• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Video settings

DmitryB

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I'm curious what kind of settings people use for their video signal. I have a Strato. Just had my JVC 3100 projector calibrated. But each time I launch a movie in Kaleidescape (HD, UHD, HDR) it displays Filmmaker Mode. My projector was not calibrated with the Filmmaker Mode. And yet, it seems to force this setting in Kaleidescape. (It does not do it on Apple TV, for example.)

So I'm looking at settings on my system. What do people use on their Video Output Behavior? The default "Minimize Display Mode Changes" or something else? (I've tried all 3 options - same results! Filmmaker Mode gets forced.)

Is there anything else I should be looking at in the Strato settings??

Is “Filmaker mode” something on your projector? I’m not aware of such a mode on K. Assuming this is the case, I wonder if the projector is detecting the incoming signal and switching to this mode based on what is detected (24fps for example). You could try switching the Strato to minimize display changes which would show most content at 60fps (to match the UI). This may trigger a non-filmaker mode, but on the other hand, I don’t know how your projector was calibrated. It’s been many years since I performed calibrations, but at the time, it was common to do each input separately (to match the source). Others on the forum certainly have more recent experience as to how it is commonly done today, but you may want to inquire with your calibrator as to how they did it on your projector. Once you know how the projector was calibrated, you may be able to modify the Strato settings to match.

Good luck,
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious what kind of settings people use for their video signal. I have a Strato. Just had my JVC 3100 projector calibrated. But each time I launch a movie in Kaleidescape (HD, UHD, HDR) it displays Filmmaker Mode. My projector was not calibrated with the Filmmaker Mode. And yet, it seems to force this setting in Kaleidescape. (It does not do it on Apple TV, for example.)

So I'm looking at settings on my system. What do people use on their Video Output Behavior? The default "Minimize Display Mode Changes" or something else? (I've tried all 3 options - same results! Filmmaker Mode gets forced.)

Is there anything else I should be looking at in the Strato settings??
This happened with my JVC Z8 (2100 in US). It's a setting that requires changing in the PJ set-up. It won't do it in Apple TV as they don't carry the relevant metadata to select that option - K obviously does. I'm not at my PJ at the moment but I'll fire it up later and point you to the setting that turns it off.

Hi

Here's the setting that needs to be changed. From the PJ menu.

View attachment 3205
Thanks Steelman! BUT - I do have that selected to Manual in the PJ setting. And still, when I start any movie in K - HD, UHD, or HDR - it shows Filmmaker Mode. See attached images. I took those when trying to start HDR of Fifth Element; but it does the same in HD content also. (It should be in Frame Adapt HDR 2, because that's the one that got calibrated and that's what I have set in Picture Mode. But it keeps showing Filmmaker Mode in those two other images. Maybe it doesn't mean anything...but it shouldn't show up like that.)

Attachments

• IMG_5558.jpg
    IMG_5558.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5559.jpg
    IMG_5559.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5560.jpg
    IMG_5560.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 22
Thanks Steelman! BUT - I do have that selected to Manual in the PJ setting. And still, when I start any movie in K - HD, UHD, or HDR - it shows Filmmaker Mode. See attached images. I took those when trying to start HDR of Fifth Element; but it does the same in HD content also. (It should be in Frame Adapt HDR 2, because that's the one that got calibrated and that's what I have set in Picture Mode. But it keeps showing Filmmaker Mode in those two other images. Maybe it doesn't mean anything...but it shouldn't show up like that.)
Yes I get the same. I think it's just an indication that FilmMaker mode is avilables should you choose you to use it. Purely for information

Your second screen shot shows what the PJ is using. It's easily checked. Switch to "auto FilmMaker mode and take another screen shot of the second screen it will change some of those settings.

Here's mine - the first two are the correct settings with FilmMaker mode set to Manual
IMG_4197.JPEG
IMG_4199.JPEG

The next 2 with FilmMaker set to "Auto"

IMG_4200.JPEG

IMG_4201.JPEG

As you can see the settings change to reflect FilmMakere mode

Here's mine - the first two are the correct settings with FilmMaker mode set to Manual
View attachment 3209
View attachment 3210

The next 2 with FilmMaker set to "Auto"

View attachment 3211

View attachment 3212

As you can see the settings change to reflect FilmMakere mode
Hmmm.... that's interesting. Seems odd that they are showing us that for information purposes instead of showing us what is actually being utilized. Creates confusion!!

Also, I am curious what your settings in K are in general. There are a few options in the Advanced Video Settings that I'm curious about. I have them set to Default, but wonder if any of them are better. For example, Video Output Behavior "Use external scaler" sounds like it's a good idea...or is it? Should I use "Prefer 4:4:4 30-bit output?" or leave it on Automatic?" These are all questions!

Hmmm.... that's interesting. Seems odd that they are showing us that for information purposes instead of showing us what is actually being utilized. Creates confusion!!

Also, I am curious what your settings in K are in general. There are a few options in the Advanced Video Settings that I'm curious about. I have them set to Default, but wonder if any of them are better. For example, Video Output Behavior "Use external scaler" sounds like it's a good idea...or is it? Should I use "Prefer 4:4:4 30-bit output?" or leave it on Automatic?" These are all questions!
Only change away from default settings for me, is to allow frame rate changes.

"use external scaler" is only a good idea if you have one. Do you have one?

Only change away from default settings for me, is to allow frame rate changes.

"use external scaler" is only a good idea if you have one. Do you have one?
LOL, I didn't realize it was an additional piece of hardware! I thought it was using something within Kaleidescape. So never mind!

Hi guys, new owner with same problem (also JVC NZ projector). I've already updated to latest JVC firmware. I'm guessing this still is an issue since you posted and the Kscape OS has been updated?

Hi guys, new owner with same problem (also JVC NZ projector). I've already updated to latest JVC firmware. I'm guessing this still is an issue since you posted and the Kscape OS has been updated?
No change - JVC continues to identify that title is available in "Filmaker" mode.

I had this issue, but that was because of changing some things on my Lumagen Pro And Strato. Switching to Manual fixed it. However, I have not updated to the latest JVC firmware as I didn’t see any need….

This started when selecting the Strato option “Report content meta data”..

Kaleidescape support says it’s metadata flag inside the content not a setting that they have. Therefore, we have to reach out to JVC to get this fixed. I’m surprised no one has reached out to JVC to add a setting to completely turn off the FILMMAKER mode on the projector

Something is wrong as this would have been reported by lots of folks. Maybe @KDeering could comment as I know he has a JVC, using the latest firmware, Strato, etc. or maybe having a Lumagen does something to remove this issue. Strange…

Back