• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Upgrade 3U Server with 2TB Discs

uwew

next week i?ll get my 2tb discs..

my 3u is actually filled with 8 750g discs, 6 slots are empty.

the problem is : i cannot find any information about upgrading here in the forum or on k?s site.

i thought of filling up the empty spaces with the new discs and later remove the old ones one by one giving time to rebuild, but I'm not sure if that?s the right way to do it..

uwe

The best method for changing smaller for larger disks in to have all the new disks ordered at one time and have your content replicated from the smaller disks to the larger disks by your dealer. This will require an additional server to use in the replication, but dealers normally have a server for this purpose, or can get one from K.

Although intentionally failing single disks to later install a larger disk does work, it is not the preferred method, and is not recommended or endorsed by K. That said, other owner's here have done this successfully.

Jim

I had a drive fail and I when I replaced it I realized you could do it this way- but as Jim says, the best way is to borrow/ rent a spare server.

thanks for the fast replies !!

what i didn´t say :) : i also ordered a new server (fully loaded 2tb) and that one is already here, so it would be easy to copy to that one.. what else is needed then?

You only need K to "authorize" the replication (not hard to do). Your dealer can request this through the dealer extranet, it only takes a few minutes and this will allow you to transfer the content on the 3U w/the 750's to the new Server.

If you plan to use the 2TB's you first mentioned (not sure I understand correctly) and if those are separate from the second Server you bought, you can remove all of the disks from the new 3U, replace those with the separate 2TB's you ordered (assuming that's the case), and then replicate the 750's to that new 3U. After replication is complete, you can then put those 2TB's into the Server currently holding the 750s, and return the other new 2TBs back into the new Server you ordered.

Basically, you are "borrowing" the new 3U to use for replication.

Jim

Just know that replication takes about 1 day per TB of data. That means if your 3U server with 8 of the 750GB drives is full of content, it will take 4 1/2 days to replicate the data. If you are using your other server chassis, you will effectively take all that content offline and then will be watching the content off of your existing 3U server for the better part of a week until you are done and can reload your other drive set into the second 3U server.

This replication process is something I suspect will become an issue with larger drives unless they find a way to speed up the process. With my 3U server fully loaded with 2TB drives, replication will take 24 days. When they have 4TB drives, replication will take 48 days. But for now, it is the fastest and best way we have and isn't too much of an issue for the amount of storage currently available.

You only need K to "authorize" the replication (not hard to do). Your dealer can request this through the dealer extranet, it only takes a few minutes and this will allow you to transfer the content on the 3U w/the 750's to the new Server.

If you plan to use the 2TB's you first mentioned (not sure I understand correctly) and if those are separate from the second Server you bought, you can remove all of the disks from the new 3U, replace those with the separate 2TB's you ordered (assuming that's the case), and then replicate the 750's to that new 3U. After replication is complete, you can then put those 2TB's into the Server currently holding the 750s, and return the other new 2TBs back into the new Server you ordered.

Basically, you are "borrowing" the new 3U to use for replication.

Jim
Unless you plan to keep the content permanently separated, wouldn't replicating onto the fully-loaded server, and then swapping out the drives (presuming they have o/s to begin with) on the old server once done be easier?
Mr.Poindexter said:
This replication process is something I suspect will become an issue with larger drives unless they find a way to speed up the process. With my 3U server fully loaded with 2TB drives, replication will take 24 days. When they have 4TB drives, replication will take 48 days. But for now, it is the fastest and best way we have and isn't too much of an issue for the amount of storage currently available.
Agreed. It would be nice to have intra-chasis replication options (even if it means disk-swapping.) Then again, whether to keep from choking-off the other traffic, or some other reason, I suspect they aren't trying using the full available network bandwidth.

Unless you plan to keep the content permanently separated, wouldn't replicating onto the fully-loaded server, and then swapping out the drives (presuming they have o/s to begin with) on the old server once done be easier?....

Sure, which is why I said "if" because I don't know his plans. (I did re-read my post and can see it was not clear, so thanks for the comment.:))

Jim

thanks for the tips, after k enabled replication it took 56 hours to copy everything to the new server without any errors...

then i moved these disks to the old server and filled server no2. with the new disks.

now i have 52 tb to fill, but unfortunately the 3 m700?s are more than 4 weeks late :-((

thank you all for the fast help!

uwew

Glad that went well.:)

You "should" see the M700's in the near future. K has been hard at work filling a very heavy demand. (Dealer's were told from the beginning that these would take awhile to get given the demand. Some of us had client orders pending from day one, others ordered later and found the line to be rather long.)

My understanding is that K expects/hopes to be caught up with orders within the next few weeks.

Jim

They will be caught up with all pending orders over the next couple of weeks.:)

Jim

Back