• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Upgrading

rbienstock

I have the following system: a 5U K-3000 server with 6 400 GB cartridges, a reader and two movie players. I'm just about of space on the server, so if nothing else, I'm going to need more cartridges. But as the 5U server is at the end of its life, I'm unsure as to whether that is the right way to go. So I have a bunch of questions and my dealer hasn't been much help, so I'll ask them here:

First, and I know that it is too much to hope for, but is there any form of trade-in on a 5U server against the new 3U servers?

If there's no trade-in, what is the real world cost of a 3U server. I priced one out and the quote had three lines on it, (1) Kaleidescape System for Movies, $10K, (2) 1U to 5U server upgrade, $11.25K, (3) 3U server, $0. That seems like an odd pricing structure, but so be it. Given that I already own a Kaleidescape server, do I already own the "Kaleidescape System for Movies", whatever that is? Is there a price for a 5U to 3U transition?

Is my lifetime subscription to the Kaleidescape guide transferable to a new server?

If there is no official route to go from 5U to 3U (a bummer considering how much this stuff cost and the fact that we 5U owners were basically keeping Kaleidescape in business when it looked like they could get sued into oblivion), then I guess I have to stick with my 5U unit. As I understand it, the maximum size cartrige that will ever be available for the 5U system is 750 GB. Can I add 750GB cartridges to a server that already has 400 GB cartridges on it? Can I move my existing data onto 750MB cartridges somehow?

Finally, I have questions about the new Movie Player 2 units. Other than the fact that the new player integrates the reader and player into a single unit, is there anything that the Movie Player 2 can do that you couldn't do with the old Player/Reader combo?

I can answer one of your questions. You can mix a combination of 400 GB and 750 GB drives on a 5U server. I currently have a 5U server that has 6 of each. I believe that you would need to add at least 2 of the 750 GB drives initially due to the mechanics of the RAID technology that is used.

I am interested in hearing answers to your other questions as I am also interested in upgrading my capacity.

Scott

Finally, I have questions about the new Movie Player 2 units. Other than the fact that the new player integrates the reader and player into a single unit, is there anything that the Movie Player 2 can do that you couldn't do with the old Player/Reader combo?
I also only have MP1's in my setup, but I know the MP2 also allows for direct playback of a disc, most likely obviating the need for a standalone DVD player in your equipment if you've been keeping one around to play rented or borrowed movies. That's something you can't do with a combination MP1/Reader. There may be other differences that someone else may know...

And I'll echo what Scott said - I have a server with 8x500gb drives and 4x750gb drives. No problem mixing them. You can add a single 750gb drive to your system for more space, but it will only give you the equivalent space of a 400gb drive in your case. You do need to add at least 2 of the larger capacity drives before you see the benefit of the larger space, due to the way the RAID is implemented.
--josh

There is no official trade-in program to upgrade servers. Selling privately is your best course if the goal is to move to only 3U servers.

You CAN link a new 3U Server to your 5U Server to increase your storage capacity, and NO you do not need to buy a new playback license, nor do you need to pay again for the lifetime subscription to updates and movie guide services. The fee you already paid includes any new server you are adding to your system. The reason for this is that you are not buying a complete system, you are only buying an additional server to increase the storage capability of your current system.

Pricing is up to each individual dealer. To increase your storage capability, as stated above, you only need the new 3U server (at the individual server price) and whatever number of storage drives you want/need (you will need to have the RAID capacity set aside, as well as a Hot Swap drive to take advantage of that capability). The RAID portion only has to increase the difference in capacity to support the highest storage capability drive you have in the system (as stated by the other posters above).

Josh has already answered your Movie Player question.

As far as swapping out your 400's for 750's, YES, this can be done but you should contact your dealer, or Kaleidescape if the dealer is not helpful, to arrange to have this done. K charges a fee to move your collection and they "may" require that you send your DVD collection to them for importing. They may also "wipe" (delete) the content from the 400's making them useable for someone that might be interested in buying those from you (some people still have smaller drives in their 5U's).

An alternative is to delete your collection yourself, order new 750's, and re-import your collection. Again, I recommend speaking with your dealer or K before embarking on this procedure to insure there are no issues with your system.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck!

Jim

A lot of that depends on whether you have an older analogue player or the digital player (ie. with or without HDMI). If you have a digital player, you wouldn't see a dramatic difference by upgrading to a Movie Player 2 although the MP2 does have a newer video processor and a faster CPU so cover shuffling and list browsing would be snappier.

However, if you have one of the original players (the model with no HDMI connector) then you would see significant improvement in both speed and image quality.

Good info on the players. For some reason I assumed he had the digital version players.:confused:

Jim

In your position, I would just keep adding hard drives to the 5U (750 GB I believe is the max for the 5U drives) until I fill up the 5U- I believe it has 12 spots- so you have 6 to go. When you need to get even more storage, then its time to get the new 3U server. I am running a loaded 5U and recently added a 3U with zero problems. It was very easy.

My dealer wants $1,250 each for the 750GB drives. Does that sound like the going rate for drives for a 5U server?

My dealer wants $1,250 each for the 750GB drives. Does that sound like the going rate for drives for a 5U server?

Dealers are not restricted on pricing. Although K has an msrp, dealers are free to charge whatever they think is fair given the circumstances of the sale (what is being purchased, driving distance, paperwork hassle, etc.). That said, the price you were quoted is at, or very close to, the going rate. Also consider that dealer margins on drives and other accessories/add-ons is very small so discounting is unusual, if done at all. I encourage you to support your original dealer.:)

No dealer is permitted to post pricing, and like other forums, the administrator has requested posts only contain MSRP on manufacturer's products. This does not apply to private seller's posting used gear for sale, and whatever info is exchanged by PM.

Also, JerryL is correct. The 750gb disks are the largest capacity disks for 5U Servers. At last word, there will NOT be any 1TB disks for 5U's.

Jim

Back