• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: 4TB Drives Now Available

There are two options for upgrading KDISKS. You can select either 8 4TB, or a full (14 4TB) Server. Basically, you place the order, K sends you a refurbed Server with either 8 or 14 disks pre-installed. ...The cost for the upgrade is the cost of each KDISK times either 8 or 14. Current retail is $1,295 per disk.
Jim
So if you want to do it via upgrade, with the new server and warranty, you can ONLY get 8 or 14 disks?

So if you want to do it via upgrade, with the new server and warranty, you can ONLY get 8 or 14 disks?

Those are the only two upgrade options available to dealer's on the dealer extranet. Additional drives beyond 8, and less than 14, can be ordered separately and installed by the owner/dealer. You cannot order less than 8.

Jim

do you know what the price is for the server upgrade - 5U to 3U?

These are the suggested retail promotion prices, after the trade-in, actual pricing is set by your dealer. (prices are rounded up slightly)

$19,400 for the 3U with 8 4TB drives.
$24,000 for the 3U with 14 4TB drives.

Jim

Hmm, does look like they changed their math. Two guesses. 1. Perhaps the average amount of data on a Blu-Ray has gone down by their calculations, so they took this opportunity to tweak the formulas?

2. From a marketing perspective, it's now a lot easier to present as follows:

1U Server can hold data from 1 Disc Vault
3U Server can hold data from 3 Disc Vaults

Those are just guesses though.

I found their calculation usually worked out to useable-space-in-TB divided by 12 is the number of vaults it can handle. However, I like extras, and those discs tend to be a lot smaller than features. Maybe the store will have a discounted extras-only option to prevent "wasting" a slot but matching up with the main volume.

PS - Hooray for big drives... now to go sneak up on some vaults to fill them with.

:) Timing is everything I had just recieved a quote last week to upgrade to some 3 TB. So glad I was a liitle slow in placing the order. What a break:p

I was in the same situation just over a year ago, except I pulled the trigger on a new set of 2TBs just days before the 3TB were announced.

...and as for the 3TB being reduced to $995 RRP, kind of kills the re-sale value of the 2TB's (although I'm not complaining...)

Without wanting to complicate the upgrade options here, if I have "w,x,y,z" number of 750/1/2/3 KDISCS, do these have any trade-in value on their own towards new 4TB? (i.e. without involving a server exchange).

Without wanting to complicate the upgrade options here, if I have "w,x,y,z" number of 750/1/2/3 KDISCS, do these have any trade-in value on their own towards new 4TB? (i.e. without involving a server exchange).

No. The disks alone have no value in the promotion. If a person is not taking advantage of the Server swap, then it makes no sense. The value in the disk trade up promotion is the Server K sends to accomplish the content replication from one set of disks to the new larger disks, AND the new three year warranty that is attached to the new Server (plus any warranty that may be remaining on the old Server, up to five years total).

The person that benefits the most from the disk upgrade promotion is the person with the smallest sized drives and a Server with an expired warranty.

Jim

Jim,
What are your thoughts on adding drives? I guess one shouldn't buy them until needed so as to get the max warranty out of them, but any other things to consider? I'm at about 50% capacity currently.

Matt

The person that benefits the most from the disk upgrade promotion is the person with the smallest sized drives and a Server with an expired warranty.

....and the person who would like to benefit the most is the one with a whole stack of older discs that don't presently belong in any server and which are currently virtually worthless. Even if Kaleidescape were to offer $100/each trade-in each on these would tempt me to buy 4 new 4TB's. Say, I sent them (7) 750's for a $700 credit on a set of 4TB.

What are your thoughts on adding drives? I guess one shouldn't buy them until needed so as to get the max warranty out of them, but any other things to consider? I'm at about 50% capacity currently.

If I have spare slots I will add another drive when the server exceeds 90% capacity. I take the view fewer drives gives reduced power consumption and reduced chance of drive failure.

....and the person who would like to benefit the most is the one with a whole stack of older discs that don't presently belong in any server and which are currently virtually worthless. Even if Kaleidescape were to offer $100/each trade-in each on these would tempt me to buy 4 new 4TB's. Say, I sent them (7) 750's for a $700 credit on a set of 4TB.

Why don't you remove the drives you are currently using in your Server, replace them with the 750"s, verify the extranet shows this configuration on your system (because the RMA that is generated on an upgrade is based on the system that appears in the extranet), then upgrade THAT system to new 4TB's.

Once the new Server arrives with the 4TB's, reinstall your current disks in your current Server, replicate the content, remove your current disks that have been replicated, reinstall the 750's you are returning to K per the RMA, and ship that Server w/750's back to K.

You will now have a 3U with a new 3 year warranty (plus any warranty period currently remaining on your current Server), populated with 4TB's, and you will have the drives removed from your current Server to keep or sell privately (which I assume are larger than the 750's).

Just an idea.

Jim

Jim,

Matt

I think the 90% approach mentioned above is reasonable. You are correct about the warranty period starting (it actually starts when the product is shipped from K) before their is an actual need for the drive. Better to wait until you need the storage. It usually only takes a few days, perhaps up to a week, to get a new drive shipped, so waiting shouldn't be an issue.

Jim

Back