• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Updates from Kaleidescape Marketing

AmandaDavis

◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
Hi fellow Kaleidescape owners! I’m a longtime Kaleidescape employee and owner, and I’m looking forward to contributing to the forum.

A little bit about me – I’ve been at Kaleidescape for over 16 years and am currently the director of marketing and sales enablement. I’m responsible for strategy and execution of a variety of programs including branding, digital marketing, dealer & customer communications, and the corporate website. Prior to that, I ran our movie marketing team for five years and led our synopsis writing and editing team for 12 years.

I intend to use this thread to post Kaleidescape updates. While chatter and questions are welcome, I may not monitor the thread closely enough to be effective at answering everything. With that in mind, try to keep your questions/comments brief and targeted. I may ask for feedback from time to time, though, so don’t feel like you have to stay totally quiet. :)

We recently launched a new video series on YouTube called Kaleidescape Insiders. In this series, we provide a glimpse into Kaleidescape, covering tips & tricks, the latest news and product updates, as well as interviews with Kaleidescape employees and partners.

If you haven’t already watched them, our first episodes can be found here:

Intro to the Movie Store

Disc-to-Digital Program with André Floyd

Favorite Kaleidescape Scenes with Gerald Corpuz

We have a slate of topics on deck, but let me know if you have any special requests.

Be sure to follow our YouTube channel and subscribe to the Kaleidescape Insiders playlist for more.

Welcome Amanda, so glad to have you participating here on the forum, and I've been enjoying the "Insiders" series.

While I know that the Insiders series seems targeted to consumer "how-to" topics, since you asked, I'd love to eventually see a behind-the-scenes look at how movies get added to the library and how all the movieguide data gets added. Would love to see some details like how extras, soundtracks, captions, and scenes get added by the Kaleidescape team and the breakdown of what gets done by the studio, the distributors (if any), and the internal Kaleidescape team.

Welcome Amanda, so glad to have you participating here on the forum, and I've been enjoying the "Insiders" series.

While I know that the Insiders series seems targeted to consumer "how-to" topics, since you asked, I'd love to eventually see a behind-the-scenes look at how movies get added to the library and how all the movieguide data gets added. Would love to see some details like how extras, soundtracks, captions, and scenes get added by the Kaleidescape team and the breakdown of what gets done by the studio, the distributors (if any), and the internal Kaleidescape team.
I would also love to witness this process. For example, of how Kaleidescape works with the Mezzanine file and applies optimized codecs.

I would love to see a chat about how you get content from the studios. What the p4ocess is and what kscape has control over and what not. From example, who in the process dictates what version of movie comes to kscape.

I think the most important callout here is determining the audio track. My guess here is on some titles other platforms have an atmos track because it is a lossy near field mix optimized for soundbars and you and/or the studios opt for a lossless mix of a non-object oriented variety where your customer's processor can then upmix, if desired by the end user.

It would be phenomenal if kscape discussed this as well as licensing issues when the above is not the case for audio track variation across platforms.

I think the most important callout here is determining the audio track. My guess here is on some titles other platforms have an atmos track because it is a lossy near field mix optimized for soundbars and you and/or the studios opt for a lossless mix of a non-object oriented variety where your customer's processor can then upmix, if desired by the end user.

It would be phenomenal if kscape discussed this as well as licensing issues when the above is not the case for audio track variation across platforms.
Agreed. I'm pretty sure most of the kscape userbase would be interested in this as it's a recurring conversation among us.

Amanda, when a movie transitions from HD to UHD, what's the process like? Is it a full rescan of the source film to 4K or just an upsample? Also, how does color grading and VFX enhancements factor into the upgrade? If Audio is also upgraded? It would be nice if the movie store would provide some details about the upgrade.

Amanda, when a movie transitions from HD to UHD, what's the process like? Is it a full rescan of the source film to 4K or just an upsample? Also, how does color grading and VFX enhancements factor into the upgrade? If Audio is also upgraded? It would be nice if the movie store would provide some details about the upgrade.
This all depends on the studio, they would do all of this and send the mezzanine video and audio file to K and they would take this and compress with x265 and add it to the store with whatever audio is sent.

Yeah, just to echo what Hunter67 said, we never do upscales of content that we previously offered in HD. If we add 4K, it's because a studio has made a new 4K asset available.

Let me rephrase: It would be helpful if the movie store provided details about the upgrade. List the enhancements, including color grading, clean-up, or other preservation efforts. Many enthusiasts would appreciate the kind of nerdy stuff about movie preservation. They must provide you all with the details of this new release\re-release.

Let me rephrase: It would be helpful if the movie store provided details about the upgrade. List the enhancements, including color grading, clean-up, or other preservation efforts. Many enthusiasts would appreciate the kind of nerdy stuff about movie preservation. They must provide you all with the details of this new release\re-release.
This second post of yours seems like it should go in the "Features Request" forum rather than a request to Amanda for topics to cover in her YouTube videos?

This second post of yours seems like it should go in the "Features Request" forum rather than a request to Amanda for topics to cover in her YouTube videos?
Yes, indeed. I was putting it out there, assuming that Amanda is involved in this aspect of marketing.

We recently launched a new video series on YouTube called Kaleidescape Insiders. In this series, we provide a glimpse into Kaleidescape, covering tips & tricks, the latest news and product updates, as well as interviews with Kaleidescape employees and partners.

Intro to the Movie Store

We have a slate of topics on deck, but let me know if you have any special requests.

Be sure to follow our YouTube channel and subscribe to the Kaleidescape Insiders playlist for more.
Amanda, I am new to Kaleidescape. I just completed my dream theater room with the help of my tech team and builder in Dec. 2023, and I initially didn’t own Kaleidescape. I used my room for about 2 months and then added the Kaleidescape which has made all the difference, especially since I could see the streaming difference. I really enjoy these videos. More videos on Dolby Atmos specialization and high fidelity (lossless video) content are wonderful. I enjoy hearing from the various sound artists. Some visual effects or special effects artists and how they push 4K HDR would be cool to hear from too.

Intro to the Movie Store

Welcome Amanda. I would love the option to delete any digital offers from my list on the App. I have many left offer because I decided to buy the content set instead or I decided Im not interested in ever buying this movie I owned on Blu-ray or DVD anymore and its getting a bit messy. A couple of friends I have talked into getting a system have said the same thing when using disc to digital.

Hi Amanda,
Thanks for sharing your content and speaking directly with your customers!! As a consumer who has just invested in your system [ And this is my first post btw ] Its a good feeling to know that the company is listening to their customers. Great videos!!

I also wanted to add an idea.... As a lifetime enthusiast of AV I feel if I might like this others might to....

IDEA #1 👀 [ more ideas to come in the future ]
People with Kscape systems tend to have large systems and enjoy a theatrical experience.

Why not add all the much loved Dolby, DTS, IMAX, AURO3D, THX sound format intro sequences to the platform. Imagine if we could download them and have a simple feature in the menus to randomly assign a format 30 second intro that corresponds to the movie you're about to watch. When you press play Kscape would....

- Black screen with some information coming through to enable the handshake to the processor and projector [ 3 seconds would be about right...]
- Play the intro - We all sit back and marvel as well as congratulate Kscape for being so unique and great and ohhh and ahhhh on how this feels EVEN MORE LIKE THE CINEMA 😆
- Then the movie commences..

It's really super simple and a low hanging fruit that could really amplify your consumers experience, add value and of course you could write up a lovely press release along with your sound technology partners and introduce as a new feature.

They would also make for GREAT demo clips also!

Trinnov just released a bunch of their own for free download which is both cool and useless to me as I have no way to play them....

Just a dopey idea from a new customer who loves your product and who would love to see additional value added over time.

Back