• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

yet another server fail

talitha

Well our third Kserver 5000 has bit the dust. Same issue as before, a blue power light and thats it. No disc lights, nor serial chatter.
KS of course say the only recourse is yet another replacement as no one on planet earth can repair these things. As an electronic engineer it does seem a little vexing that a likely blown transistor somewhere is going to cost me many thousands.
I wonder if its time to get out from under the yolk of KS and try something else.. is there anything that can compete? Kodi isn't reliable enough.
Plus I have 36TB of movies that would appear to be lost forever.
Vexing

Kaleidescape made the K5000 (3U server) between 2007 and 2018. So your 3U server is between five and sixteen years old ... pretty old for a computer.

If it won't power on, it may need a new power supply. They are available from Sparkle Power, part # FSP700PSASK-KS, order from kristinnguyen@sparklepower.com.

Alternatively, you can buy a remanufactured 3U chassis from Kaleidescape, with 2-year warranty. Just transfer your drives to the new chassis.

Or you can buy a new K1550-0950 (1U+ server, 36TB usable, 3-year warranty). If you send in your old drives at time of purchase, Kaleidescape will transfer available content to the new server.

Kaleidescape Support can help you through this.

Thanks Tayloe.. I think the power supply route is a good option. KS only offered the K1550-0950 as a fix.. and we are on our third rejiggered 3U chassis.. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the recommendation

That's interesting. I did not know they offered 3U remanufactured server chassis. How much do they go for?

That's interesting. I did not know they offered 3U remanufactured server chassis. How much do they go for?

They are periodically available, but when I checked for a client a few weeks ago there were none available. They are also no longer on the dealer price lists, when they were listed, the empty 5000 (3U) -R Server was $5,995. There may be some available now, not sure.

Jim

Well our third Kserver 5000 has bit the dust. Same issue as before, a blue power light and thats it. No disc lights, nor serial chatter.
KS of course say the only recourse is yet another replacement as no one on planet earth can repair these things. As an electronic engineer it does seem a little vexing that a likely blown transistor somewhere is going to cost me many thousands.
I wonder if its time to get out from under the yolk of KS and try something else.. is there anything that can compete? Kodi isn't reliable enough.
Plus I have 36TB of movies that would appear to be lost forever.
Vexing
Check my last several posts on this link. Some repairs are possible on the 3U server with your own caution and risk. So far, I had RAM and PSU fail on me. I also replaced a couple of blown capacitors on the motherboard.

Overall, the Premiere line up is more repairable than the Terra servers. They are all off the shelf parts with minor modifications except one or two other parts. Repairing consumer electronics is a dying art. It is labor intensive and labor is expensive. I considered offering some repair help to fellow forum members as a hobby/weekend projects but then the liability and other unforeseen troubles scared me. Nevertheless, feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Or you can buy a new K1550-0950 (1U+ server, 36TB usable, 3-year warranty). If you send in your old drives at time of purchase, Kaleidescape will transfer available content to the new server.
If a fully-maxed 3U can hold 72T but a 1U+ can only due 36T, so it would take twice as many servers to maintain capacity. Based on the other thread, won't this cause us to run into server-count performance issues faster (or is the moral to just suck it up because at least they still run?)

In the past, I've had RAM failure be the only issue.
Replaced it and the server functioned properly.

Back