• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CONFIRMED FIXED: Unable to import: "King of Kong"

Okay boys, just heard from an Xperinet dealer/friend.

Cant load Rush Hour 3 which is also a New Line release and The Kingdom which isn't a New Line release. Any of you guys also have trouble with Rush Hour 3 or The Kingdom?

I'm starting to see a trend here. And make no mistake that as soon as New Line realizes they have a new 'trick' to beat the servers all the other studios will have it as well.

I was just able to import The Kingdom with no problems (it was the combo version of the movie if that makes any difference).

I don't have Rush Hour 3 so I can't try that one.

Scott

Well, I got King of Kong to import, but not "natively". AnyDVD came in handy (I use it for portable rips) and, with this particular brand of problematic copy protection garbage removed from the copy I made, it imported just fine. I expect K will have a fix, but I didn't want to wait.

Jeff

I did not have a problem importing Rush Hour 3, and it plays back without issues. Not sure why others are having difficulty with this DVD.

Jim

Hi Guys,

SORRY!!! This is REALLY :eek::eek::eek:. I went to check on Rush Hour 3 only to find it was not imported. I asked my wife what happened to the movie and she indicated it didn't import. Apparently I was not paying attention the evening after I THOUGHT we imported it and did not know that my wife actually played back the movie on our BR player (I missed the first 10 minutes of the movie).

I can confirm that Rush Hour 3 is indeed a problem for me as well.:(:(

I'll be waiting for the fix!!

:eek:Jim:eek:

Just adding to the list: Mr Woodcock (New Line) is another DVD that will not import. (After watching the movie, I'm glad it didn't import.:D)

Jim

I heard back from Kaleidescape on this last week. Unfortunately, they would only acknowledge the problem and confirm that it is a high priority to be fixed. They wouldn't give an ETA but said it won't be in the next few weeks.

We should be hearing some positive news on "Hairspray" and "Rush Hour 3" soon.

Unfortunately, "Rendition," another New Line Cinema DVD, will not import. This has been reported to K.

Jim

Interesting info guys. My hope is this is simply a coincidence and not intentional on the part of NewLine.

If Newline is indeed deliberately finding new copy protection methods to stop importing discs then they may want to take a valuable lesson from Sony who landed themselves in hot water for their copy protection attempt on CD's in 2005.

This Extended copy protection (XCP) created vulnerabilities on Microsoft Windows operating systems when the software was automatically installed.

It also affected playback on some players which we personally experienced on some pro Denon gear.

A number of parties filed lawsuits against Sony BMG which resulted in a product recall of the 52 titles that were using the technology.
This little experiment would have come at a cost of 10?s of millions of dollars only to backfire.

It's not the first time Sony has attempted DRM and won't be the last but they have managed to upset a large number of consumers in the process. When Sony was approached by one customer about the issue, the response was ?it's up to the manufacturers of the DVD players to update their firmware to accommodate the new DRM?.

Since when did Sony earn the right to dictate what other manufacturers should be doing and is Sony willing to pay these costs incurred because of their actions?

I'm a big believer that if the movie or music is good, then you will shell out the bucks and purchase the original CD or DVD.

Kaleidescape have really been singled out by the DVD CCA and associated bodies over other product manufacturers like AMX MAX who is doing exactly the same thing!

The only difference that I can see is that Kaleidescape present one of the most polished and high performing products to be produced by our industry and the comments on this forum by owners is a tribute to this.

It is complete lunacy to think that someone who can afford to purchase a system like Kaleidescape is a bigger threat than someone who can afford a computer with a DVD or Blu-ray drive and some software which they either got for free or pirated!

Kaleidescape have been very careful throughout the development of this product to ensure that they are not infringing on copyright laws and agreements. They have an extensive investment that I personally can?t see them not protecting to the very end, much the same way I would with my own business.

In the end, I have no doubt that K will solve this New Line Cinema import issue.

The Sony conduct you described really hurt Sony with a lot of consumers. I've got friends that to this day will not buy any Sony product because of the incident you described.

Jim

K just let me know that they are "hard at work" to resolve the New Line import issues, and they have an accurate list of the problem titles (they were aware of "Rendition").

Jim

OK, I can finally say that this bug is FIXED... King Of Kong, Hairspray, and the other problem discs (mostly from New Line) import perfectly with KEAOS version 6.5.4, which I've been beta testing for a few weeks. All users should get it by the end of this week or early next week.

It was a while in coming, but Kaleidescape did indeed fix this and restore my confidence.

--josh

Back