• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Warner Bros 4K HDR Content Added!

JohnJ

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
4K HDR content from Warner Bros. has been added! Very good news!

John

Last edited:
Yes Sir, here is the Dealer email:
Dear Kaleidescape Dealer,

Kaleidescape has focused for over a decade on delivering the finest cinematic experience, in the comfort of your home. That’s why we’re so excited today to announce the addition of 4K HDR Warner Bros. movies to the Kaleidescape Movie Store. Warner Bros. brings an impressive set of titles in 4K HDR, including recent DC Universe blockbusters like Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, family favorites such as The Lego Movie and Storks, critically acclaimed dramas like Sully and American Sniper, and the comedy hijinks of The Hangover and Get Hard.

Seven Warner Bros. 4K HDR titles are already available for purchase in the Movie Store: Argo, The Great Gatsby, I Am Legend, The Lego Movie, Mad Max: Fury Road, Pacific Rim, and Sully. Kaleidescape plans to add many more Warner Bros. titles to this list in the coming weeks.

These Warner Bros. titles join the over 150 4K Ultra HD and 4K HDR titles already in the Movie Store from Sony Pictures, The Orchard, K2 Communications, Moving Art, and 4KUNIVERSE.

Movie lovers choose Kaleidescape because we provide the best, most enjoyable movie experience for the home. 4K HDR content enhances that experience with the clearest, most vivid and lifelike images available today. We anticipate adding an abundance of new 4K HDR content to our movie store throughout 2017. It’s going to be a great year!

Sincerely,

The Kaleidescape Team

Jim

More than grateful to K and very happy for this new addition! But why we are not getting the full package, meaning UHD/HDR + the Dolby Atmos soundtrack(where available)? Cannot imagine watching again Sully with the DTS 5.1 soundtrack after watching the UHD BD in Dolby Atmos. I will certainly buy/upgrade to UHD/HDR all available titles in order to support the K store but I sincerely hope that I will soon be able to download the exact same version as the one on the disks that I buy from Amazon.

Kostas

I have heard that "Sully" has an Atmos soundtrack dispite what the store says. I haven't confirmed this myself.

Can anyone else confirm?

John

I have heard that "Sully" has an Atmos soundtrack dispite what the store says. I haven't confirmed this myself.

Can anyone else confirm?

John

Still showing DTS HD-MA - the disc is definitely Atmos (though haven't double dipped to see if it is now included and only the website hasn't been changed)

Hi Kostas, thanks very much for your support!

As you know, we have recently added Dolby Atmos to a number of our 4K Ultra HD and 4K HDR movies. You can always see the list here.

Without getting too deeply into the very complex world of content licensing, let me just say that it is our intention to provide Dolby Atmos (or DTS:X, etc.) whenever those formats are available to us to license for electronic delivery, and we are actively pursuing Atmos soundtracks whenever we know that they exist.

Even when we have licensed an Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack for a movie, it's not always possible for us to deliver the advanced audio formats upon first launch of a title to the Movie Store because that audio asset is sometimes not ready at the same time as the rest of the feature. When that happens, we have chosen to release the title with the best audio available to us, and update the title if and when we're able to get an updated soundtrack. While Atmos is very important to some of our customers, others don't have systems that can decode the format, and they of course want to watch movies as soon as they're released.

I hope that explains a bit of what's going on.

I am certainly pleased to see the Warner UHD titles added. Are there any plans to offer a UHD, but non-HDR version also as has been done with the Sony UHD titles? Neither my Sony 1100ES projector or Sony XBR-79X900B flat panel can do HDR but look great with 4K content. Thanks

Still trying to understand the Dolby Atmos question! Example, MAD MAX FURY ROAD has Dolby Atmos for all formats sold in a Disk format. However, the new HDR file is not listed with Dolby Atmos. Just trying to figure out if K has validated all of this vs. they are not getting the Dolby Atmos soundtrack for this title or getting it later. Just trying to not have to download large movies multiple times. Thanks and great news! SJ

Still trying to understand the Dolby Atmos question! Example, MAD MAX FURY ROAD has Dolby Atmos for all formats sold in a Disk format. However, the new HDR file is not listed with Dolby Atmos. Just trying to figure out if K has validated all of this vs. they are not getting the Dolby Atmos soundtrack for this title or getting it later. Just trying to not have to download large movies multiple times. Thanks and great news! SJ

Take another look at Post #6, above, from Mike Kobb. I had a telephone conversation with Luke O'Brien yesterday. He is Kscapes's Director, Content Operations. He gave me the same explanation as that posted by Mike Kobb. The problem seems to be that when some films are first made available to Kscape, the file from the studio does not yet have Atmos audio, although the shiny disk version did. Luke assured me that Kscape is doing everything it can to get the audio upgraded, so, fingers crossed that this is a temporary problem.

I totally understand. I just don't want to double dip on my ISP and don't mind waiting. I still wish they would just indicate this (Dolby Atmos coming soon if they know). Great that films are available if folks want to download right away and watch. For me, the Dolby Atmos soundtrack is just as important as 4K/HDR. Sometimes I believe it is even MORE important to me. SJ

That’s why we’re so excited today to announce the addition of 4K HDR Warner Bros. movies to the Kaleidescape Movie Store.

I hope the person updating the media guide enjoyed their time off over the holidays. It may be awhile before they can convince someone to unchain them from their desk again.

I totally understand. I just don't want to double dip on my ISP and don't mind waiting. I still wish they would just indicate this (Dolby Atmos coming soon if they know). Great that films are available if folks want to download right away and watch. For me, the Dolby Atmos soundtrack is just as important as 4K/HDR. Sometimes I believe it is even MORE important to me. SJ

We agree. TrueHD Atmos audio adds as much to my movie viewing experience as UHD HDR video does. Recently watched my UHD HDR copy of Mad Max: Fury Road, which I had upgraded from the HD Atmos audio version. The film looks sensational but I was sorry to have lost Atmos audio in the upgrade.

The film looks sensational but I was sorry to have lost Atmos audio in the upgrade.

You may know this already, but just for the benefit of others who may also be reading: if you previously had (in your example) the Blu-ray quality download for Mad Max: Fury Road, and you purchased the 4K HDR version, you'll now see just the 4K HDR version on your Strato's main movie places (covers, list, etc.).

But, unless you explicitly deleted your Blu-ray quality copy, it's still there. It's just that all quality versions of a movie are "rolled up" under one representative cover now. You can just open the details for Mad Max (press select) and scroll down to "Other Versions". You can see any other versions of the movie on your system, open their details, and/or play them.

If you did want to delete an old version, just open its details (by going through Other Versions to get to it), and then scroll down in that version's menu to "More Options", choose it, and then choose the option to delete.

The on-screen messaging around the deletion will tell you which version you're deleting, to help prevent mistakes.

Will non HDR UHD versions be added?

or somewhat related, if I buy a HDR version, will the Strato 'downscale' to SDR for my display?

Last edited:
We agree. TrueHD Atmos audio adds as much to my movie viewing experience as UHD HDR video does.

If I were making that statement, I would say that Atmos adds "way more to the viewing experience" than does UHD HDR. In fact, at least for now (until the studios get some standards on how the create HDR discs), the only reason I purchase a 4K version of a movie is if it is the only one that has Atmos.

You may know this already, but just for the benefit of others who may also be reading: if you previously had (in your example) the Blu-ray quality download for Mad Max: Fury Road, and you purchased the 4K HDR version, you'll now see just the 4K HDR version on your Strato's main movie places (covers, list, etc.).

But, unless you explicitly deleted your Blu-ray quality copy, it's still there. It's just that all quality versions of a movie are "rolled up" under one representative cover now. You can just open the details for Mad Max (press select) and scroll down to "Other Versions". You can see any other versions of the movie on your system, open their details, and/or play them.

If you did want to delete an old version, just open its details (by going through Other Versions to get to it), and then scroll down in that version's menu to "More Options", choose it, and then choose the option to delete.

The on-screen messaging around the deletion will tell you which version you're deleting, to help prevent mistakes.

Mike -- Thanks to your explanation,I found the HD Atmos audio version of Mad Max: Fury Road on my Strato. I had thought it was gone so was pleased and relieved to learn from your post that it is still there. I really appreciate your help.

If I were making that statement, I would say that Atmos adds "way more to the viewing experience" than does UHD HDR. In fact, at least for now (until the studios get some standards on how the create HDR discs), the only reason I purchase a 4K version of a movie is if it is the only one that has Atmos.

I have a hard time arguing with that. After I read Mike Kobb’s post and found my HD Atmos version of [i[Mad Max: Fury Road,[/i] I played some of it again. Wow! There really is no substitute for Atmos. Nevertheless, I love the UHD HDR version of the film too. Now, if I Kscape could get its soundtrack upgraded to Atmos, my cup would runneth over.

You are right that the standards for the creation of UHD HDR video still leave a lot to be desired. For example, I recently downloaded the UHD HDR version of Pacific Rim from the Kscape store because I had earlier bought the disk and got UV rights to the UHD HDR version too. The file that the studio furnished to Vudu and Kscape has woefully poor black levels, although the disk version of the film’s black levels are perfect. Go figure.

You are right that the standards for the creation of UHD HDR video still leave a lot to be desired. For example, I recently downloaded the UHD HDR version of Pacific Rim from the Kscape store because I had earlier bought the disk and got UV rights to the UHD HDR version too. The file that the studio furnished to Vudu and Kscape has woefully poor black levels, although the disk version of the film’s black levels are perfect. Go figure.

I find that incomprehensible, and inexcusable. They clearly have the file with the correct data (the shiny disc) so how hard is it to give that exact data to Vudu or Kscape or ...

If I am frustrated, I can't imagine how frustrated K must be.

I find that incomprehensible, and inexcusable. They clearly have the file with the correct data (the shiny disc) so how hard is it to give that exact data to Vudu or Kscape or ...

If I am frustrated, I can't imagine how frustrated K must be.

If that is true and I have no reason to doubt gwsat - I'm not sure the shiny disc analogy means much in the grand scheme. Might it be an issue in Kscape's workflow process, as they encode their own versions...........no????

Might be worth contacting them.

Back