• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

US BR & 4K Releases for January & February 2024

Hope we start seeing more of the Sony catalog stuff. Guess Who's coming to dinner made it, but I'd like to see more of the Columbia classics that are being released, especially Punch Drunk Love, which is only in SD on K. I also hope we see the 4K of Paprika, which came out on disc this last week. Sony catalog stuff always feels like it lags on K.

Added in UHD/HDR with Dolby True-HD Atmos

Added in UHD/HDR with Dolby TrueHD Atmos from NBCUniversal

Added in UHD with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 from Warner Bros. Discovery

The Beekeeper is now available for Purchase

Added in UHD with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 from MGM

Added in UHD with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 from Warner Bros. Discovery

Was really hoping for HDR on this one.

Apparently releasing most catalog titles in HDR and providing alternate cuts of movies is no longer economically feasible.
I imagine it depends on the movie. Hypothetically K would have pretty darn good statistics for what movies sell or don't sell when it comes to catalog. So if the studio that provides the assets wants a high price for a new HDR version, K would probably have to weigh the costs and the recoup. If a movie like Contagion has a really low sell thru rate historically, maybe they are not as inclined to pay the premium.

I don't know if this is the case or not, but it makes sense to me from a business standpoint. I think if people feel strongly about a title not being in 4K HDR that they want (and know that is available), they should probably put a request in to movies@kaleidescape.com for it.

I count exactly one catalog title in HDR from Warner and Paramount in the last 6 months; The Fugitive.

Part of me wonders how much Disc2Digital affects this. Do they make more money on original sales?

I don't know if this is the case or not, but it makes sense to me from a business standpoint. I think if people feel strongly about a title not being in 4K HDR that they want (and know that is available), they should probably put a request in to movies@kaleidescape.com for it.
I assume it would be possible for them to update it to HDR if there's enough demand.

I count exactly one catalog title in HDR from Warner and Paramount in the last 6 months; The Fugitive.

Part of me wonders how much Disc2Digital affects this. Do they make more money on original sales?
Hmmm. I don't have a way to sort and figure out the six month timeline. But I looked at Warner and found the following titles that would be catalog:

Contagion UHD
Color Purple UHD
The Fugitive HDR
The Exorcist UHD
Enter the Dragon UHD
Rio Bravo HDR
East of Eden HDR
National Lampoon's Vacation HDR
Superman 2-4 HDR
Cool Hand Luke HDR
Rebel Without a Cause HDR
Maltese Falcon HDR
Magic Mike HDR
Training Day HDR

Since The Fugitive that you mentioned they have only added two movies in 4K (both in UHD) but looking at 4K catalog titles in my list, UHD is definitely the minority of their releases if you sort and look back by date added.

For Paramount:

Spongebob UHD
Up in the Air UHD
Face/Off UHD
Titanic HDR
Scrooge UHD
Sabrina UHD
Manchurian Candidate UHD
Flight UHD
Footloose UHD
Officer and a Gentleman UHD
Ferris Bueller UHD
World War Z UHD
The Saint HDR
Election HDR
Star Trek (4 titles) HDR
Once Upon a Time in the West HDR
Roman Holiday HDR
Crocodile Dundee 2 HDR
Hustle and Flow HDR
Dragonslayer HDR
Just like Heaven HDR
Revolutionary Road HDR
Sleepy Hollow HDR
Terms of Endearment HDR
Team America HDR
Cinema Paradiso HDR
Wayne's World 2 HDR
Pulp Fiction HDR

So definitely a trend with Paramount of more UHD lately than their previous trend of HDR. I wonder if their price model changed at some point because they were pretty much all HDR before (and no UHD). Most of the UHD titles with Paramount are lower tier catalog though with a few exceptions (Ferris, Footloose) but again, maybe K's sale history on these titles didn't reflect enough demand?? If I scroll down more it is obviously that Paramount has been one of the most prolific studios with getting K 4K titles though with the vast majority being in HDR until we hit World War Z and then since then it has shifted to far more UHD than HDR (Titanic being the exception, which is obviously an A+ catalog title). It is interesting scrolling through their catalog though. They are by far the studio with the largest catalog in 4K on the service by far.

Putting the pieces together, it seems like we are just caught in the crossfire of the streaming wars. All of these studios have invested and lost a ton of money on streaming services, most of them have been hammered by the unraveling of the cable bundle and they have also had to deal with a prolonged writer's strike. Just as they are hiking prices on streaming services it only stands to reason that they are hiking prices for digital retail distributors as well. It just sucks that K isn't big enough to weather the storm or push back like Apple is likely doing.

The fact that Apple does free upgrades to 4K and HDR for any title you've purchased previously likely means they have a sweetheart deal of some sort. Makes sense given their absolutely enormous number of users which probably makes K's user base look like the number of people that live on a single street of Apple's NYC.

Here are the studio announced US BR releases and 4K releases for January & February 2024.

Dates are the disc release dates/digital release dates (dig).

January 2nd:
The Marsh King’s Daughter – Lionsgate (Added xx)
The Holdovers – Universal Studio (Added xx)

January 9th:
Varsity Blues (4K) – Paramount

January 16th:
Billions: The Final Season – Showtime
Journey to Bethlehem - Sony
The Raid: Redemption (4K) - Sony

January 23rd:
Lawmen: Bass Reeves – Paramount
Special Ops: Lioness: Season 1 - Paramount
Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths Part I – Warner Bros. (Added 15 January 2024)

January 30th:
Silent Night - Lionsgate
Thanksgiving - Sony

February 6th:

February 13th:

Planet Earth III (4K) - BBC (Added in HD 15 January 2024)
The Marvels (4K) - Disney
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (4K) – Lionsgate (Added xx)
Priscilla – Lionsgate (Added XX)
Footloose (4K) – Paramount (Already on Store)
Ticket to Paradise (4K) – Universal (Already on Store)
Harriet (4K) – Universal (Already on Store)

February 20th:
The Last Castle (4K) – Kino Lorber (Already on Store)
Beverly Hills Cop III (4K) – Paramount (Already on Store)

February 27th:
Next Goal Wins – Disney
Contagion (4K) – Warner Bros.

As always, I will update the dates as titles are added to the store.

John
Any update on Planet Earth III 4K?

It is not available on streaming services in 4K, either, so not sure when this title will show up on digital platforms.

John

We will get it upgraded to UHD in a couple of years and then HDR in another three :)
Now available in UHD 😀

Back