• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: 4K UHD HDR from Universal Added.

JohnJ

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
We have initial titles from NBCUniversal showing up in 4K UHD HDR!!

John

And UV redeemed 4K movies are available for download in My Library!
But no upgrade offer for the time being. Will there be one or we'll have to buy again?

Yup, 28 HDR titles....more to come.....

Jim

From K by email this morning:

We are delighted to announce that NBCUniversal’s 4K HDR movies are now available to Kaleidescape’s customers. These movies are rendered in the finest audio and video quality available for home cinema, and they can be played on any Kaleidescape Strato or Strato C movie player.

We have licensed NBCUniversal’s catalog of 4K HDR movies, including family favorites such as The Secret Life of Pets, the latest entry from the Fast & Furious action series: The Fate of the Furious, and the complete Bourne franchise. The 28 4K HDR titles currently available from NBCUniversal are listed below.

Eleven of these movies are already on our Movie Store: Everest, Lucy, The Secret Life of Pets, Sing, Warcraft, Fate of the Furious, and all the Bourne titles. We will add the remaining titles as we complete the processing and quality assurance for each film.

We’re very proud to offer this pristine content from NBCUniversal, and we look forward to receiving more of their 4K titles in the future

Battleship
The Girl on the Train
The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum
The Bourne Legacy
Jason Bourne
The Huntsman: Winter's War
The Great WallSnow White and The Huntsman
King Kong
Lone Survivor
Despicable Me
Lucy
Despicable Me 2
The Mummy (1999)
The Mummy Returns
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Furious 7
Fast & Furious 6
The Fate of the Furious
Everest
Oblivion
The Fate of the Furious
Sing
The Secret Life of Pets
Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades Darker
Warcraft

Jim

Great job K! Hope they offer upgrades as I'm not going to repurchase my HD quality at this point. SJ

Great job K! Hope they offer upgrades as I'm not going to repurchase my HD quality at this point. SJ

Crap - thought it was just a glitch (hope so :)).

Think I'll hold back on these until hopefully they provide an upgrade path oh and Immersive audio (sure it will come, as with other titles)

Great additions though, keep up the good work, will need to invest in a Terra Server, quickly at this rate. :D

I am thrilled to see another studio offering 4K/HDR versions of their titles and applaud Kaleidescape for their success in securing the rights to these. The prices are actually quite reasonable. However, I agree that the lack of an upgrade path is a stumbling block. I realize this is studio mandated, but all involved should realize that they will sell more if they accommodate those who have already supported both the studio and K. by previously buying the HD version.

Take Warner for example - I have upgraded almost every 4K/HDR title that they offer as it usually works out to be just a little more than if I had purchased the 4K/HDR version to start with. For those studios that do not offer an upgrade path I do not plan to spend more than double just to upgrade to 4K/HDR. Likely I will not consider buying the HD version if the 4K/HDR version will be available later.

While I am pleased to see progress, there is still a ways to go. I don't know how or if K. can promote an upgrade path as an essential part of their offerings, but IMHO they need to figure this out.

Respectfully,

Wayne

Last edited:
FINALLY WARCRAFT IN 4K!!!!!

But seriously- this makes me really happy- I am looking forward to purchasing a 4K system once the switch to integrate it with the Premiere system is released- this is great news!

I saw F8 Fate of the Furious is only available in 4K- will that change? I would like to buy it in HD now.

Hello all! Let me answer a couple of questions:

Yes, The Fate of the Furious is coming in Blu-ray quality HD very soon. The 4K version was ready first and we knew there was a lot of interest so we included it with the rollout titles.

Feedback received & understood regarding upgrade pricing. Right now, we don't have upgrade pricing available for these titles, and I don't know if that will change in the future.

We are working on adding Atmos audio to more titles. As you've observed, Lucy has it already, so we've got the process working and it's a matter of getting the assets and slotting them into the encoding and QA process. I can't estimate a time at this point, but we are absolutely working on getting it whenever possible.

Thanks Mike appreciate the feedback. Will ponder on some of the titles - those I have I'll wait out and see if an upgrade path is offered.

Great to hear, Mike. I am sure we are all looking forward to future improvements and enhancements as you have outlined. Keep up the excellent work.

Wayne

Adding another studio providing 4K titles is awesome, however I would never purchase any title without a Dolby Atmos / DTS:X audio track, if provided on the 4K Blu-ray. Hopefully the DTS:X track is added to The Fate of the Furious 4K before the Blu-ray is released. I will purchase it as soon as it is offered. Having Kong HDR with Dolby Atmos available early was fantastic; purchased it that day. I am sure your goal is to provide all 4K titles with immersive sound, when available, from all remaining studios especially Paramount, Lionsgate, Fox, and finally Disney when they start releasing titles. Terry

Does anyone know, on Fate of the Furious, both the theatrical and extended versions are listed in the store - do you get both versions with the purchase of one. If not, has anyone viewed the extended version yet?

Gotta love this forum, and Mike's participation. Was trying to buy F8 Blu-Ray and seemed like it was only HDR, which seemed odd. Came here to see if there was a discussion on it, and yeppers, there was.

Just wondering. If you purchase the 4K movie on the store can you downgrade to say a blueray version until I buy the encore line? I have noticed you can do it with blueray down to DVD.

Thanks

Just wondering. If you purchase the 4K movie on the store can you downgrade to say a blueray version until I buy the encore line? I have noticed you can do it with blueray down to DVD.

Thanks

Yes. In my experience you can download the blu-ray quality version as well as the 4K (when you are ready). One question, however, is if the store, which detects what your server/player is capable of, will let you purchase the 4K (HDR or UHD) version if your current system cannot play it.

Anyone else please feel free to clarify.

Wayne

Yes. In my experience you can download the blu-ray quality version as well as the 4K (when you are ready). One question, however, is if the store, which detects what your server/player is capable of, will let you purchase the 4K (HDR or UHD) version if your current system cannot play it.

Anyone else please feel free to clarify.

Wayne

Yes, the store will allow you to purchase UHD versions w/o a Strato and download the HD version. I have done this on a couple of titles.

John

Does it display some variation of the "you have no compatible players" message before letting you do it, though?

Back