• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Vault and addition hard disk for Alto

House72

Hello All

Any word on when one of these may be available. At current rate I may run out of space in few months and have boat load of discs that can use a vault as well.

Cheers

Raj

No, there is no stated release date. I suspect all of the recent issues that caused a delay in shipping most components has also delayed these new products, but that is speculation on my part. Hopefully it will not be much longer.

Jim

Nothing officially reported, but the plans are still in place to provide the component. If not before, then I suspect we will here more details about any upcoming components at CEDIA in a few months.

Jim

Is there any reason why one could not simply yank the 4TB drive and image it to an 8TB drive to double the storage?

I can think of two
  1. Will void warranty
  2. will not be able to partcipate on promo deals to upgrade existing owners

Does removing the cover void the warranty or is the problem simply that the unit would no longer have the stock hard drive? I am trying to determine whether you could simply drop the original drive back in later or if doing something as simple as swapping a drive leaves visible signs of tampering. I am also curious about whether there are software measures in place to prevent this kind of thing.

I think removing cover voids warranty, but not sure. Some one here knowledgable on this can comment.

Cheers

On the Premier line, the hard drives have a proprietary firmware *and* are initialized in such a way that only K can do it. I believe folks have tried and one can not simply do a bit-for-bit duplication of one drive to another (even if they are the same size!) and have the new drive work in a Premier system.

I'd bet the Alto drives are similar, even without RAID.

--Donnie

On the Premier line, the hard drives have a proprietary firmware *and* are initialized in such a way that only K can do it. I believe folks have tried and one can not simply do a bit-for-bit duplication of one drive to another (even if they are the same size!) and have the new drive work in a Premier system.

I'd bet the Alto drives are similar, even without RAID.

--Donnie

I was afraid that might be the case.

Back