• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

What is K's backup plan for Alto or Strato System Crashes

audioguy123

While this situation occurred on my Alto, the same questions would arise on a Strato.

When I originally got my Alto, I used it to catalog every movie we had as I had previously used a system for doing such (about 700 or 800 if I recall) but only loaded about 120 on the Alto and another 100 or so on the DV700.

When my Alto crashed, it was sent to K for repair but ultimately required full replacement. And because they had much higher download speeds than I did they agreed to re-download all of my movies which I appreciated. This occurred several months ago.

But what I unfortunately discovered last night when I gave my iPad to my granddaughter to search for a movie, is that NONE of the 700 "cataloged-but not stored" movies are on my system.

I sure hope K has backup for what was cataloged on my system otherwise we are talking about MANY MANY hours of re-doing all of that work. My guess is they don't because when they re-downloaded my stored movies, they had to ask me what was on it?????

This, unfortunately, begs the very, very critical question for every Alto, and I assume Strato, users. What is the K answer to system crashes, which while maybe very infrequent, are absolutely inevitable? What is the process for getting our cataloged movies back on our system? What is the process for getting our stored movies back on the system? Re-downloading hundreds of movies? Re-cataloging maybe 1000's of movies? Does not sound like a very reasonable plan to me.

We know K is involved in the cataloging of movies since their system looks up all of the data of the inserted disc. Do they not keep a record, by customer, of that data so that they could allow me to download the cataloged file? That would be a LOT more efficient and much less time consuming than standing by the system and feeding hundreds or thousands of discs and waiting the time for the process to complete.

Looking for some feedback on this issue.

Back