• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

usage stats

Yetis

Hi,

Is there a way to see how much one has used their K system? Hours of watching, etc?

Thanks

That might be a bad thing to see. Be careful what you ask for.

I typed /played on my World of Warcraft account and realized I needed to spend less time playing WoW. I do expect to have some crazy high amounts of viewings on Elmo's World, Dora the Explorer and The Backyardigans videos on my system.

I bet Kaleidescape knows that type of usage info, but I don't think it's something users can get for themselves.

Not sure what the dealer portal shows for a particular dealer's customers... but maybe one of our dealer friends here can tell us.

We can see:

When the system last checked in.
Available storage, including vaults.
Percentage of recognised content.
kOS version.
A list of all components in the system, model numbers, serial numbers including all hard drives, temperatures, last known IP and warranty.

We can't see any play time stats or anything like that. Not sure if K can.

The server keeps logs of titles played and when. I know they can poll that data when looking to see what went wrong in order to troubleshoot an issue, but when I went through that once, listening to the tech on the other end of the phone, it sounded like he was scouring through a text file so I don't think they have a statistical analysis or any kind of tracking on their end. I would guess users would not want them too either.

"Did you watch Black Booty Bandits last night?"
"No"
"You sure? You watched Black Booty Bandits five times. Here, I can show you the logs."
"No, it must have been somebody else. Wrong number, wrong number."

Unfortunately I am looking at this from another perspective. Over the last three months, I think my K setup was used once. I never use it, as I simply don't have the time. always wanted a K setup and now that I have it...

I think for most of us the ease of use actually allows us to watch more movies than we would otherwise watch, but there are certainly "down" times when life takes over and priorities reduce the time available for watching movies.

This time of the year is a perfect example for me, I'm at Notre Dame for all home football games (just returned from the Georgia Tech game), and there is no time for movie watching when I'm up there, and I certainly have less time when my kids are involved in their activities now that school has started. Perhaps you are just too busy at the moment!

Jim

Surpringly, I spend a fair amount of time watching "scenes", "songs" or "scripts" at times when I don't have the time for a full movie. It is one of my preferred ways to wind down.

I spend a lot more time using my K system than I ever did with my BR player.

John

Back