• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Actor/ director detail

mani

I think K is missing out on capitalizing on Internet capabilities. Server is already connected to Internet, then why not make all the actor , director as hyperlinks , so you can click on them with the remote to get further options, including reading their biography, recent news , recent YouTube videos etc,. It won't cost any money at all. Movie server I built using mymovies ( 3-4 yrs ago) ,which was free had that option. And even links to trailers of upcoming movies of that particular actor/director. All that info is available on internet for free with no licensing etc.

There were some issues early on with that. Imagine you are an actor and you have your movie on there and click on it to read that the movie sucked and your performance was terrible. Or maybe it is a movie you like and read how the reviews state it is low brow humor that only uneducated people would enjoy.

Reviews are great for deciding if you want to see a movie or if you want to buy it, but once you own it, the reviews are not so important.

Also, the quality and reliability of streaming from the Internet is not as good and could diminish the experience if you click to watch something, see 10 seconds then have to wait 1 minute while the buffer loads again to show another 20 seconds and then pause again.

The idea has merit, but the implementation might not be 100% and that really is the bar that Kaleidescape shoots for.

Mr. P - the flaw in that is that Kaleidescape DOES do this for music - there are reviews built in and many of them say that an album is terrible, or a song is terrible, etc. So if offending the rare customer that ALSO happens to be an artist is really a concern, not sure why they'd do it to musicians but not actors or directors. I've long said the same thing as Mani - give us reviews. If you don't like seeing it, you can change it with the web interface, just like you can for any other piece of metadata... write your own review and put it up.

Since we're griping about movie metadata, i'll raise this one again: there's a huge flaw with Kaleidescape Actor search... only the first 4 actors are listed in the "Movies" list interface... so if you sort by an actor you often miss many of their movies if they were in it, but weren't considered one of the major 4 actors. Really frustrating. Means you can't rely on it to be a "mini-IMDB of your owned movies"...

I agree on the searchign for actors, which is often an issue when they are in ensemble cast films. It would make scrolling through the actors quite long if they put the entire listing in there though.

I wouldn't mind having an IMDB rating and/or rotten tomatoes score listed for the films.

As for the actors/directors not liking their films being dissed, this wasn't my opinion but what I heard about why it wasn't in the system. True, they have the info there for music, but I would bet they have a much higher penetration of the film industry than the music industry. I do recall being told that at one time the reviews for films were part of the meta data but were removed for the previously stated reasons. I got my first system a LONG time ago (back when the 5U server didn't even have GigE networking) and even then I did not see movie review info so if they dropped them, it was very early on.

yes, i heard that same thing Mr. P. that ratings/reviews were there for a short period, but were removed due to complaints from an owner who was in the film industry. Seems bizarre though... take this great functionality away from all of us rather than just telling that owner to go to his web interface and delete that info from the field via the "edit movie details" function if s/he doesn't want to see it on their system.

Back