• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

UV movies, but no UV rights for Kaleidescape

fleon

So, I ordered Crazy Rich Asians on Vudu. It's a UV title, and it now shows up in my UV library. However, it doesn't show up in Kaleidescape. I asked them about it, and was told that, even if it shows up in UV, Kaleidescape doesn't have the UV rights to that movie.

Isn't that the whole point of UV? To ensure that whatever you buy is available to each UV partner?

This seems to be a breach of contract. I've gone through the UV advertising promo material, and I don't see "some movies may only be available on some devices" anywhere. How is a consumer going to know which movies are available on Kaleidescape UV vs the rest of the world UV?

Just purchase on the store (vs. Vudu) and you will be guaranteed it will work. I think this is the best option for K and therefore for all of us.... SJ

Well, the Kaleidescape Store doesn’t have the UV rights-

so there is your problem.

https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/movie/crazy-rich-asians-2018

Simple rubric for purchases:
UV= Ultraviolet
MA= Movies Anywhere

- Movie is UV licensed and K store UV Licensed? Get the Vudu title or Disc code.
- Movie is only MA licensed? Buy the movie from Kaleidescape Movie Store.
- Movie is not UV or MA licensed? Buy the movie from Kaleidescape Movie Store.
- Movie is not on the Kaleidescape Movie Store? buy at least one DV700.

Some titles I have noticed don’t get UV rights until the disc release date, that is the 20th so I would check again around then

Some don't get UV rights ever and we need to purchase twice. That is an issue, but it is not under the control of Kscape

Isn't that the whole point of UV? To ensure that whatever you buy is available to each UV partner?

Only where that vendor holds UV rights to the title. In this case Kaleidescape don’t.

How is a consumer going to know which movies are available on Kaleidescape UV vs the rest of the world UV?

Titles that have UV rights in K are suitably identified in the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just purchase on the store (vs. Vudu) and you will be guaranteed it will work. I think this is the best option for K and therefore for all of us.... SJ
This. Always nice when "disc to digital" rights are included with the purchase, though. Just looked at the movie in question and nope. Not included. Pricey movie, though! Normally I'm all about buying from the K store, but for a movie like this one (which I actually have been wanting to see), I might just be in for a rental. A couple bucks at a Redbox kiosk or streaming rental versus $37 makes this decision pretty easy.

$37 for a Rom-Com is too steep for my blood. I've been able to justify high costs at times for certain films, when they're packed with 4K, Atmos/DTS:X, extras, and tons of replay value, but on this one? Prolly not.

I blame Warner Bros. on this one. Most of their newer movies on the K store seem to be similarly expensive, also lacking digital rights. Comon' WB! Get with the program! Lionsgate seems to get it with most of their stuff (even new 4K movies) being under $20.

All of the previous WB titles that I have recently purchased have UV rights:

The Meg
Ocean’s 8
Tag
Ready Player One
Rampage

I think I would wait a little bit and see if the UV rights don’t show up. I think someone said that they may not show up until the disc is released, so I would wait until after Nov. 20th to see what happens. WB has been really good in the past with UV rights. Some other studios not so much....

John

Yeah a lot of movies don’t end up getting UV rights until the disc releases

Just today Slender Man and Alpha both finally added UV and ported in 4K UHD....

Additionally some UV movies have different tokens. So even if it shows in the K store as UV it still might not crossover from the UV version bought on Vudu or that one had a code for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy Rich Asians just ported as it just went UV on the K Movie Store today...

Last edited:
And now we have the same Dilemma for Mission Impossible. It is UV elsewhere but not on the store. They need to be more forthcoming about selections that may or not be UV

Yep! Fingers crossed this one flips soon or I may end up just having to buy it twice.Not that I want to get in the habit of buying twice for impatience!

My cinema project should complete in the next 2 weeks and this was going to be my "launch title", even managed to hold off watching it at the local cinema or relenting and watching the UV copy on Apple TV 4K.

Talking of codes, does anyone know how to tell what the UV codes are or where these can be looked up? THX 1138 was one I came across and support confirmed K's UV code is different to that of the copy in my library even though the version of the film is the same (not extended or director cut etc)

And now we have the same Dilemma for Mission Impossible. It is UV elsewhere but not on the store. They need to be more forthcoming about selections that may or not be UV

This particular title is UV at other retailers, but does not port to UV as a UHD title - looks like Paramount have restricted to HD only.

MI Fallout is UV for HD in the store? I'm not in a position to check right now but that would be awesome if it is. I never thought to check the HD version, only been looking at the UHD, which sadly isn't there yet

Back