• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

2TB or larger anytime soon?

You might want to link that. All the links I could find turned out to be 3.5" drives when I pulled them up. I would love to be mistaken but I don't think they are shipping right now.

You are right. It was always 3.5" with mentions to 2.5" technology. The best I found is that Western Digital and Fujitsu are looking to release 2.5" 750gb drives by mid-2009 and 1tb some time in 2010. From what I can understand, K needs about 6 months about a new size to come up with their own cartridges so mini-system would not have 750gb mini-disks until at least early 2010. Is that a correct assumption?

Sorry about the confusion.

Any news when K will start offering is 1.5TB or 2TB disks? I also need a 2nd 3U server and I am waiting for them.

I spoke with my Kaleidescape sales rep this AM and asked about 1.5 - 2 TB disk drives coming out anytime soon, between now and CEDIA, and I was told not anytime soon.

I was told that Kaleidescape is focusing ALL of it resources, 100%, on the Blue Laser Player and getting it out. I was also told that a lot of dealers have been asking for larger drives and Kaleidescape is well aware of the demand out there for the drives but at this time all focus is on the Blue Laser player.

Side Note: I will be getting together on Friday with my sales rep from Kaleidescape and I will ask if there wil be a Blue Laser prototype/demo at CEDIA.

Sorry to put the Kaibosh on the larger disk drives.

To add to this, and to be clear, James is NOT saying larger drives are not coming. There will be larger drives. K has been evaluating larger drives for awhile and will eventually have drives that meet their standards. Until then, we have what we have (1TB's).:)

Jim

Spoke to my rep last week and they are certainly working towards larger drives...one of the drawbacks to the Blu Ray implementation is that they will hold far fewer titles than we are currently used to...they will hold anywhere between 20 and 30 titles per current 1TB hard drive...which is too few for consumers to drop this kind of money...so they are working on this to be sure...makes sense. Anyone heard anything along the same lines?

Spoke to my rep last week and they are certainly working towards larger drives...one of the drawbacks to the Blu Ray implementation is that they will hold far fewer titles than we are currently used to...they will hold anywhere between 20 and 30 titles per current 1TB hard drive...which is too few for consumers to drop this kind of money...so they are working on this to be sure...makes sense. Anyone heard anything along the same lines?

I have a hard time believing that would be a major issue. After all, when Kaleidescape first shipped they came with 250gb drives and they could only get ~36 DVDs per drive and they still were able to get systems out there.

Also remember that the drives are only going to get bigger and blu rays are generally going to stay the same size, much like we have seen with DVDs and progressively more and more storage per rack unit of space. With 2TB drives, a 3U server will hold more blu-ray titles per rack unit than we ever got in DVDs from the old 5U servers.

I agree with you but one thing to consider is while that was true of back then, we now are more accustomed to having more titles at our fingertips. I also think not everyone will replace every DVD on their systems with BRs- so I think there will be a mix on peoples' systems.

I'm going to assume that 'K' didn't announce larger drives at CEDIA and just focused on the Mini system????

Good assumption.:)

Jim

Hi Folks

Great forum, lots of very informed people here! Im stuck between choosing a 1U or older 5U server and wonder if anyone can tell me if the 1U and 3U servers both will be capable of using the new 2Tb hdd's as and when they arrive? I am right in saying the 5U max's out at 750Gb hdd's? Also are the 2Tb hdds likely to be set at the current 1Tb hdd price which is $?

Kind Regards

Panamar

Welcome!

The 1U and 3U currently share the same disk sizes, so yes, any new disk would work in both.

Yes, the 750gb is the largest disk for the 5U, and that will not change.

Don't know about pricing yet (the 2TB has not even been officially confirmed), but K did lower pricing on storage disks last year, causing some speculation (and that's all it was) that K was preparing to release larger drives that "might" have a slightly higher cost. Of course, that did not happen.

I may be wrong, but my view is that the price reduction was the result of reduced storage costs from K's manufacturer, or K's desire to adjust their pricing structure.

Jim

What's the likelihood of the 500GB mini-disc being superseded by a 750/1000GB mini-disc any time soon?

Last edited:
What's the likelihood of the 500GB mini-disc being superseded by a 750/1000GB mini-disc any time soon?

That's not a subject I've heard discussed at K (which doesn't mean a thing, as I have no special insight, and no one at K discusses anything unless specifically permitted to do so).

I guess it's always a possibilty until someone at K says otherwise.:)

Jim

So it's possible technically (in the future), as opposed to technically impossible (like 750GB/disc is the max size that can ever go into the 5U server). So it might be something mini-system users could look forward to in the future, but no K-promises.

Sounds like a fair statement.:)

Jim

Back