• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What support when warranty expires?

SimonSays

I scrolled through the recent threads, but I haven't found a thread dedicated to what kind of support a customer can get from K once the warranty period has expired.
The used market still commands big prices when it comes to used K equipment, but what happens when there is an issue AFTER the warranty period?

For example, is it possible to get a replacement HDD for Alto, Strato or Strato S? Or even a Terra that's out of warranty?
I'm OK paying for a HDD should it go out, even if it's $1,000, if that means I can keep my old Alto or Strato systems going.
On a technical level, it should be doable, question is, how long (if any) does K support out of warranty equipment?

I believe there's also a trade-in program for defective equipment, but not sure what the details are there.

Simon

There is no dedicated thread on this subject, the policies can change, but currently Kaleidescape does NOT provide replacement parts support for out-of-warranty products. They do still allow the Support section at K to answer operational questions, i.e. connection or setup help, and for diagnosing a problem if they can see the system online, and they'll do this for both in-warranty and out of warranty systems.

There is no HDD replacement support for out of warranty Alto, Strato, Strato-S, or any of the compact Terra servers. I've been told this is because the HDD's in those products are not field replaceable. The HDD's in full sized Terra's (24TB, 40TB, 48TB, 72TB, and 88TB) are field replaceable, and if the drive size in the relevant server is available, support can authorize the replacement, so replacement support is available for those models (assuming the drive size is available). There "may" be some wiggle room on some of this, but only Support can confirm current policies.

Currently, for those that have OOW products that have failed drives that are not field replaceable, K offers Store credits in various amounts depending on what product the owner is upgrading to, but this is subject to some conditions, and the policies involved are subject to change.

Support for Premiere products will eventually end, it's becoming increasingly more difficult and costly to continue support for these products. That said, K will obviously support all in-warranty Premiere products, especially given they still offer some new Premiere products for, including the updated 1U+ servers.

You're not alone in wanting the option to purchase a replacement HDD for the OOW products noted above, but that is not currently an option.

Jim

I'd even consider a warranty extension (payable). Seems like a good revenue stream, seeing the actual hardware isn't very expensive for K to buy, and a lot of the devices run fine for 10+ years...

Based on feedback from my clients and friends, that's a comment I hear a lot. Perhaps the policy will change at some point, we'll see.

Jim

Back