• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What server size to buy?

I’ll be buying a Kaleidescape before the end of this year. As I try to decide which size to start with, there are two obvious thoughts that come to mind:

(1) Go with the cheapest - the 6TB; after all, I can always delete local content and download new purchases in minutes. How bad could that be?

vs.

(2) Get the biggest one I can afford. There MUST be some real, not-so-evident annoyance with that delete-and-download process, because several somebodies are buying those UNBELIEVABLY expensive larger size servers.

So the question is: why DO people buy the larger sizes? Is the delete-and-download process that annoying?

I was in your shoes. I was going to buy the 6TB. My dealer tried super hard to get me to go bigger. So I decided I could swing the 12TB. He keep pushing that I should go no smaller than a 22TB. I finally gave in, but thought it was over kill. It’s now been 3-4 months.

I now wish I would have gone larger :)

Same here. I got the 18TB when that was an option. Before I know it i am wishing I went bigger.

It’s not the question of if you can delete / re download manage. The system gives you such an experience that you just want it there to just play.

Good luck. Either way you will get an awesome experience with Kscape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally went with your option 1, thinking the same thing that it wouldn’t be hard to delete and download content. Honestly, it’s not that big of a deal with the 10-12 minute downloads cycling through content, but I do regret not getting a larger Terra to start with.

The big thing for me is that you can’t see your non-downloaded movies on the movie wall in the Strato GUI and with all the sales and D2D offers, space on your Terra will fill up fast. I also enjoy watching scenes from different movies and waiting 10 minutes for the movie to download to just watch a scene can be hassle 😀

Looking ahead, if one were to buy one of the larger, full-size Terra servers, I understand that failed HDDs within them can be user-replaced in the field with an authorized replacement HDD obtained directly from Kaleidescape. After the warranty ends, could one then PURCHASE such a replacement HDD from Kaleidescape, so that the server can soldier on? Or is HDD replacement only an option during the warranty period, forcing one to buy a whole replacement server if it fails outside of the warranty?

Looking ahead, if one were to buy one of the larger, full-size Terra servers, I understand that failed HDDs within them can be user-replaced in the field with an authorized replacement HDD obtained directly from Kaleidescape. After the warranty ends, could one then PURCHASE such a replacement HDD from Kaleidescape, so that the server can soldier on? Or is HDD replacement only an option during the warranty period, forcing one to buy a whole replacement server if it fails outside of the warranty?
Keep in mind Terra C HDD cannot be field replaced and cannot be serviced. A failure in warranty is a complete unit swap out. A failure outside of warranty would just warrant a discount perfectage off a new product- assuming they still offer that assistance in the future.

You can definitely replace a failed HDD outside the warranty period (for the price of a replacement HDD).

Andy

Thank you all for your replies. Does anyone who has done such a HDD replacement (outside of warranty coverage) feel comfortable sharing what the cost was for that replacement HDD from Kaleidescape?

Thank you all for your replies. Does anyone who has done such a HDD replacement (outside of warranty coverage) feel comfortable sharing what the cost was for that replacement HDD from Kaleidescape?

Kaleidescape currently only offers 6TB drives for sale as add-ons, or replacements (add-ons meaning used to increase storage in a 1U or 3U Premiere server). There are two versions available. The 6TB, as a replacement for a failed drive in an out-of-warranty Terra server, at a retail price of $895, and the 6TB add-on, or replacement, for the 1U/3U at a retail price of $795. Your dealer can order these from Kaleidescape.

If you don't have a dealer and need additional info you can send me a PM, or email me. I can also connect you to a dealer in your area if that helps.

Jim
cinelifellc@gmail.com

You can definitely replace a failed HDD outside the warranty period (for the price of a replacement HDD).

Andy

I was under the impression that the Terra Compact could not be field replaced similar to how Strato with HDDs also cannot be replaced. They sell you a replacement unit.

I was under the impression that the Terra Compact could not be field replaced similar to how Strato with HDDs also cannot be replaced. They sell you a replacement unit.
That's what I was told for mine but I have the compact version and I assume that is SDD.

i would go with option 2.

I bought a Terra 24TB and thought it would newer be full. After 10 months it was full and the download list getting longer and longer.
Now 8 months later the 88TB ordered.

The delete / download process is really easy. Not annoying at all. Every time I whatched a movie I deleted it and next movie was prepared in the que. It’s just that it’s so convenient to choose a movie and it plays instantly.

If it only takes 10 minutes for the movie to download. It’s still 10 minutes to long.

If it only takes 10 minutes for the movie to download. It’s still 10 minutes to long.

I agree and think that is really the true value of a K system. I used to collect discs and one of the primary reasons for switching to Kaleidescape was to access my entire library instantly, even just to watch a particular scene. Some nights I just jump around, scene-to-scene, of movies I haven’t seen in a long time.

I found with a very large disc library, I would rarely watch them. Too cumbersome to get up, switch discs, wait for it to load, skip previews, etc.. but all of that still takes less time then waiting for a 10min download. Obviously, it all depends on how large you want your library to be and budget. Just adding two cents for anyone on the fence between going for a larger Terra.. I think it’s worth it!

Ah, so the 88TB Terra - which must have four 22TB HDDs - cannot have it's HDDs replaced then
No, that's not the case. We don't have Terra hard drives on the external price list because unlike Premiere drives (which can be ordered to expand storage in an existing server, e.g. by filling an empty slot), Terra drives can only be ordered to replace a failed drive. So, that's done through our support team.

In any event, it's a moot point right now, because all Terra 88TB servers are still under warranty unless someone has done something to void the warranty.

If you have the rack/component shelf space I'd start with a 22TB and then scale up gradually. That way you can potentially grow the system as your library increases. I never liked the download and delete method as it is an annoyance IMO. Started here with a 22TB and just recently scaled up to a 2nd one as library started to get close to maxed out. In that case bought the combo Compact Terra/Strato C with the bundled discount to lower the burden on the wallet.

I’ll be buying a Kaleidescape before the end of this year. As I try to decide which size to start with, there are two obvious thoughts that come to mind:

(1) Go with the cheapest - the 6TB; after all, I can always delete local content and download new purchases in minutes. How bad could that be?

vs.

(2) Get the biggest one I can afford. There MUST be some real, not-so-evident annoyance with that delete-and-download process, because several somebodies are buying those UNBELIEVABLY expensive larger size servers.

So the question is: why DO people buy the larger sizes? Is the delete-and-download process that annoying?
I think there's an angle that hasn't been mentioned. Get the largest chassis you are comfortable buying now, secure in the knowledge that you can aggregate them. So if you start with a 6TB, and then next year you get a 22TB, then you'd have 28TB! And so on and so on. Maybe @MikeKobb can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we can combine five servers on a single networked system?

I did it a year ago. Jumped in as soon as I was able and grabbed the 6tb. It was amazing adding the piece to my theatre, but it was full in less than a month and I regretted not going bigger. Easier to just do it right the first time if you're able.

Back