• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Audio dropout on M500

Mr. Integration

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Has anyone else had this issue. The audio momentarily drops out during playback of certain movies.

Seems to happen in the same place in the same movies but only Blu Ray

Has anyone else had this issue. The audio momentarily drops out during playback of certain movies.

Seems to happen in the same place in the same movies but only Blu Ray

I assume you are talking about a movie that has been imported and playing back from the Server (obviously with the disc in the tray)?? If so, and considering it is happening in the same spot, it is not likely the M500, it is more likely a glitch from import. I'd delete the movies and re-import.

Not saying it isn't a player issue, it could be, it could be something the player does during import.

It may also be something in your network that ocassionally affects imports (dropouts during import). Possible considering the dropout is happening in the same spot during playback.

Jim

Thanks for the reply. It happens if playing from the disc as well. Not every disc and not all the time.I seem to remember reading on the forum here that someone else had this issue.

do you have another blu ray player? try playing the same movie in that plugged into the same input on your source. perhaps something is amiss- at least it would rule that out. also try the analog outs of the K player to see if the problem is repeated that way.

Thanks for the reply. It happens if playing from the disc as well. Not every disc and not all the time.I seem to remember reading on the forum here that someone else had this issue.

Given that it happens at the same location, even playing the disc directly, I'm not sure how it would be the player, then again you mentioned this happening with several discs. I'm not sure what the trigger would be to make it happen in the same spot if the disc is not defective. Odd.

If you think it could be relevant, post the titles and we'll check them for the problem.

Also, good advice from Jerry (changing players, if you are able).

Jim

Thanks for the reply. ...I seem to remember reading on the forum here that someone else had this issue.

You might be referring to me. The audio dropout issue was traced to the video processor which was between the player and the audio processor.

You might be referring to me. The audio dropout issue was traced to the video processor which was between the player and the audio processor.

That's interesting, did they replace the Player?

Curious because of the "it happens at the same time on the disc," comment and the fact that it happened while playing the physical disc as well. Just doesn't seem logical it would be a player issue, unless there is "something" on the disc that triggers the video processor to glitch at that location.

I also wonder if the physical disc playback was "actually" the physical disc playing, or was the movie still coming from the Server.

Jim

Connect the M-Class player directly to the audio processor, no audio drop-outs. Put the video processor between the M-Class player and the audio processor, audio drop-outs present. No audio issues with K-Players in any configuration. It was deemed no fault with the M-Class player so there was no need to replace it. The problem was thought to be EDID related, with the VP not correctly identifying the audio capabilities of the M-Class player, or audio processor, or both (oh the hassles of the HDMI interface!).

Thanks B, I misunderstood your post (which is very clear once read with some sleep in between reads!:eek:).

So basically, your problem was not his problem, unless he also has a VP in between the AP and Player.

Jim

BTW, which VP was it that gave you grief (we regularly sell the Radiance models).

Jim

Radiance XS.

The problem was diagnosed remotely by Kaleidescape tech support, which quite amazed me. They could see via interrogating my server what components were reporting EDID and to what, and it was apparent to them the Radiance was the culprit. Turned out they were right.

Radiance XS.

The problem was diagnosed remotely by Kaleidescape tech support, which quite amazed me. They could see via interrogating my server what components were reporting EDID and to what, and it was apparent to them the Radiance was the culprit. Turned out they were right.

It IS amazing what they can look at remotely, they told me I wasn't paying enough attention to my wife.:eek:

Seriously, there is a lot thay can tell us about our systems. I am surprised to hear this about the Radiance, but that's good to know info considering we sell 'em. Thanks B.

Did you discuss this with Jim P. (at Lumi) already? If not, you may want to send them an email, or I'll call him if you'd prefer. This is the kind of thing Jim tries to stay up with, he doesn't like inconsistent performance.

Jim

I need more time with M-Class and the Radiance to see if this is an on-going problem, before reporting to Lumagen. The thing is, my M-Class player won't communicate with my Pronto remote so I removed it from my rack and put it back in it's box. I've gone back to using my MP2 instead, and it works fine with the Radiance. When I get around to sorting out the M-Class/Pronto issue, I can then tackle the M-Class/Radiance issue. But whilst my MP2/Radiance is working fine I have no urgency to tinker with the M-Class player any more, it can stay in the box for the time being.

Yes, that Pronto issue is one that bothers me as well. My decision was to stop using the pronto in my theatre, mainly because I'm committed to BR implementation which to me is a "must have" given the size of my screen. I'll figure out the Pronto later (I'm still using the TSU9800 and RFX9600 Extender). Not sure why the problem exists in the first place. In my system, I'm not sure if it was the last PEP2/9800/RFX firmware updates or adding in the M500 that screwed it up, I did them all around the same time.

Now that Pronto is officially being closed by Philips, and initial reports of a possible buyer have now been confirmed as just "some interested parties are talking with Philips," I may just scrap the Pronto gear and move to RTI, or perhaps relook at Crestron. We'll see.

Given your experiences thus far, I'm beginning to see why you are less than enthused about the current state of K BR. Hang in there, and lets start chipping away at some of these issues.:)

Jim

The message below was sent to me as a private message. I have no idea if this is true; however I did have my unit set to send bitstream vs. decoding internally. I will let you know I find

I am a new member and am not yet able to post. I wanted you to know that I found an unbelievable issue with my M300 and M500 players today that may be similar to your issue.
If you do not use your M300 or M500 players to decode (which I do not) and you pass bitstream data to your preamp (which I do) you will get audio dropouts when watching many blurays. The droupouts are always in the exact same place and they happen alot (a dozen or more times) on many popular titles. Iron Man2, Apocalypse Now, Robin Hood etc... The issue is with how the movies are encoded/edited. A process known as Branch Streaming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seamless_branching). I have contacted Kscape and this is a known issue and they are working on a software fix. Timeframe unknown (apparently less than 6 months). I was told that most people do not have this problem since most people let the M players decode. I foudn this infromtion quite unbelievable and cannot believe there are not mre people who have not complained or at least noticed the problem. I can tel lyou exact passages in movied where you will have an audio dropout when watching a Bluray over HDMI. The audio dropout happens for different languages as well (it is not just DTS-MA or DD-True HD formats)., PLease post this for me and I will be more than happy to share my findings with all that have this issue

Uh oh.....

I can't believe that K would release a product that would have this issue though.

You really should have the unit set to bitstream so the decoding happens in your receiver/ pre amp. Unless you dont care about the sound quality (eg- in many rooms I just need 2 channel basic audio).

Engineering is looking into this issue.

Jim

Looks like a software issue that may already be resolved. Testing will confirm the fix. (Basically it is thought to be a bitrate issue on some BR discs.)

Jim

Yes it is no big deal, I can live with the unit doing the decoding until they get a fix....No one responds like kscape. I am just glad to know what caused it

Saw the post on this thread tonight. I reported this issue to K-Scape shortly after the blu ray players were released, and was told it was a software issue. They reportedly thought they fixed the problem, which turned out not to be the case, and I re-reported the issue. It has been elevated to the upper tiers of the engineering staff I'm told.

Also, I reported this issue on the user forum:
http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5972#post5972

This has been a relatively unreported issue on the forum, as I think many users are not passing uncompressed bit rate audio to an audio processor.

Some specifics: It doesn't matter if the disc is imported or not; playing from the tray is an issue as well. I have two M500 players, and the behavior (audio dropouts) is identical. This was also reproduced by my dealer Definitive Audio in Seattle. This is a Kaleidescape Blu Ray player issue, not an audio processor or networking issue.

Unfortunately, this problem makes watching some blu rays un-watchable on the K-scape player, and I have resorted to using my Playstation. The worst offending titles are DTS Master Audio. Recent releases include Iron Man 2, Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, and Toy Story 3.

I have a lot of faith in Kaleidescape, and hope for a software fix.

With regard to your Pronto remote, I am using a TSU 9800 touch panel with my m500 players without a hitch. Have you installed the latest firmware in the panel, and the latest version of Pronto edit? Check with remotecentral.com

Dave Little

Back