• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

US BR & 4K Releases for November & December 2023

Added in HD
With Dolby Atmos (Mandarin)from Well Go USA Entertainment
With DTS-HD MA 5.1 from Lionsgate

In HD from Warner(TV)
In SD from PBS(TV)

Added in HD
With Dolby Atmos (Mandarin)from Well Go USA Entertainment
With DTS-HD MA 5.1 from Lionsgate

I have been meaning to watch this and the first one. I was looking to buy the Blu-rays the other day. What a surprise. I wish we got the first one too.

I'm really intrigued by "Cheers" being in HD. It originated in 1982 and ran through 1993, so I wonder what it looks like in HD. But I'm glad Paramount invested in upgrading it. It's disappointing, for example, that "Everybody Loves Raymond" - which is from a later era - is in SD.

I'm really intrigued by "Cheers" being in HD. It originated in 1982 and ran through 1993, so I wonder what it looks like in HD. But I'm glad Paramount invested in upgrading it. It's disappointing, for example, that "Everybody Loves Raymond" - which is from a later era - is in SD.

Yes, I am hoping for a HD upgrade as well for Raymond.

TV shows were shot and edited on mainly 35mm film and sometimes on 16mm until the late 80s. These shows transfer to HD very nicely. You just need to scan the 35mm films and clean them up (if you care). More importantly, these shows don’t have any CGI that needs to be re-generated in HD.

TV shows were often shot with video cameras (HDCAM or similar) from the late 80s until the late 00s. They were edited on D-1 (component) or D-3 (composite) digital tapes which are SD mediums. It is a very difficult and costly process to re-capture the video cam footage and re-edit them in a more modern editing environment. Furthermore, these video camera tapes didn’t have the generous fine detail that 35mm film cameras have. The new captures require heavy enhancements and still look barely HD.

Studios bother only if there is a market for such expensive projects. They tested the market with the Star Trek TNG seasons. TNG seasons were shot on a mix of 35mm and 16mm film but they were edited on D-3 tape therefore forever locked to SD resolutions. CBS went back to the original 35mm films, re-edited the entire show and re-rendered the special effects shots to bring us the native HD Blu-ray releases. They were priced high at around $80 a season (in the late 2000s money). The sales weren’t there. TV seasons in general don’t sell well on home video (even in the DVD days they sold poorly). That’s why we never got the later Star Trek shows or many other great shows from the 90s. By the early 2010s, TV shows were shot on HD digital cameras that can shoot in 1080p24 or higher. For example, Star Trek: Enterprise seasons were even broadcast in 1080i60 on TV.

I don’t know the situation with Raymond. I never watched the show. You need to investigate how they post processed the show. If it was in SD then it is unlikely they will spend the money to remaster them in HD (unless they just sell you the Blu-rays with upscaled pictures from the early SD masters as in the SG-1 seasons).

TV shows were shot and edited on mainly 35mm film and sometimes on 16mm until the late 80s. These shows transfer to HD very nicely. You just need to scan the 35mm films and clean them up (if you care). More importantly, these shows don’t have any CGI that needs to be re-generated in HD.

TV shows were often shot with video cameras (HDCAM or similar) from the late 80s until the late 00s. They were edited on D-1 (component) or D-3 (composite) digital tapes which are SD mediums. It is a very difficult and costly process to re-capture the video cam footage and re-edit them in a more modern editing environment. Furthermore, these video camera tapes didn’t have the generous fine detail that 35mm film cameras have. The new captures require heavy enhancements and still look barely HD.

Studios bother only if there is a market for such expensive projects. They tested the market with the Star Trek TNG seasons. TNG seasons were shot on a mix of 35mm and 16mm film but they were edited on D-3 tape therefore forever locked to SD resolutions. CBS went back to the original 35mm films, re-edited the entire show and re-rendered the special effects shots to bring us the native HD Blu-ray releases. They were priced high at around $80 a season (in the late 2000s money). The sales weren’t there. TV seasons in general don’t sell well on home video (even in the DVD days they sold poorly). That’s why we never got the later Star Trek shows or many other great shows from the 90s. By the early 2010s, TV shows were shot on HD digital cameras that can shoot in 1080p24 or higher. For example, Star Trek: Enterprise seasons were even broadcast in 1080i60 on TV.

I don’t know the situation with Raymond. I never watched the show. You need to investigate how they post processed the show. If it was in SD then it is unlikely they will spend the money to remaster them in HD (unless they just sell you the Blu-rays with upscaled pictures from the early SD masters as in the SG-1 seasons).

Raymond is in HD on other digital platforms.

Raymond is in HD on other digital platforms.
IMDB says the show was shot on 35mm and processed in Super35. They are from Paramount/HBO which have good track record of having decent remasters. Those streams are likely in native HD for this show. No Blu-ray disc release in any region. Based on this, I wouldn’t get these shows from Kaleidescape but stream them on iTunes or Vudu.

IMDB says the show was shot on 35mm and processed in Super35. They are from Paramount/HBO which have good track record of having decent remasters. Those streams are likely in native HD for this show. No Blu-ray disc release in any region. Based on this, I wouldn’t get these shows from Kaleidescape but stream them on iTunes or Vudu.

I have it on iTunes.

The Pod Generation (2023) in UHD/HD with DTS-HD Master 5.1 from Lionsgate (UK Only)

On pre-order in UHD/HDR from Warner

Available for purchase in UHD/HDR & HD with Dolby Atmos from A24

Happy New Year everyone !

Last edited:
Young Guns is up in 4K HDR. Hope Point Break follows shortly....... ;)

Could be a distribution change for the title. But the 4K disc is a license release, not a studio release.
Quit harshing my buzz, a boy can dream, can’t he? 😂 I have the HD version and am in no real rush to get it, but still hoping it’s not too far off.

It seems Shout has been using their own streaming channels to highlight the new upgrade, so hopefully they’re just holding a little extra window to drive disc sales. I’ll wait.

MacGyver all seasons in HD for $15 each. This is the show you watch when your Kaleidescape system intermittently hiccups. You will notice no hiccups after a few episodes.

Back