• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: 4TB Drives Now Available

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Okay folks, if you've been waiting to upgrade your storage capability, now is the time!! K's 4TB drives are now available for ordering, inluding various upgrade programs (disk upgrades, 1U/5U Server upgrades). Check with your dealer for more info.

Retail for the drives is $1,295 (lower than the 3TB's!!!) (3TB drives have been reduced to $995 retail)

Jim

Okay folks, if you've been waiting to upgrade your storage capability, now is the time!! K's 4TB drives are now available for ordering, inluding various upgrade programs (disk upgrades, 1U/5U Server upgrades). Check with your dealer for more info.

Retail for the drives is $1,295 (lower than the 3TB's!!!) (3TB drives have been reduced to $995 retail)

Jim

My long wait is over!!!!

Geesh...I didn't even have time to call you...:D

Jim

Sooooo glad I didn't pull the trigger on the 3TB drives around Christmas! I was close and would have been supremely ticked to hear this news. My wait is now over!!

Help me with my math.

3TB were 75 blu-ray for 225 movies in a 1U or 25 per 1TB.
4TB shows 325 movies for a 1U or approx 27 per 1TB. Should it be 300 movies?

Help me with my math.

3TB were 75 blu-ray for 225 movies in a 1U or 25 per 1TB.
4TB shows 325 movies for a 1U or approx 27 per 1TB. Should it be 300 movies?

Hmm, does look like they changed their math. Two guesses. 1. Perhaps the average amount of data on a Blu-Ray has gone down by their calculations, so they took this opportunity to tweak the formulas?

2. From a marketing perspective, it's now a lot easier to present as follows:

1U Server can hold data from 1 Disc Vault
3U Server can hold data from 3 Disc Vaults

Those are just guesses though.

Not sure about the math, but these are really only generalities. Obviously, the differences in content on a BR disc affect what we actually get in storage. As you know, some discs have nothing but the movie and average 16 - 18 GB, and others have "extra's" that increase the size significantly. Then we have TV series, "Lawrence," Zhivago," and the like. Personally, I've never really paid attention, I just know when it's time to buy larger drives.:)

But I do understand that some folks "plan" around the numbers presented by K.

Jim

K is on a roll! Great timing too as I was just contemplating last night whether I could wait any longer to buy new disk drives.

:) Timing is everything I had just recieved a quote last week to upgrade to some 3 TB. So glad I was a liitle slow in placing the order. What a break:p

This really is great news. In the aftermath of the download store's introduction, all sorts of reserve capacity was used up. Now, instead of perhaps picking up one new drive I find myself upgrading everything to 4 TB drives. My 3U server just continues to stretch and stretch and stretch.

Great news! Can we trade our 3tb drives for the 4tb?

Owner's with 3TB systems did not show up in the dealer extranet for upgrades, but I inquired with K about 3TB systems and the thought was that most 3TB owner's would not be interested. So, although 3TB owner's may not appear in the upgradeable category, they can upgrade by having the dealer contact K directly to process the order. So "yes", you can upgrade.

Jim

Been waiting for these!

I purchased my Kaleidescape 3U Server and 2x M700's just before Xmas 2011 but missed the 3TB drives by only 2 weeks, I even got my dealer before I placed my ordered, to ask Kaleidescape if in the next couple of months they would be releasing 3TB drives but hey said that they were not planning to announce larger disc drive sizes and none were been tested...

Anyway at least the 4TB drives are out now just as I have filled my 3U!

I thought I was going to have to start deleting films!

Jim, what are the costs/options to upgrade from 14x 2TB's to 4TB HDD's please?

Thanks

Been waiting for these!

Jim, what are the costs/options to upgrade from 14x 2TB's to 4TB HDD's please?

Thanks

There are two options for upgrading KDISKS. You can select either 8 4TB, or a full (14 4TB) Server. Basically, you place the order, K sends you a refurbed Server with either 8 or 14 disks pre-installed. You replicate your content to the new 3U and then return the old Server, including all drives, to K. The new Server comes with a 3 year warranty (as do the drives), and any warranty period remaining on the old Server is added to the new Server (increasing warranty period beyond 3 years, but not more than 5 years). The cost for the upgrade is the cost of each KDISK times either 8 or 14. Current retail is $1,295 per disk.

Jim

Last edited:
I've gotten a couple of inquiries that indicate some folks may be confusing the disk upgrade promotion discussed above, and the Server upgrade promotion. These are two different promotions. The server upgrade promotion upgrades 1U's and 5U's. 5U's can be upgraded to either a 1U or 3U, and 1U Server's can be upgraded to 3U. The disks used in the upgrade can now be 4TB's, based on your storage needs.

Jim

Back