• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

US BR & 4K Releases for November & December 2023

Can anyone provide a list of upcoming content for Jan/Feb? Perhaps Blood Simple, since this is coming out soon on 4K? :D

Can anyone provide a list of upcoming content for Jan/Feb? Perhaps Blood Simple, since this is coming out soon on 4K? :D
Kaleidescape doesn’t announce upcoming content. They just show up. Hard to predict what will show up.

Added from Lionsgate
In HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1
In UHD with DTS-HD MA 5.1

On pre-order from Universal

Added concert film
The Rolling Stones: Voodoo Lounge (1994) in HD with DTS-HD Master 5.1 from Mercury Studios

On pre-order in UHD/HDR with Dolby Atmos from Marvel (should be released on January 16th)

30 days to start watching. 48 hours to finish once you start watching.
Little off topic, but the most relevant comment. I have a rental set to expire Friday morning (30 days). If I start this just before the expiration, will I get 2 days to watch it no matter what or will it still expire right at the 30 day mark?

Little off topic, but the most relevant comment. I have a rental set to expire Friday morning (30 days). If I start this just before the expiration, will I get 2 days to watch it no matter what or will it still expire right at the 30 day mark?
I can't speak to this from personal experience, but K's FAQ says, "Once you’ve rented a movie, you have 30 days to begin playing the movie. After initiating playback, you have 48 hours to finish watching it." I read this as you will get 2 days to watch it no matter what. Does anyone have a contrary experience to share?

I do know from personal experience that the 48 hours is strict. You can't begin playing a 2-hour movie at hour 47 without it stopping halfway through. But that's not what you're asking.

I'm guessing "Blood Simple" in 4K will not come to K any time soon. It's being released by Criterion and they don't generally share.

I can't speak to this from personal experience, but K's FAQ says, "Once you’ve rented a movie, you have 30 days to begin playing the movie. After initiating playback, you have 48 hours to finish watching it." I read this as you will get 2 days to watch it no matter what. Does anyone have a contrary experience to share?

I do know from personal experience that the 48 hours is strict. You can't begin playing a 2-hour movie at hour 47 without it stopping halfway through. But that's not what you're asking.
Figured I'd contact support to get an official answer. The 30 day window is in-fact, all inclusive of the start playing window. So you have exactly 30 days from the rental time regardless of the playback start date.

"The rental 'expires' 30 days (including time of day) from when the rental was made and will expire at that time even if you have not completed watching the movie.

Pausing it will not extend the window and the 48 hours to finish must still be within the original 30 day window."

Frasier (Season 1) & (Season 6) added in HD
Seasons 2 to 5 and 7 to 11 added as well in HD

Last edited:
Added in UHD/HDR & HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1 from Sony

Added in UHD/HDR & HD with DTS-HD MA 5.1 from Sony
Disappointed that here is no Atmos mix on K so far. Looks like Apple TV is the only streaming service offering a Atmos mix. Lossy at that.

It was available in the theaters in Atmos, Dolby Surround 7.1, IMAX 6 track and Dolby Digital according to the IMDB.

Figured I'd contact support to get an official answer. The 30 day window is in-fact, all inclusive of the start playing window. So you have exactly 30 days from the rental time regardless of the playback start date.

"The rental 'expires' 30 days (including time of day) from when the rental was made and will expire at that time even if you have not completed watching the movie.

Pausing it will not extend the window and the 48 hours to finish must still be within the original 30 day window."
I hate to contradict our own Support guys but in this case, this is just not correct information.

When you rent a title from the store, you get a 30-day rental window before the rental will expire and be deleted from your system. Once you play the title, you initiate a 48-hour playback window. Regardless of where you are in the 30-day rental window, when you initiate playback of the movie, you will always get a 48-hr playback window.

For example, here's a movie that's been rented for a while but not watched. It's going to expire in just under a day. It was 12 January when this particular series of events were run so the movie is due to expire on 13 January at 09:05:
1705070733479.png

I then initiate playback. Notice that the dialog box informs me that I can watch the movie as many times as I wish over the next 48 hours:
1705070783431.png

After choosing Start Rental and Play Movie, the movie starts playing. Once I stop playback, and return to the OSD, you can see that the rental expiration date has changed to be in 48 hours (so I've gained an extra day -- and 5 mins -- from when the movie would have originally expired):1705070930362.png

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I hate to contradict our own Support guys but in this case, this is just not correct information.

When you rent a title from the store, you get a 30-day rental window before the rental will expire and be deleted from your system. Once you play the title, you initiate a 48-hour playback window. Regardless of where you are in the 30-day rental window, when you initiate playback of the movie, you will always get a 48-hr playback window.

For example, here's a movie that's been rented for a while but not watched. It's going to expire in just under a day. It was 12 January when this particular series of events were run so the movie is due to expire on 13 January at 09:05:

I then initiate playback. Notice that the dialog box informs me that I can watch the movie as many times as I wish over the next 48 hours:

After choosing Start Rental and Play Movie, the movie starts playing. Once I stop playback, and return to the OSD, you can see that the rental expiration date has changed to be in 48 hours (so I've gained an extra day -- and 5 mins -- from when the movie would have originally expired):

Hope this helps.
Yep, you are absolutely correct. Mine was set to expire this morning so yesterday afternoon I went ahead and started it so she could see a few songs at least. I noticed the same - it extended 48 hours from the moment it started and is now good until tomorrow afternoon.

I guess now we know with a couple pieces of evidence.

A quick addendum to my earlier post. The 48-hour playback window extending past the 30-day rental window is subject to licensing restrictions. My example above is true for most rentals. However, rentals of titles from Disney or Fox do not permit the 48-hour playback window to extend past the 30-day rental window.

Back