• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Upcoming Premier Encore Merging

I was wondering if the Premier and Encore merging that is upcoming will allow one to access both via the Kscape app on an I pad rather than having to choose one or the other ?

The coming update would put the premier server in a special mode where it could still import discs, but all playback would occur on encore components.

It's my understanding that any M class players would join the encore system, essentially becoming encore players. There fore the app would only be connecting to the encore system, which should allow switching between all encore players (strato, alto, & M class).

Kevin D.

The Premiere system would still support music playback, if you have imported CDs to the system. So, somebody might want to use the iPad app to control a player on the Premiere system for that purpose. We have not announced plans for the iPad app to support quick switching between two systems, but it's something we would like to do.

Once a premier line server has been put into this 'special mode' can this mode be reserved or turned off so it can be used as a normal premier line system again?

Once a premier line server has been put into this 'special mode' can this mode be reserved or turned off so it can be used as a normal premier line system again?

Great question. I was also wondering about this.

Wayne

That should be possible, i.e. when someone sells a Premiere Server as a separate component, but not sure what, if anything, has to be done to accomplish the change. Maybe one our K (Mike or J.) poster's can confirm.

Jim

Once the Encore - Premier hybrid "switch" is done...

1) Can one continue to import CDs and Blu Ray content to be stored on the Premier server?
2) Can all players (Encore or Premier) be used to replay imported Premier content?
3) Assuming "2" is yes/true, has Kscape published in a development kit, whitepaper, or by other means how to full control this hybrid system to the remote control vendors like Crestron/AMX/Control 4 yet?

Thanks

The Premiere system would still support music playback, if you have imported CDs to the system. So, somebody might want to use the iPad app to control a player on the Premiere system for that purpose. We have not announced plans for the iPad app to support quick switching between two systems, but it's something we would like to do.

Once the Encore - Premier hybrid "switch" is done...

1) Can one continue to import CDs and Blu Ray content to be stored on the Premier server?
2) Can all players (Encore or Premier) be used to replay imported Premier content?
3) Assuming "2" is yes/true, has Kscape published in a development kit, whitepaper, or by other means how to full control this hybrid system to the remote control vendors like Crestron/AMX/Control 4 yet?

Thanks

1. Yes *BUT* the Encore range doesn't support CD's so you will need to keep as many players as needed for music only playback. These players will only see music (no movies) stored on the server.
2. Yes (but not CD's, see above)
3. Not yet.

:)

What's the status of the Premier-->Encore upgrade functionality?

Anyone have any more information on the promised full premier server integration into Encore systems? I'm ready to upgrade displays to 4K-HDR and buy a Strato player or two, but I'm confused on what functionality has been released, and what is still promised but not yet delivered by Kaleidescape?

This document, referenced by Mike Kobb, describes the promised upgrade and still says to expect this functionality by "mid-2016", but as we know that was put before Kaleidescape's financial struggles.

As of today, would the Strato still be totally distinct and separate from the Premier system and its content?

My understanding is that, for now, the Strato can access discs in my DV700 and content purchased from the K download store, if re-downloaded and stored in the Alto, OR if they're transferred from the 3U premier server to the Alto over my LAN, a function only accessible by a dealer. Is this correct?

--josh

Last edited:
The Strato can only access DVD disks from the DV700 at this point. It can not access blurays. Only the Alto can do that. Something they want to add later as it was one of the complicated features they were trying to add prior to their financial issues. SJ

The Strato can only access DVD disks from the DV700 at this point. It can not access blurays. Only the Alto can do that. Something they want to add later as it was one of the complicated features they were trying to add prior to their financial issues. SJ

Ugh, that's no good. Hopefully someone from Kaleidescape will update us on progress soon. If I'm really losing access to all my blu-ray disc content, I won't do the upgrade.

Thanks

Howdy folks,

The migration feature depends upon adding support for Blu-ray disc playback on Strato. As we announced after the company restructured, that's still on our roadmap, but we're doing our level best not to pre-announce dates. I'm going to quote from our September customer letter: "[W]e have re-prioritized Blu-ray disc support for Strato, which we hope to introduce in a 2017 release of kOS."

Obviously we understand that both Blu-ray disc support and migration are important features. It's a matter of allocating engineering resources among many very important projects.

Thanks for the update Mike.

The M700's internal player can only be used with a Premiere system, so you would need a Premiere server to utilize that player.

An Alto can only use an M700 as a vault (i.e. as if it were a DV700). The internal player in the M700 is disabled when connected to an Alto.

Thanks guys, so at the moment, I need to either wait for the software support, or buy a 1U and the M700 to use my existing bluray collection?

Back