Toy Story is not even HD

Last edited:
Sorry @HobokenSkier, not sure how to interpret the first sentence.

All I was saying was that the information can't be relied upon to be accurate, given that it is 'user' driven and information is provided by individuals, rather than having guaranteed sources from the studios themselves.

Sorry @HobokenSkier, not sure how to interpret the first sentence.

All I was saying was that the information can't be relied upon to be accurate, given that it is 'user' driven and information is provided by individuals, rather than having guaranteed sources from the studios themselves.
First sentence - Frikkin autocorrect.

I hear your concern and trust but verify is a good mantra however those users generating this content are often a lot closer to the product than you think.

Personally the info passes the sniff test. Certainly discouraged me from buying trolls or sing in 4k.

None of this helps 4K gain traction. And our favorite company has pinned its future existence on 4K gaining traction... eek

I think you would be missing out if you relied on that website. Fake 4k or not, I thought The Legend of Tarzan on UHD together with its Atmos soundtrack was fantastic.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Where did you get that from - assuming it wasn't from Kscape - I can only source an HD version, albeit with Atoms soundtrack?

Lol.. That was supposed to be an angry emoji! Don't like buying discs!

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

The question that comes to mind is does the Blu Ray version have the same soundtrack? If so then I would be curious as to a real world comparison between the UHD and Blu Ray- even if the Blu Ray is upscaled for a 4K display. There is always a transition period with new technology. Maybe this time its a little more nuanced since the existing HD tech is pretty good to begin with?

Not true.

While content and corrections can be submitted by users it is still reviewed by the site for accuracy before being posted. From their web site:

"The information in IMDb comes from various sources. While we actively gather information from and verify items with studios and filmmakers, the bulk of our information is submitted by people in the industry and visitors like you."

"In addition to using as many sources as we can, our data goes through consistency checks to ensure it's as accurate and reliable as possible. However, there's absolutely no substitute for an international team of entertainment fans with an encyclopedic knowledge of trivia and a large assortment of reference works (and we include in this group many of our loyal contributors). Our sources of information include, but are not limited to, on-screen credits, press kits, official bios, autobiographies, and interviews."

In addition:

1) The site has been available since 1990 - so 26 years of history.
2) IMDb is the source sited in all the new 4K UHD movie reviews I have seen for video source and master resolution. I could have missed other reviews that use different sources but all of the ones I have seen reference IMDb.
3) I have used it for about 10 years now and have found it to be very reliable.
4) If you don't trust any on-line sources, it is a least a second source to verify the information from the "real or fake 4K" site.
5) It is definitely not the same as Wikipedia where anyone can update information. With IMDb you cannot - you have to summit information for approval and it either is accepted and the information is update or it is rejected.

John

Back