• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

2TB or larger anytime soon?

Jmca1

Given the rapid drop of price and rapid increase in size of hard drives, is there any hint from 'K' as to if or when 2 TB drives or larger will be available for 1 and 3 U servers? I think a few of us 1U owners would jump all over that!

No official word. I'm hoping we see 1.5Tb or 2Tb drives soon. Pretty sure we won't see larger than 2.

I figured 2Tb would be the outer edge. Even 1.5 would be okay with me. That would double the space of my 1u!

Trade-In Upgrades

Hi,

Did Kaleidescape offer any trade-in program from the 750 GB drives, when the 1 TB came out?

Thanks, Steven

no, they've never done a disk cartridge trade-in. Nice thought, however!

They DO tend to offer the larger drives for the same price as the older/smaller ones, if that's a consolation.

I would like to hold off buying a second 3U server until after larger cartridges become available. I hope that 1.5 T cartridges or larger will be out within the year. What are the chances?

I would like to hold off buying a second 3U server until after larger cartridges become available. I hope that 1.5 T cartridges or larger will be out within the year. What are the chances?

I think the odds are very good that we will see larger drives (1.5 or 2 TB) before the end of this year, and maybe much sooner.:)

Jim

One thing to remember is when you put in larger drives than you already have, you will need to add 2 of the larger drives otherwise the system cannot perform its RAID function properly with the extra space from the new drive. Soo, if you added one 1tb drive to a 750 system- that new drive would function as a 750 drive. If you added two 1tb drives, it can do a new RAID between those 2 drives and the system will recognize and use the extra 250gb of space on those drives.

The "hot spare" also needs to be the size of your largest drive, for obvious reasons.

Jim

I have certainly experienced that limitation, having added terabyte discs to fill my 3U server having used 750 mb discs for all of the other positions. That is why I would like to start the next server at a uniformly higher level.

My 3U is full to the brim... I have been told that I have to change out all 12 HDDs simultaneously.. is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
My 3U is full to the brim... I have been told that I have to change out all 12 HDDs simultaneously.. is that right?

Consider this scenario: K makes 2TB drives available, the 1TB drives are no longer available, and you subsequently have a drive failure. Does it make sense that K would require you to replace EVERY drive in your system?:eek:

Having said that, it is not normally considered a good practice to intentionally fail a drive to force a rebuild (which is what you'd be doing to change drives). Although it can/is done, you always risk data during a rebuild (very low risk, but still a risk).

Jim

(P.S. Sorry for the apparent "Edit" message in your post, I accidently hit the "Edit" button on my mod screen. Nothing was changed in your post.)

Consider this scenario: K makes 2TB drives available, the 1TB drives are no longer available, and you subsequently have a drive failure. Does it make sense that K would require you to replace EVERY drive in your system?:eek:

Having said that, it is not normally considered a good practice to intentionally fail a drive to force a rebuild (which is what you'd be doing to change drives). Although it can/is done, you always risk data during a rebuild (very low risk, but still a risk).

Jim
No, you would just stick a single (two if you've already burned the hot spare) drive in there and it will only use the first terrabyte of storage until more drives are replaced. I'm guessing it was suggested he go through a dealer initiated server-to-server data transfer to avoid the long and semi-dangerous force fail & rebuild method. On the other hand, with a second commercial vendor hitting the shelves with 2T drives increasing the likelhood of new hardware this year, and that you are only looking at a 1/3 increase for your trouble, at what point is just starting a new 3U with a few 1T-drives in it a better alternative?

I think thats right. I would see about getting a 2nd 2TB drive in such a case if I had the room for it and that would become the hot swap drive in the system and then I would get the full 2TB benefit of the replacement.

I think if you were thinking about swapping a full set of 1TB drives for 2TB drives the thing to do would be to have your dealer come out, pack up all the drives, send them to K, have them replicated on to the 2TB drives and then have K send you back a full set of 2TB drives with your movies on them. This way youll know it was done right. The other thing to consider is adding a new 3U server. Perhaps your dealer would make a deal with you. You never know.

You could just put a set of 8 of the 2TB drives in another 3U server and copy over your entire contents to that server then remplace your 14 1GB drives with the 8 2TB drives and have 6 drive slots open. All it would take is a 3U server on loan for a couple days.

1TB Mini Disk Cartridges?

I read in this thread that regular disk cartridges could soon be available in the 1.5TB size. Has anyone heard anything about mini system cartridges increasing in since from 500GB to say 1TB?

Back