• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

where do you buy your content?

Yetis

Hello,

Just wondering if I am missing something. To date, I buy 90% of my bluray and DVD content on Amazon. Any reason to try something else? I appreciate the convienence of the K store, but don't need instant gratification for all movies. So, where do you buy your content?

Thank you

Hello,

Just wondering if I am missing something. To date, I buy 90% of my bluray and DVD content on Amazon. Any reason to try something else? I appreciate the convienence of the K store, but don't need instant gratification for all movies. So, where do you buy your content?

Thank you

I'm happy to pay the K-store more for a title if the opportunity exists, and it has nothing to do with speed of gratification. No getting past the point that each movie (B_R) costs roughly double when you calculate the cost of a space in a vault. That's why many of us will pay a small amount for the K-store version of a movie we already own in order to free up a vault spot.

But with most studios not participating in the K-store, there's no way around it and I also shop Amazon for all movies that I buy in hard copy. Fairly priced, shipped free with Prime and an excellent ability to pre-order content.

I'm beginning to lose hope that more studios will sell content via the K-store. The business case seems to have been clearly made and rejected by most of them.

Last edited:
On titles not available from the store, I normally purchase from Amazon. However, in the last few months, Best Buy has become very price competitive and at times is even cheaper than Amazon.

John

If the title I want is in the store, I buy it there, otherwise Amazon for 95% of other purchases. The only exception to buying in the store is for titles that have a 3D version, I buy those from Amazon, because the 3D is not available in the k Store.

JIm

I will always buy first from Kaleidescape, if available. The purchase process works extremely well for me and is definitely my preferred experience among all the avenues available to me on the web. Thats the good news Kaleidescape folks......well done!

However, if i look at the reality of my purchasing behaviour via my credit card bill Kaleidescape is the least beneficiary of my monthly spend. By far the greatest winner is Amazon by a factor of ten to one. Followed by iTunes, then Netflix which to be honest are probably going to eventually be a greater portion of my monthly commitment because of behavioural changes prompted by the restricted Kaleidescape movie availability.

You see I live in the colonies (Canada) and so far we are only entitled to the Warner catalog. As great as that is, after I added about 100 movies in the first week of availability I ran out of steam. We are lucky if we get one movie a month out of the current movie stream. I have generally been prone to buying movies rather that renting or streaming but my wife does not share my patience waiting for Kaleidescape improve its performance on signing up new studios. Also she doesn't complain about the quality of 'streaming experience' so rather than buying House of Cards we streamed it without complaint. The tendency now is to ask if product is available on iTunes or Netflix first. Granted, I will take significant new releases and preorder from Amazon for movies destined for the 14 ft screen but the lessor rated material likely to be shown on smaller screens goes to Apple and Netflix. Oh I almost forgot cable and satellite (I have both)provide occasional relief for on demand material. This is a fair amount of revenue going everywhere but Kaleidescape. As noted at the outset my preference has always been to try Kaleidescape first.

So here is a customer, Kaleidescape, that you don't have to fight for on any level. Its sad to see a business in this position. I realize I may not be terribly sympathetic to the challenges Kaleidescape has in signing up new studios but I can assure everyone that Apple, Netflix etc. has even less. If this status doesn't change you will lose this customer, not out of dissatisfaction with the Kaleidescape experience but with passionate demand that can ONLY be met elsewhere.

It isn't that Kaleidescape is doing anything wrong it is that they are NOT doing enough right. This note is probably a poorly crafted attempt to urge the company to get off its a$$ and start addressing its most obvious shortfall.............

Start signing up studios!!!!!!!

Peter

I purchase a great deal of my movies still from amazon simply because of the kids. I can preorder Disney/Pixar movies, often while they're still in the theater, to be delivered to my door the first day they're released. Plus I get a DVD hard copy for the car and a digital copy for the various apple iPads and phones.

Until the newer cars start offering wifi capabilities (and some are ie the new escalade) I will be limited to buying physical media. For the adult titles the store works fantastic. The only complaint I will echo here is the lack of studios. But we can hope....

I purchase a great deal of my movies still from amazon simply because of the kids. I can preorder Disney/Pixar movies, often while they're still in the theater, to be delivered to my door the first day they're released. Plus I get a DVD hard copy for the car and a digital copy for the various apple iPads and phones.

Until the newer cars start offering wifi capabilities (and some are ie the new escalade) I will be limited to buying physical media. For the adult titles the store works fantastic. The only complaint I will echo here is the lack of studios. But we can hope....

Just realize that the movie demand in the car will most likely change quickly. My boys are 9 and 12 and pretty much NEVER ask for movies for the car anymore. Heck, I don't think they have in a couple years now. It's all about Minecraft and other games these days for them. Or they actually do *read*. And my youngest does have some motion sickness issues with car trips, so he can only tolerate so much movie or video game time or reading. But he's perfectly fine with audio books, so that's what he ends up doing quite a bit.

I used to think a movie player solution in the car was the end-all of entertainment, but now we don't buy vehicles with any kind of entertainment.

As for what I buy, I actually buy a lot less these days. Movie quality is way down, and often the "high quality" stuff just doesn't appeal to me as something to watch over and over. So renting Dallas Buyers Club, for instance, makes a lot more sense to me. It's a great movie, and I don't think I care to ever see it again. That said, I'm planning to watch all of Breaking Bad a second and maybe more times. It's strange to me that TV shows have that kind of quality, but it's there in some cases. But it's not considered as interesting, and therefore available via subscription streaming, which I'm also fine with.

So as a Kscape owner, I find myself buying VERY few movies in any format. It's most interesting to me to have K get more studios so I can get more *classics* on my system in higher resolution and without taking up vault space, but not as interesting for new content. Call me crazy on that. *shrug*

But I'm *really* much less likely to click the Buy button on the K store if there's no digital copy, too, when it comes to classics. I want to own content I can take with me on an airplane when I'm not connected with an iPad. So when that doesn't exist, I look for ways I can make that happen.

We're basically screwed with an amazing amount of fragmentation in this marketplace. Such a shame.

--Donnie

My spawn are still younger...9,7,5 so I've listened to more Disney movies than I've seen! The two older ones have the iPad but the younger one likes to watch movies. We take lots of long trips around the northeast and down to Florida for horse shows so I think the tv in the car will stay around for a while longer for me. Sometimes they ask for my phone to watch Netflix on the go. Would be great to stream it to the overhead TVs.

Definitely amazon. As mentioned sometimes best buy has deals, but usually amazon is best.

If k carried more of the things we wanted to buy, perhaps that would be the first stop, but for now it's at the bottom of the list.

As a heads-up: Best Buy has True Blood Season One on sale for $7.99. This is the lowest I have ever seen this.

John

Edit: Looks like this has now been sold out and is no longer available.

Last edited:
Amazon for me too, I like to 'own' the content and for pricing and choice I am sorry to say the K store very very rarely makes the list due to high prices and limited choice

As a heads-up: Best Buy has True Blood Season One on sale for $7.99. This is the lowest I have ever seen this.

John

Edit: Looks like this has now been sold out and is no longer available.

Perhaps we should have a running " movie deals" thread?

Definitely amazon. As mentioned sometimes best buy has deals, but usually amazon is best.

If k carried more of the things we wanted to buy, perhaps that would be the first stop, but for now it's at the bottom of the list.

As my post above indicated, I was pretty much resigned to the store not having much content a mere month ago. I feel MUCH more optimistic now that the suit is settled.

Back