• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Using the vault in the system

125 connected to a single computer? Is that their theoretical limit or have they actually connected that many and done some testing with it? One often runs into the "unknown unknowns" of issues well before they hit the theoretical limit. For example, I would bet that loading 125 BluRay discs at the same time through a single USB2.0 connection is not as fast as one would hope. I also wonder how often a carousel drops off and reconnects under a different drive address and how many powered USB ports one would have to daisy chain and how much electrical draw they would have collectively.

While impressive, it doubt they have actually tried it with that many drives. Even if they did, how fast would Windows Media Center be with 12,500 titles in it? I was not impressed with their interface when I had 150 titles in it.

A friend of mine has about 600 movies on a Windows Media Centre...it works for him as he freely admits he likes spending time with his computer managing his collection.

K state in their Faq their interface is good up to about 8000 titles. A WMC with 12500 titles may require a lot time in front of screen that's not playing movies.

I think I will wait for a blue box that holds 320 BR discs........still looking forward to the IDV.

What are MDV owners going to do with their MDV's when the IDV becomes available? Are Kaleidescape likely to offer a trade-up deal on those? Or will there be a flood of cheap MDV's released to the 2nd hand market on eBay etc? Might you be able to reverse engineer it so it can be used outside the Kaleidescape environment?

The manufacturer says you can connect 127 of them to the same PC.
http://www.dacal.com.tw/index.html
So I guess it has been tested. But you do need Windows home server to batch load BR.

I will state again, just because a manufacturer website says 127 can be connected doesn't mean they have actually tested that. It means there are 2^7-1 addresses possible. It does not mean that they actually put 127 devices onto a single PC and tried to see if it worked as intended. I have seen so many computer devices that stated what they could do but the reality is that they do not always perform as stated. It may well work, but I suspect there will be unexpected complications once one gets near the theoretical limit.

Also, having WHS to allow batch loading would help but what kind of storage array would you have to have to allow 12,700 Blurays to batch load? That would be 508 TB of data! Using RAID arrays with 3TB drives and 16 drives per array with only one parity drive and no hot swaps would yield 45 TB per array (not counting loss from converting from hard drive state sizes to windows sizes) and so you would need 12 arrays. I don't know what kind of serverboard it would take to handle that many RAID controllers nor what kind of case could handle that many drives, the power required and the cooling needed. If it was built, I for certain would LOVE to see some pictures of it.

Speaking of seeing impressive pictures, I would LOVE to see a photo of this install:

Q: How many independent zones of movies and music can be played simultaneously with a Kaleidescape movie server?
A: A 1U or 3U Server can serve DVD movies or music to up to 45 zones simultaneously; and can serve Blu-ray movies to up to 5 zones simultaneously.

A Kaleidescape System can serve enough movie and music zones for any practical purpose — even for the largest palaces and yachts in the world. The number of zones that can be played at the same time depends on the types of movies or music that are being played (e.g., Blu-ray vs. DVD), and on how many servers and disk cartridges are used. Each movie player can deliver either a movie or music to one zone. The Music Player can simultaneously serve up to four independent music zones.

Kaleidescape engineers have demonstrated that an individual 1U or 3U Server has the ability to simultaneously deliver DVD movies and music to 45 independent zones, even if all of the movies and music are coming from the same disk cartridge. We expect that a properly designed and installed system with 12 servers can support as many as 200 simultaneous independent zones. Kaleidescape's largest installation to date has 87 players.

What are MDV owners going to do with their MDV's when the IDV becomes available? Are Kaleidescape likely to offer a trade-up deal on those? Or will there be a flood of cheap MDV's released to the 2nd hand market on eBay etc? Might you be able to reverse engineer it so it can be used outside the Kaleidescape environment?

I can only tell you about me. I won't be selling my Vaults. Ive already laid out the money to buy them- theres no real value for me to consolidate the discs I have already in vaults. I am fortunate that I have players in locations where attaching a Vault was easy and not an eyesore.

I view the IDV as a different product from the MDV and as such Im not expecting them to provide upgrade pricing- though- an upgrade program is usually welcomed.

However, when I need more capacity, I will look to an IDV.

Agreed, I'm keeping my MDV's and adding an IDV (or two).

Jim

I don't have an MDV due to lack of available rack space I am waiting for the IDV.

Even though MDV's only get a one year non extendable warranty I think they should be a good used buy. Once the MDV is full is does not have a very arduous life....should last many years....might even try to pick one up myself for possible future use.

That Dacal system that the link goes to at blurayvault.com is the carousel tha tMyMovies used to support, but dropped support for because it was unreliable. MyMovies now uses the Nimbie USB drive to batch import- it is not a carousel.

I thought the history of this whole thing saw Kaleidescape try a number of different carousel platforms, and the only one they could get to work reliably is the one they ended up with.

Back