• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Barbie pre-order $45!

alexbeans

I know that it did well in the box office. But $45 for a pre-order for Barbie? It’s getting ridiculous considering that other outlets are charging $29. I think a $5 upcharge for K is reasonable even though I think $35 would still be too expensive. But $35 is still aligned with how much the physical 4K will probably sell for in week 1 release. It is trending $29-34 for 4K and drops to about $15-20 after 6 months. And down to $10-15 after over a year. This price point of $45 is crazy for any movie.

So...I recently paid for my Daughter and her friend to see the Barbie movie. Her friend really wanted to see it, so my Daughter decided to go. This was her FIRST time in an actual theater (she's 12). Up to this point none of my children had been to a theater, they're patient and willing to wait to see it in one of our home theaters. The tickets were $36, the snacks another $50, and pre-movie gaming another $20, so in my case the $45 is a bargain, especially because now we own it (the license to view) and can watch it at any time.

The other outlets (obviously much bigger than K) may be charging $29, but what are they doing for that $29? We know what K provides, and the work that goes into each release to allow us to use the content the way we do, and then there's the quality factor.

Jim

So...I recently paid for my Daughter and her friend to see the Barbie movie. Her friend really wanted to see it, so my Daughter decided to go. This was her FIRST time in an actual theater (she's 12). Up to this point none of my children had been to a theater, they're patient and willing to wait to see it in one of our home theaters. The tickets were $36, the snacks another $50, and pre-movie gaming another $20, so in my case the $45 is a bargain, especially because now we own it (the license to view) and can watch it at any time.

The other outlets (obviously much bigger than K) may be charging $29, but what are they doing for that $29? We know what K provides, and the work that goes into each release to allow us to use the content the way we do, and then there's the quality factor.

Jim
It would be a bargain if it was $45 and released at the same time as Day 1 in the theaters. For a family of 4, we have a Cinemark pass that we pay $10 per ticket. We probably would share a bucket of popcorn. These are only for must watch movies that we can’t wait to watch. But for digital downloads and for movies that has been out for months, it shouldn’t be this high. $30 should be a fair price for movies a month old and still in the theaters

I agree that this title is high for my liking, but also understand the "muscle" of each studio is who ultimately influences the Store pricing (since K provides the same benefits for each Store title). Each of us is free to voice their approval/disapproval with the studio by purchasing the title or not. I for one, will not be purchasing Barbie until it is cheaper (if I purchase it at all).

Andy

Warner has been higher than other studios for its hits for quite some time. It was an insult last week when they RAISED the preorder from $40 to $45.

I realize it’s a blockbuster huge hit, but they didn’t raise the price on other platforms and they didn’t raise the price of tickets in theaters. It’s a blatant cash grab.

Unfortunately two more open pre-orders had a price increase this week.

Warner is leaving money on the table. A $25 preorder is automatic for me. A $40+ preorder means I’m waiting until it goes on sale for $10-15.

The more they charge, the less I’m willing to pay.

It would be a bargain if it was $45 and released at the same time as Day 1 in the theaters. For a family of 4, we have a Cinemark pass that we pay $10 per ticket. We probably would share a bucket of popcorn. These are only for must watch movies that we can’t wait to watch. But for digital downloads and for movies that has been out for months, it shouldn’t be this high. $30 should be a fair price for movies a month old and still in the theaters

Sure, the impact is different for each of us, I was only commenting that my Barbie experience reminded me that I'm fine with the occasional expensive title, because I gain more with the Kaleidescape experience than I do a theater experience, BUT, I certainly don't disagree with any comment regarding the cost of this title. Fortunately we each get to decide for ourselves, as illustrated here.

BTW, I personally have zero interest in this movie.....but my Daughter and friend thought it was excellent.

Jim

Warner has been higher than other studios for its hits for quite some time. It was an insult last week when they RAISED the preorder from $40 to $45.

I realize it’s a blockbuster huge hit, but they didn’t raise the price on other platforms and they didn’t raise the price of tickets in theaters. It’s a blatant cash grab.

Unfortunately two more open pre-orders had a price increase this week.

Warner is leaving money on the table. A $25 preorder is automatic for me. A $40+ preorder means I’m waiting until it goes on sale for $10-15.

The more they charge, the less I’m willing to pay.
I feel the same. If a movie is around $25 at release and I want it, instant order. But these kind of inflated prices just leave me cold and I end up waiting for the inevitable sale that will get it down to $15 (see The Flash and others) or less. Especially at this time of the year when you know that just about everything will be on sale in a couple months for BF and the holidays.

Watch this instead. It's only 15 bucks and a much better of a guilty pleasure :)

Maybe Disney will purchase them and we will finally get $25 movies! They will also merge HBO with Disney+…. 😆

This is an interesting point. A pre-order of $25 will be automatic for many. But since that's not happening here - some people won't even spend $25 later on, but wait for a steeper sale. I'm kind of the same way on that. The "thrill" of release-week purchase goes away and now I can wait.

I recall "The Batman" was also a very steep pre-order price and there was no sale for some time. I waited...

I saw this movie in the theater. About 10 minutes before the end of the movie, the projector died! I had to pickup my kid, so I didn't have time to wait for them to fix it, or time to wait and ask for a refund. So, I was looking forward to buying this movie from Kaleidescape. But it's basically 50% more expensive than a digital streaming version! Quote annoying. Need to think about where to get this from now...

Barbie is weird because K is typically about a $5 premium over stuff like iTunes. But they have it for $29.99, so pretty big spread there.

Barbie is weird because K is typically about a $5 premium over stuff like iTunes. But they have it for $29.99, so pretty big spread there.
iTunes standard max pricing is $19.99 for non-early release titles, so if you extrapolate that compared to the normal $34.99 pricing of Warner titles on K for the first year or so, the $15 premium that Barbie on K has over iTunes has matches perfectly with prior Warner pricing discrepancies on K compared to other retailers. It's the $5 increase over previous Warner early release pricing of $24.99 and $39.99 on iTunes and K respectively that is the real news/bummer here.

Back