• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

36 port switch

House72

Hello All

I am looking to see if there is any switch that is available that has 36 ports are more and also comes with ports in the back and not front. I am planning this year to clean up my rack and organize wiring.

All the non managed switches seems to come with ports in the front.

Cheers

Raj

If you don't find one, consider attaching the switch to the rear of your rack so all connections are unseen from the front of the rack. You can use a rack "blank" to cover the opening on the front for a clean rack front.

Jim

LOL. That is expensive. If that is the cost I would rather buy a regular switch and use Jim's idea. I also don't want a managed switch. I am a poor accountant who is not inclined to learn too much networking skills for this.

Cheers

Raj

FYI, You can usually just set the managed switch to Open Mode, this allows it to function just like an unmanaged switch. Basically it just sets all the ports to the same VLAN. (In other words, you can make a managed switch function like an unmanaged switch.)

Jim

There are very few rack mount switches that have the ports on the back. Pakedge is the only one that I am aware of. You best bet will be to do what Jim said and mount the switch on the rear rails and put a blank plate on the front.

Also, it’s very hard to find a switch with more than 24 ports that is unmanaged. The only one that I am aware of is the Netgear GS348. Do you need POE? If so, that’s an even more difficult combination to find.

Personally, I use a 48 port Unifi switch. I appreciate having the ability to separate traffic with VLANs. I can understand the desire to just get an unmanaged switch, though.

Do you have any SONOS devices? If so, that’s another reason to stick with an unmanaged switch. SONOS uses an ancient version of STP that is incompatible with the default settings of most managed switches.

Thanks. I don't need POE and no SONOS either. I use Roon Nucleus and Bleusound node's for end point. I will end up doing what Jim recommended. Thanks again.

Cheers

Didn't think to check Luxul.....that brand is regularly offered by one of our distributors, but I've never used it. I do know other CI guys that like the brand a lot, so sounds like a reasonable choice.

Jim

Didn't think to check Luxul.....that brand is regularly offered by one of our distributors, but I've never used it. I do know other CI guys that like the brand a lot, so sounds like a reasonable choice.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I would have liked prime on this to know the seller is legitimate. I at least now know you have heard about it. I will end up ordering in February around the same time my new rack will also be available.

Cheers

Raj

The other benefit to attaching a regular switch to the rear rails is that it's easier to deal with the connections than if you have to reach into the rack (depending on how deep your rack is). 36 ports is a lot of ports.

IMG_8006.jpeg

That’s what we had put into the system Luxul AMS 2624p. It’s currently in the rack with other a/v components and I doubt we use it anywhere near its specialty.....we don’t use any of the Poe....but the installer had good experience with them and it seems to have worked well

Back